The Student Room Group

3rd Year Project

Hi folks!

I really didn't want to post about this. But right now, Im pulling my hair out.

I am a third year student and have past the 'half way point' in coming close to finishing. However, I am not happy with my final year project, and have made no progress at all :frown:.

Generally speaking, I am currently sitting on a very high 2:1 and perhaps even a first due to my outstanding work in my modules. But unfortunately, I don't believe I will suceed in my final year project.

I have spoken to my personal Tutor, and they WON'T allow me to defer my project to a 4th year, and obviously, being unhappy about my third year project. I don't have that motivation to continue it.....and I can only imagine that I have failed it.

So what I wanted to ask is. What happens when I fail it? Will I get the chance to retake it (with a fresh mind, with no other modules to worry about). Also, will I get capped to a certain grade, like they do with other modules?

Thanks.
Reply 1
jajabinx35
Hi folks!

I really didn't want to post about this. But right now, Im pulling my hair out.

I am a third year student and have past the 'half way point' in coming close to finishing. However, I am not happy with my final year project, and have made no progress at all :frown:.

Generally speaking, I am currently sitting on a very high 2:1 and perhaps even a first due to my outstanding work in my modules. But unfortunately, I don't believe I will suceed in my final year project.

I have spoken to my personal Tutor, and they WON'T allow me to defer my project to a 4th year, and obviously, being unhappy about my third year project. I don't have that motivation to continue it.....and I can only imagine that I have failed it.

So what I wanted to ask is. What happens when I fail it? Will I get the chance to retake it (with a fresh mind, with no other modules to worry about). Also, will I get capped to a certain grade, like they do with other modules?

Thanks.

Your university would have to answer those questions, there is not necessarily uniformity between institutions.

Do you not have a course handbook for this situation?
Reply 2
There aren't usually retakes in 3rd year courses - depends how much your project counts towards your 3rd year and whether there are any requirements on having to pass it in order to graduate.
Reply 3
Oh dear......Well, the third year project is a component in my third year, and I won't be able to graduate unless its completed.

I guess I'll have to book another meeting with my personal tutor and see what will happen.
jajabinx35
Oh dear......Well, the third year project is a component in my third year, and I won't be able to graduate unless its completed.

I guess I'll have to book another meeting with my personal tutor and see what will happen.

What uni and course is it? At most unis if you fail youre referred to a resit with a capped 40% and that doesnt mean you get a whole extra year to do it but usually a couple of months and like i said you can only get a pass. For retakes/part-time taking of modules again the following year you cant get it unless you have exceptional circumstances or at some unis you can get it like a resit with a capped mark. Give me more info and ill see if i can find for you what your regs are.
Reply 5
Jennie1987
What uni and course is it? At most unis if you fail youre referred to a resit with a capped 40% and that doesnt mean you get a whole extra year to do it but usually a couple of months and like i said you can only get a pass. For retakes/part-time taking of modules again the following year you cant get it unless you have exceptional circumstances or at some unis you can get it like a resit with a capped mark. Give me more info and ill see if i can find for you what your regs are.

Im studying BSC Multimedia Computing @ University Of Westminster. Unfortunately, the course handbook does not cover this scenario.
TBH, I am trying my best, but I wish I actually was enjoying my 3rd year project.....
jajabinx35
Im studying BSC Multimedia Computing @ University Of Westminster. Unfortunately, the course handbook does not cover this scenario.
TBH, I am trying my best, but I wish I actually was enjoying my 3rd year project.....

Yours is all login stuff so cant have a look, and it doesnt matter if its specifically 'i dont like it so am not doing well' your scenario is failing a coursework/module and thats what youre looking for and am sure they have info on resits in there.

Latest

Trending

Trending