The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

maxfire
:coma: I find German accents oddly attractive.

:mmm: :five:
There is no such thing as a British accent.
I can assure you my accent is far from attractive. :sigh:

Weirdly people always assume I'm a Geordie...or Welsh. Now I do not know where they get that from. :s-smilie:
SUCKMEOFF
What about potteries accent when ever I hear it I think its horrible :s-smilie:

:mad: It sometimes gets mistaken for Scouse and that can only be a good thing.
Us Brits can naturally distinguish various regional accents from one another, and deny that there is one over-riding "British accent". But I assume to foreigners, who have not lived here long enough to recognise the various subtleties, that most of our regional accents sound so similar that they can be classified as a "British accent".

Whilst I could tell if someone was an American, I couldn't tell which State they lived in or anything like that. I could make a vague guess of North or South but could not distinguish any further. So I guess our British accent is just like that to most foreigners. They probably don't get much further than distinguishing between 'British' (english) accents and Scottish accents.
Yorkshire accents. :coma:
Reply 106
Butterflyleg
:mmm: :five:

:sexface:
Reply 107
I think the OP has missed the point that there is no 'British' accent and that even within each country there are different accents as well as each region within each country.
Colour Me Pretty
You haven't visited Yorkshire,
we sound like inbred, retarded farmers :sexface:

Sorry, but that is sooo true haha :biggrin:
Anon Person
Are you talking the whole of the UK or just England?

Clearly all the girls he met were scottish :p: cos let's face it our accents are AWESOME!!!
maxfire
Southern England :coma:

I can't stand Northern accents tbh.

Really, I'm the exact opposite. I think it's coz I'm Australian! So to me, southern accents (esp. London) sounds a bit like ours. Whereas northern more exotic. :biggrin:
Reply 111
danni_bella
Really, I'm the exact opposite. I think it's coz I'm Australian! So to me, southern accents (esp. London) sounds a bit like ours. Whereas northern more exotic. :biggrin:

:rofl: Northern England exotic :wink:

Actually, my cousins live in Australia and they say exactly the same thing! Maybe it's just because they're used to London accents (they used to live here).
maxfire
:rofl: Northern England exotic :wink:

Actually, my cousins live in Australia and they say exactly the same thing! Maybe it's just because they're used to London accents (they used to live here).
Yeah there's too many backpackers from London in Adelaide, so boring. Needs to be more diversity.
What the hell is a British accent? I'm betting what you think it is doesn't sound anything like a Glaswegian, Welsh or Geordie accent.

*pet peeve*
ozzyoscy
What the hell is a British accent? I'm betting what you think it is doesn't sound anything like a Glaswegian, Welsh or Geordie accent.

*pet peeve*

OP, British accents.

And you're saying that Welsh accent sounds bad?
Oh, how dare you! It's one of my favourites :mmm:
Also, the UK is not the same as Britain. The UK is Northern Ireland as well as Britain (Egland, Scotland and Wales), so there's Irish accents to consider also.

I figured I may as well go all the way.
I want to join the German accent love, I'm making it my mission to get myself a German boyfriend.
Reply 117
maxfire
Southern England :coma:

I can't stand Northern accents tbh.

Tu Madre!

Welsh sounds like backwards English.
Scoucer accents makes me vomit.
Brummie accent...can't make a word of it sometimes.
Irish accent...kinda sounds like gibberish sometimes.
Reply 118
Mo-knee
Tu Madre!

Welsh sounds like backwards English.
Scoucer accents makes me vomit.
Brummie accent...can't make a word of it sometimes.
Irish accent...kinda sounds like gibberish sometimes.

:five:
Reply 119
Brummie accents are rammle!! Hate them, I'm from Nottingham and from a reasonably posh part of Notts..as posh as they come here anyway haha!

Latest