The Student Room Group

PhD mitigating circumstances

Hi I'm a 4th year MSci student about to start applying for PhDs. At the beginning of 3rd year (c. Oct 2022), I was diagnosed with a learning disability which I believe severely affected my performance in previous years.
I spent a lot of 3rd year trying to find a learning/revision strategy that worked best for me and ended the year with a 2.1 (~67%) which is a lot better than I've done previously.

I think I could've done better but I also faced some family tragedies that year (severe/terminal illnesses) which left me devastated and unable to focus at times. I was feeling so low I didn't even bother to apply for any sort of special consideration.
Although I didn't do as well as I wanted to in some of my modules, I have consistently done well in research assignments - especially in 3rd year. The lowest grade I received in a research assignment was 77% so I know that I have the potential to do well in a PhD.

At this point, I've learned quite a lot about which revision strategies work best for me and I think I have the potential to do well this year. I believe that I can finish the year with a high 2.1.

Now my question is: do you guys think there's any point applying to places like Oxbridge for a PhD. I know that I have very strong research skills, I have good references willing to vouch for me and I've had some relevant experience. I think that I have what it takes to do a PhD but unfortunately I don't feel like my grades have been a true reflection of my capabilities.

Has anyone had experience with applying for a PhD with mitigating circumstances?

TLDR; I want to apply for a PhD in Physics at a top UK uni but have had mitigating circumstances that have affected my grades in the past. I think that I could still meet the entry requirements but am wondering if extenuating circumstances may increase my chance of being accepted. I have very strong researching skills, have some relevant experience and should be able to get good references.
Reply 1
I'm in a similar circumstance. Following!
Original post by mphyshelp
Hi I'm a 4th year MSci student about to start applying for PhDs. At the beginning of 3rd year (c. Oct 2022), I was diagnosed with a learning disability which I believe severely affected my performance in previous years.
I spent a lot of 3rd year trying to find a learning/revision strategy that worked best for me and ended the year with a 2.1 (~67%) which is a lot better than I've done previously.

I think I could've done better but I also faced some family tragedies that year (severe/terminal illnesses) which left me devastated and unable to focus at times. I was feeling so low I didn't even bother to apply for any sort of special consideration.
Although I didn't do as well as I wanted to in some of my modules, I have consistently done well in research assignments - especially in 3rd year. The lowest grade I received in a research assignment was 77% so I know that I have the potential to do well in a PhD.

At this point, I've learned quite a lot about which revision strategies work best for me and I think I have the potential to do well this year. I believe that I can finish the year with a high 2.1.

Now my question is: do you guys think there's any point applying to places like Oxbridge for a PhD. I know that I have very strong research skills, I have good references willing to vouch for me and I've had some relevant experience. I think that I have what it takes to do a PhD but unfortunately I don't feel like my grades have been a true reflection of my capabilities.

Has anyone had experience with applying for a PhD with mitigating circumstances?

TLDR; I want to apply for a PhD in Physics at a top UK uni but have had mitigating circumstances that have affected my grades in the past. I think that I could still meet the entry requirements but am wondering if extenuating circumstances may increase my chance of being accepted. I have very strong researching skills, have some relevant experience and should be able to get good references.

There is no simple answer to this one, but let me give a bit of background. When a student applies to an undergrad course with mitigating circumstances, there is clearly a risk involved. That student has not performed as well as they might have done so far, if you offer a place, it’s on the basis of a hope that their problems are behind them, and they will do better in the future. It’s a risk, but one that’s spread over a large cohort and lots of individual staff members. A few admission mistakes is balanced by helping other students with a worse start in life get a leg up.

For a PhD the entirety of the risk sits with a single supervisor or a small group of academics running a project or CDT. That makes people much more risk averse during recruitment. PhD funding is competitive and quite limited. If you as an academic “win” a £100k pot of money to fund a PhD, and you get to do that once every 3-5 years it really impacts your research productivity in a major way (good or bad). So in summary, yes, individuals may take mit circs into account, BUT, there will be much more attention on potential risk v reward from the supervisor. This is the place a strong reference from someone who actually knows you well and has seen your performance on an undergrad project can really matter.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr Wednesday
There is no simple answer to this one, but let me give a bit of background. When a student applies to an undergrad course with mitigating circumstances, there is clearly a risk involved. That student has not performed as well as they might have done so far, if you offer a place, it’s on the basis of a hope that their problems are behind them, and they will do better in the future. It’s a risk, but one that’s spread over a large cohort and lots of individual staff members. A few admission mistakes is balanced by helping other students with a worse start in life get a leg up.

For a PhD the entirety of the risk sits with a single supervisor or a small group of academics running a project or CDT. That makes people much more risk averse during recruitment. PhD funding is competitive and quite limited. If you as an academic “win” a £100k pot of money to fund a PhD, and you get to do that once every 3-5 years it really impacts your research productivity in a major way (good or bad). So in summary, yes, individuals may take mit circs into account, BUT, there will be much more attention on potential risk v reward from the supervisor. This is the place a strong reference from someone who actually knows you well and has seen your performance on an undergrad project can really matter.

Thanks so much for your reply! Hopefully my references will improve my chances

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending