The Student Room Group

English language paper 2

My exam is Monday and I am currently overloaded with content for English. I have written four 30 marker essays for gender, language diversity (social class) accents and dialects and language change. However I don’t know what I’d most likely to come up. I know questions 3 and 4 link with the same topic of the question, but from looking at past AQA exam questions they vary. If anyone has any guidance to what I should do next please reply! Also do I need to write an essay on ethnicity and age and occupation as well as the social class one I have done which includes all 4 topics?
Original post by Gabriellabraver
My exam is Monday and I am currently overloaded with content for English. I have written four 30 marker essays for gender, language diversity (social class) accents and dialects and language change. However I don’t know what I’d most likely to come up. I know questions 3 and 4 link with the same topic of the question, but from looking at past AQA exam questions they vary. If anyone has any guidance to what I should do next please reply! Also do I need to write an essay on ethnicity and age and occupation as well as the social class one I have done which includes all 4 topics?

Make sure you know the theories for language diversity and language change this will help answer Q1/Q2 (choice) but will also help write the article for question 4 because the A02 (theories) have more marks. Q3 doesn't need any theories. So writing essays might be a good way to practise but make sure you can apply the theories to any question.

I also have the AQA english language exam on Monday and there are soo many theories, i also watched the Alice Preece girl on Youtube she has put up her essays and mindmaps in this google
doc https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19T5nzvfgB3zUEwsOpng8Quq_bXyVcvgJ
Original post by idkidkidkidk101
Make sure you know the theories for language diversity and language change this will help answer Q1/Q2 (choice) but will also help write the article for question 4 because the A02 (theories) have more marks. Q3 doesn't need any theories. So writing essays might be a good way to practise but make sure you can apply the theories to any question.

I also have the AQA english language exam on Monday and there are soo many theories, i also watched the Alice Preece girl on Youtube she has put up her essays and mindmaps in this google
doc https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19T5nzvfgB3zUEwsOpng8Quq_bXyVcvgJ

I’ve had a look at those and they are veryyy helpful thank you so much! For language change, I have written an essays that covers all basis. I’ve included Hocketts random fluctuations, David crystal, substratum theory, baileys wave model, saphir whorf hypothesis, political correctness, Steven pinker and Halliday functions. I am begging one of the 30 markers is on language change and the q3 and 4 are on gender or accents or something 😭
I’ve had a look at those and they are veryyy helpful thank you so much! For language change, I have written an essays that covers all basis. I’ve included Hocketts random fluctuations, David crystal, substratum theory, baileys wave model, saphir whorf hypothesis, political correctness, Steven pinker and Halliday functions. I am begging one of the 30 markers is on language change and the q3 and 4 are on gender or accents or something 😭

for question 1, one question will always be on language change - language change will always come up and the other one will always be diversity
for question 1, one question will always be on language change - language change will always come up and the other one will always be diversity

Okay perfect, and for questions 3 and 4, I don’t think it will be on world Englishes Because last year that’s is what aqa had then do. So I’m placing bets on gender, accents, occupation, ethnicity or social class
Okay perfect, and for questions 3 and 4, I don’t think it will be on world Englishes Because last year that’s is what aqa had then do. So I’m placing bets on gender, accents, occupation, ethnicity or social class

I hope it's gender or occupation that will be good.... How do you feel about the exam?
I hope it's gender or occupation that will be good.... How do you feel about the exam?

I’m so stressed.. many of my friends in my class are also so stressed and cannot deal with the content. I seriously cannot for the love of me remember half the theorists
I’m so stressed.. many of my friends in my class are also so stressed and cannot deal with the content. I seriously cannot for the love of me remember half the theorists

OMG same .. there is too much to remember and the Q4 is so stupid and i just realized that they haven't done a question on ethnicity for q3 and q4

Good luck with the exam :smile:
OMG same .. there is too much to remember and the Q4 is so stupid and i just realized that they haven't done a question on ethnicity for q3 and q4

Good luck with the exam :smile:

I don’t think they have done a q3 or 4 for occupation either. So my bets are on those two and gender… and I’m hoping for a nice change question for 1or2🤞

good luck with your exam too! I hope it’s in our favour :smile:
I don’t think they have done a q3 or 4 for occupation either. So my bets are on those two and gender… and I’m hoping for a nice change question for 1or2🤞

good luck with your exam too! I hope it’s in our favour :smile:

yup lets hope for the best :smile: oh and do you know what proxy means like proxy for change or proxy for social issues ?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 10
yes omg I neeedddd the language change question I prefer it way more
Original post by izzy4509x
yes omg I neeedddd the language change question I prefer it way more

sameee
yup lets hope for the best :smile: oh and do you know what proxy means like proxy for change or proxy for social issues ?

I don’t know what proxy means… isn’t it when someone does something on your behalf? I’m not sure
I don’t know what proxy means… isn’t it when someone does something on your behalf? I’m not sure

How was the exam?
I made a silly mistake so i wrote question 2 in the margin but answered question 1 because first i was gonna do question 2 but then changed my mind and then forgot to change the 2 to a 1 .. is that a big issue
How was the exam?
I made a silly mistake so i wrote question 2 in the margin but answered question 1 because first i was gonna do question 2 but then changed my mind and then forgot to change the 2 to a 1 .. is that a big issue

No it shouldn’t matter because they will be able to see that your essay was based of social groups. It will be fine I promise!
I didn’t understand what the first question was based off… not many people in my English did either and still don’t know… so I had to do the second question. But found it okay. I was hoping it would be on something different so kind of threw me off, but I remembered all the change theorists so applied them into q4
No it shouldn’t matter because they will be able to see that your essay was based of social groups. It will be fine I promise!
I didn’t understand what the first question was based off… not many people in my English did either and still don’t know… so I had to do the second question. But found it okay. I was hoping it would be on something different so kind of threw me off, but I remembered all the change theorists so applied them into q4

Thank you... i came out and realized and became very stressed and emailed AQA.
i did question 1 and talked about ives code switching, korean air traffic control study, doctors need to converge in workplaces so patients understand them and the Emma moore study
Q4 was pure waffle 😅
(edited 10 months ago)
Done with English now😊 what exams do you have left?
Thank you... i came out and realized and became very stressed and emailed AQA.
i did question 1 and talked about ives code switching, korean air traffic control study, doctors need to converge in workplaces so patients understand them and the Emma moore study
Q4 was pure waffle 😅

Hahah well it looks like everyone is on the same page! I have officially finished college so my summer starts today 😆 good luck for any exam you have to come up and have a great summer!!

Quick Reply

Latest