The Student Room Group

Computer Science Applicants' thread 2023 Entry

Are you applying to study Computer Science at University this year?
Well this is the place for you!
:party:

Post below with details about your...

Specific Course:
Universities you're applying to:
A level / IB / Higher grades:
GCSE grades:
Random question:

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.

You may also want to have a look at this HUGE LIST of other applicants threads for all the universities you're applying to as well as potential other courses if you're a joint honours student.:woo:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Specific Course: CS, Cybersecurity, Mathematical Computation
Universities you're applying to: Cam, st andrews, ucl, Warwick, liverpool
A level / IB / Higher grades: 42/45 776
GCSE grades: AAABBC (I rly messed up cuz I was online for a long time right after I moved to an English speaking school(no prior english speaking experience))
Random question: is anybody getting offers from Cambridge for interview
Reply 2
Specific Course: Computer Science BSc / MSci
Universities you're applying to: UCL, KCL, Edinburgh, Bristol, Manchester
A level / IB / Higher grades: Maths A*, Further Maths A*, Physics B
GCSE grades: A*AAAAC
Random question: Did anyone get any offers or invitations for any of those universities? I applied on the 7th of September but still haven’t got anything except for a letter that says I got put on hold for Bristol… For those who did apply for those unis, what are your grades and when did you apply?
Original post by 04MR17

Specific Course:
GCSE grades:
Random question:

You may also want to have a look at this HUGE LIST of other applicants threads for all the universities you're applying to as well as potential other courses if you're a joint honours student.:woo:

Hello!

Specific Course: Computer Science / Mathematics & Computer Science
Universities Applying To: Edinburgh, Bristol (2 courses), Durham & KCL
GCSEs: 99988888777
A Levels: A*A*A predictions in Maths, Physics & Computer Science + self-studying AS Further Maths
Random Question: Any CS offers yet?
Original post by sk0917
Random question: Did anyone get any offers or invitations for any of those universities? I applied on the 7th of September but still haven’t got anything except for a letter that says I got put on hold for Bristol… For those who did apply for those unis, what are your grades and when did you apply?

I believe Bristol puts on hold most applicants (just until everyone’s applied), unless your application is exceptional.

I’ve been hearing that last year you needed 3A*s to get an offer though :frown: - 33% offer rate!!

I hope it’s not true else I’m being rejected for both options.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by kelrasheed
I believe Bristol puts on hold most applicants (just until everyone’s applied), unless your application is exceptional.

I’ve been hearing that last year you needed 3A*s to get an offer though :frown: - 33% offer rate!!

I hope it’s not true else I’m being rejected for both options.

Well I’m re-applying after finishing my first year of mechanical engineering, and I got 1st class for my first year so I’m hoping they will accept those grades additionally :smile:
Honestly the entry requirements for CS has gone up exponentially throughout the past few years due to the competition to get in… I can’t believe the minimum entry requirements for manchester is 3 A*s…
btw can I ask you what your grades were?
I really hope we both are lucky enough to be accepted to the unis we applied to :smile: good luck!
Original post by sk0917
Well I’m re-applying after finishing my first year of mechanical engineering, and I got 1st class for my first year so I’m hoping they will accept those grades additionally :smile:
Honestly the entry requirements for CS has gone up exponentially throughout the past few years due to the competition to get in… I can’t believe the minimum entry requirements for manchester is 3 A*s…
btw can I ask you what your grades were?
I really hope we both are lucky enough to be accepted to the unis we applied to :smile: good luck!

Oooh nice, yea that’ll work in your favour.

8A* 3A at GCSE, A*A*A predictions at A Level.

Didn’t even bother applying to Manchester because there’s a very low chance I’m getting 3 A*s, A*A*A more likely (if I revise properly).
Original post by 04MR17

Specific Course:
GCSE grades:
Random question:

Specific Course: Computer Science with Year in Industry Bsc

Universities: Birmingham, Bristol, Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham

Grades: 93% CBSE(A*A*A when converted)

Question: Is Leeds good for computer science, I wanted to make it my insurance however the NSS survey shows a 30% satisfaction rate, if anyone has any advise it would be great. Im an international applicant btw.
Original post by 04MR17

Specific Course:
GCSE grades:
Random question:

Specific Course: Computer Science Bsc/MSci, Applied Maths + Computer Science
Universities you're applying to: Queen's University Belfast, University of Edinburgh, and University of Sussex
A level / IB / Higher grades: A*AAA (A Levels)
GCSE grades: A*A*A*AAAAAB
Random question: Is anyone hearing back from the University of Edinburgh??
Original post by sk0917

Haven't heard back from Edinburgh yet! Don't know about the rest of them
Reply 10
I had applied and received offers for masters from below universities

1) University of Sussex
2) Northumbria University

Question: I am now confused which one to confirm.
Specific Course: Computer Science BSc
Universities you're applying to: University of St Andrews, University of Bath, University of Bristol, Loughborough University, City University of London
A level / IB / Higher grades: A*AA
GCSE grades: 8888777776
Random question: I am wondering if anyone got offers from St Andrews yet? or from bath. bristol put me on hold. got a conditional offer from city uni of london.
Original post by shuuu123
Specific Course: Computer Science BSc
Universities you're applying to: University of St Andrews, University of Bath, University of Bristol, Loughborough University, City University of London
A level / IB / Higher grades: A*AA
GCSE grades: 8888777776
Random question: I am wondering if anyone got offers from St Andrews yet? or from bath. bristol put me on hold. got a conditional offer from city uni of london.

Still waiting to hear back from Bath for the MComp Comp Sci course (they do say it usually takes up to 6 weeks so don't worry too much)
Is anyone applying for/recieved offers from Kingston for computer science?
Original post by Jyots
I had applied and received offers for masters from below universities

1) University of Sussex
2) Northumbria University

Question: I am now confused which one to confirm.

If I'm honest, I know nothing about either universities but here's what I'd do:
1) University forum (if you can find a comp sci forum that should be useful)
2) Contact other students --> use Instagram/LinkedIn/Discord or someone you know who's already been there
3) Reconsider cost (main difference would be accomodation and travel), location, course structure (is there anything missing that you wanna study?), diversity (if you care about gender ratios or LGBT+ stuff) etc.
4) Visit the universities in person if you can
5) If you're still struggling it might be easier to compare stuff that's important to you via excel
Good luck and well done!!
Original post by gracee.05
Specific Course: Computer Science Bsc/MSci, Applied Maths + Computer Science
Universities you're applying to: Queen's University Belfast, University of Edinburgh, and University of Sussex
A level / IB / Higher grades: A*AAA (A Levels)
GCSE grades: A*A*A*AAAAAB
Random question: Is anyone hearing back from the University of Edinburgh??

I got an offer for Computer Science BEng on the 19th of December from Edinburgh!!
Original post by chloe.01
I got an offer for Computer Science BEng on the 19th of December from Edinburgh!!

Congrats!

What were your stats and what was the offer?
Original post by kelrasheed
Congrats!

What were your stats and what was the offer?

I had predicted A*A*A* - in Maths, Chem, and Physics. I also did Further Maths AS last year and got an A.
The offer was A*A*A*
Has anyone had an offer yet for Durham comp sci and your stats? I’m considering applying….
Original post by 04MR17

Specific Course:
GCSE grades:
Random question:

Specific Course:
Computer Science / Computer Systems Engineering
Warwick (CSE)
Cambridge, Bath, Southampton, UCL (CS)
Predicted 4A*s in Maths, CS, Bio, Chem
GCSE grades:
999999998 (English language :'/)
Random question:
Anyone got any offers from Bath or UCL yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending