The Student Room Group

Bocconi - Master in Finance

I have recently completed the MSc Finance at Bocconi, and since it's application time for many people, I'm going to share my experience in case it can help someone.

Just to get perspective, I’m a European student (non-Italian) who graduated with a 2:1 in Economics at UCL and spent one year working at Moody’s (a rating agency) before enrolling in this master.

I had a good time both at Milan and at Bocconi, but if I went back in time, I wouldn’t have chosen this programme. This is why:

-Ridiculous grading. You may sometimes get a top grade after not answering half of the questions in an exam, whereas other times you get a **** grade when you actually did quite well on the exam. Why so? The grading is adjusted to a particular distribution they look for. Sometimes you end up with a strange feeling of getting through without really knowing your stuff and others you are frustrated because you know you deserved better.

-Shadowed by SDA Bocconi. In contrast to "Università Bocconi" (which gives the Master in Finance), "SDA Bocconi" (which gives the MBA) has smaller classes, better teachers, better technology... and better rankings and reputation. It is also more expensive, of course.

Anyway, I can’t complain since I did get an IBD job in London.
Reply 1
I wrote a similar (less harsh) post a week ago

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1166923

However, a couple of things regarding your post:

Bocconi Finance
There are some quality teachers (Fulvio Ortu, Carlo Favero&#8230:wink:

Saita, Gatti, Corielli (as person, more than as professor)

Bocconi Finance
Moreover, how one of these people can become the programme director is way beyond my understanding

I know.....

Can i ask your opinion on the MPhil Finance @ Cambridge Judge?
Pitoburo
I wrote a similar (less harsh) post a week ago

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1166923

From a different point of view, I mostly agree with your post as well. In fact they are kind of similar.

However, I am not sure about the big discrepancy between IBD and S&T that you mention. In fact, I would argue that if you choose the quantitative finance track, the programme is one of the most "trading focused" MSc Finance in Europe.

I also don't agree that much with the level of difficulty. First semester of the first year is hard, especially since you have to work your ass off to get that vital internship. But the second semester is a bit easier, and the whole second year is a joke. Some people in my class left after the 1st year and completed the master away from Milan.
Reply 4
Bocconi Finance

However, I am not sure about the big discrepancy between IBD and S&T that you mention. In fact, I would argue that if you choose the quantitative finance track, the programme is one of the most "trading focused" MSc Finance in Europe.

But you do the qf track in second year, not very useful when applying for a summer internship. Obviously if you apply for FT or Summer Internship the 2nd year (as some friends did), it will be useful.

I also don't agree that much with the level of difficulty. First semester of the first year is hard, especially since you have to work your ass off to get that vital internship. But the second semester is a bit easier

I was speaking about the first year. I know that the 2nd year is simple (maybe the qf track not so simple...).
Reply 5
Dear Bocconi Finance and Pitoburo,
I would like to ask you what you think about exchange programs at Bocconi during the MSc. Do you think going abroad for a semester would be a plus when applying for IBD jobs? Which destinations would you suggest especially if interested in banks live GS, ML, MS or JPM?
cruel3a
I would like to ask you what you think about exchange programs at Bocconi during the MSc. Do you think going abroad for a semester would be a plus when applying for IBD jobs? Which destinations would you suggest especially if interested in banks live GS, ML, MS or JPM?

Getting into a good exchange programmes is quite hard, since you will be competing with the other masters, which truth to be told, aren't nearly as hard as the MSc Finance (so you will be playing with disadvantage).

There is 1 slot for Warwick for which you only compete with the other 2 finance classes. In my opinion that one would be the best in Europe. Otherwise, try for the Canadian unis or Vanderbilt and Brandeis in the US.

Even if you can't get into any of these (I stress that it is very hard), I would still recommend you to do an exchange. Anywhere. There are many European schools without a "wow factor" but good teaching standards, and many "exotic" destinations all around the world. These probably won't be a plus when applying, but they are great experiences and definitely useful talking points for interviews.
Reply 7
cruel3a

As Bocconi Finance said there are some interesting places (Warwick, HSG, SSE, Michigan, North Carolina and Virginia). However some of them are difficult to get in (you are enrolled in AFC, so maybe you have a GPA higher than the average MSc Finance student) and lectures could start in August (while you're doing the internship).
You're Italian and I think that an internship (probably you know that many banks offer Fall internships in Milan) is better than the exchange. The exchange is usefeul at undergrad level (when internship opportunities for Italians are very small), not at MSc level IMHO
Reply 8
Well Pitoburo I perfectly understand your point and this is why I'm not sure if the exchange program would be the best choice for me. Because of the fact that I will be in London till 28/8 I just can apply for the second semester exchange and, as you said, probably trying to find another internship in Milan would be a better choice (would my internship in finance office at BarCap London give me any chance to get a IBD internship in Milan?!?).
I think I will try to get in in universities like Vanderbilt, Brandeis, McGill or Carlson (if my GPA would allow me :-)) and then decide because I really would like to try an exchange in the USA/Canada.
Anyway thanks to you and to Bocconi Finance for the advices.

PS:
@ Bocconi Finance
I'm not a Finance student but I'm attending the AFC course so I could not try to go to Warwick... and honestly, even if I know that WBS is one of the best BS for Finance, one semester in Coventry really does not appeal to me :-D.
Talking about exotic destinations do you know anything about NUS (singapore) or KAIST (Korea)?
Reply 9
cruel3a
(would my internship in finance office at BarCap London give me any chance to get a IBD internship in Milan?!?)

The difficult thing is that there are very few places, so it heavily depends on luck.
However, I'm pretty sure you'll be interviewed since the competition is definitely not the top.

cruel3a
Talking about exotic destinations do you know anything about NUS (singapore) or KAIST (Korea)?

NUS is quite good
Reply 10
@ PITOBURO

Hi!

I have been admitted to the MSc in finance at Bocconi this fall and was wondering if you could give me a few advices.
According to your posts, Bocconi is not ideal if one wants to persuade a career in trading. Obviously this is the field I'm interested in:-) Do you have any tips or advices on which courses I should choose and the best ways to get in touch with the prop. divisions among the mayor banks.

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.
Reply 11
peder86a
@ PITOBURO

Hi!

I have been admitted to the MSc in finance at Bocconi this fall and was wondering if you could give me a few advices.
According to your posts, Bocconi is not ideal if one wants to persuade a career in trading. Obviously this is the field I'm interested in:-) Do you have any tips or advices on which courses I should choose and the best ways to get in touch with the prop. divisions among the mayor banks.

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.

Do the major in Quantitative Finance (during the 2nd year), this is one of the few instruments that you can use to break intro trading. I met
some people who managed to secure a 2nd year summer internship in a BB or a FT offer at a smaller bank....

PS: IMHO prop divisions are a bit too high target
some people
Reply 12
Ali M
Can i ask your opinion on the MPhil Finance @ Cambridge Judge?

Nice thread hijack :p:

It's hellah competitive

Need a 1st class honours just to apply

Latest

Trending

Trending