The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Aeolus
:facepalm2:

I guess that was aimed at me? :cool:
Send in Her Majesty's Armed Services of course, what else? I wouldn't let any British citizens be annexed by a foreign power.

In fact I'd find the Belgrano, refloat it, then sink it again just to prove a point.
thunder_chunky
Interesting, do you know who he served with?

The Islanders were very grateful, however the cost was dear.

He was a Royal Marine - 40 Commando.

More men died than they expected, that's true. There was also a ridiculously high suicide rate post-war from both sides, but my dad himself has no regrets and would do it all over again.
Reply 103
Rucklo
I guess that was aimed at me? :cool:

It's just that you vastly underestimate the logistical scale of sending a single destroyer to the South Atlantic, let alone a carrier, two attack submarines and tens of thousands of men and women. (Not that that would be anywhere near a large or powerfull enough force to capture an island over 8000 miles away)

Not to mention the fact that our carriers are old as ****, regularly break down. I am assuming you are reffering to the Type 45 destroyers, and not the 42's, because i can assure you that the 42's would not last a minute in modern combat, their missile system was designed in the 60's and is all but useless against modern weaponry and countermeasures, they would be nothing but a shield to take what was fired at the carrier. Infact that is now their sole purpose when sailing as part of a taskforce and they carry a piece of equipment which enlarges their radar signiture to that of a capital ship.

It's just nowhere near as black and white as command and conquer. :redface:

(However i think the possibility of Argentina trying to retake the Falklands is remote, they seem quite dedicated to peacekeeping and the UN now. Apart from the odd reference by some populist nobody, which is quickly forgotten)
The Argentine public feel strongly about the Falklands - they want them back. Thankfully they're distracted by other issues at the moment, however reclaiming the islands would be a show of strength and unite the people of Argentina.

The threat is very real, that's why we still have a permanent military presence on the island. The UK Govt. would have to protect them, the public would be behind sending in the troops.
dzeh
What a nonsense comment

At the moment we got one of the most advanced tanks (challenger 2) in the world (joint with the abrams)

The most advanced nuclear submarine in the world (astute class/ trident)

One of the most advanced fighter jets (euro typhoon jet)

And two massive new aircraft carriers on the way..

So apparently we are a shadow of what we were 30 years ago?

1) Leopard 2(German), Leclerc(France), T-90(Russia), Merkava(Israel) are all as good if not better than the Challenger 2.

2) The Russian Borei class will be better than the Astute class by a country mile.

3) Russia and the US both have 5th generation fighters.

4) China, Russia and the US will all have aircraft carriers better than the two Queen Elizabeth class carriers.

As for Howard's comment, it wasn't nonsense. The fact of the matter is that the UK has been punching above its weight for too long now and is finally coming to grips with itself. The UK has been in decline since the end of WWII and has yet to stop. With the bulk of the military in Afghanistan, every sector receiving cuts, I doubt the UK would be able to wage another war.
Democracy
Except that it was outside our ZOE.

Exclusion zones have bugger all relevance to belligerent naval vessels. They apply to neutral ships and shipping craft, and only neutral ships and shipping craft.

Even the Argentine government have themselves declared the attack legitimate.
Reply 107
Stalin
1) Leopard 2(German), Leclerc(France), T-90(Russia), Merkava(Israel) are all as good if not better than the Challenger 2.

2) The Russian Borei class will be better than the Astute class by a country mile.

4) China, Russia and the US will all have aircraft carriers better than the two Queen Elizabeth class carriers.

As for Howard's comment, it wasn't nonsense. The fact of the matter is that the UK has been punching above its weight for too long now and is finally coming to grips with itself. The UK has been in decline since the end of WWII and has yet to stop. With the bulk of the military in Afghanistan, every sector receiving cuts, I doubt the UK would be able to wage another war.

Pointless list, do you have any proof to support your outlandish claims?
Reply 108
Aeolus
It's just that you vastly underestimate the logistical scale of sending a single destroyer to the South Atlantic, let alone a carrier, two attack submarines and tens of thousands of men and women. (Not that that would be anywhere near a large or powerfull enough force to capture an island over 8000 miles away)

Not to mention the fact that our carriers are old as ****, regularly break down. I am assuming you are reffering to the Type 45 destroyers, and not the 42's, because i can assure you that the 42's would not last a minute in modern combat, their missile system was designed in the 60's and is all but useless against modern weaponry and countermeasures, they would be nothing but a shield to take what was fired at the carrier. Infact that is now their sole purpose when sailing as part of a taskforce and they carry a piece of equipment which enlarges their radar signiture to that of a capital ship.

It's just nowhere near as black and white as command and conquer. :redface:

(However i think the possibility of Argentina trying to retake the Falklands is remote, they seem quite dedicated to peacekeeping and the UN now. Apart from the odd reference by some populist nobody, which is quickly forgotten)

It would not take an island 8,000 miles away?

2 destroyers
2 frigates
1 LSL landing ship
1 LCU amphibious craft
1 container ship

Managed last time and IMO, sending a carrier and sub's would make it a more powerful force than that. Plus the destroyers already stationed there wouldn't go down without a fight.

Ofcourse I mean 45's, many of the 42's are/have been scrapped.

I know it is not as simple as that and would take weeks/months to prepare however 60,000 logistical and admin staff are paid for just that reason.
Reply 109
Stalin

Ah yes we have equipment equal to that of the three current superpowers and occasionally slightly below.

Russia is still developing its fighters.

How shocking for an island.
dzeh
Pointless list, do you have any proof to support your claims?

Submarines: Russian Borei Class Astute Class

5th Generation Fighters: Russian PAK FA US F22 Raptor
Reply 111
Rucklo
It would not take an island 8,000 miles away?

2 destroyers
2 frigates
1 LSL landing ship
1 LCU amphibious craft
1 container ship

Next time you quote Wikipedia you should check the list. That is a list of the ships we lost.

This is a list of what the Royal Navy alone sent to the SA:

Active Type 21 Frigate
Alacrity Type 21 Frigate
Ambuscade Type 21 Frigate
Andromeda Leander Class Frigate
Antelope Type 21 Frigate Lost
Antrim County Class Destroyer
Ardent Type 21 Frigate Lost
Argonaut Leander Class Frigate
Arrow Type 21 Frigate
Avenger Type 21 Frigate
Brilliant Type 22 Frigate
Bristol Type 82 Destroyer
Broadsword Type 22 Frigate
Cardiff Type 42 Destroyer
Conqueror Nuclear Submarine
Courageous Nuclear Submarine
Coventry Type 42 Destroyer Lost
Dumbarton Castle Offshore Patrol Vessel
Endurance Antarctic Patrol Vessel
Exeter Type 42 Destroyer
Fearless Assault Ship
Glamorgan County Class Destroyer
Glasgow Type 42 Destroyer
Hecla Survey Ship Used As Ambulance Vessel
Herald Survey Ship Used As Ambulance Vessel
Hermes Aircraft Carrier
Hydra Survey Ship Used As Ambulance Vessel
Intrepid Assault Ship
Invincible Aircraft Carrier
Leeds Castle Offshore Patrol Vessel
Minerva Leander Class Frigate
Onyx Diesel-Electric Submarine
Penelope Leander Class Frigate
Plymouth Type 12 Frigate
Sheffield Type 42 Destroyer Lost
Spartan Nuclear Submarine
Splendid Nuclear Submarine
Valiant Nuclear Submarine
Yarmouth Type 12 Frigate

Minesweeping Trawlers Farnella
Cordella
Junella
Northella
Pict

Royal Fleet Auxiliaries Appleleaf Tanker
Bayleaf Tanker
Blue Rover Tanker
Brambleleaf Tanker
Engadine Helicopter Support Ship
Fort Austin Stores Replenishment Ship
Fort Grange Stores Replenishment Ship
Olmeda Tanker
Olna Tanker
Regent Stores Replenishment Ship
Resource Stores Replenishment Ship
Sir Bedivere Landing Ship
Sir Galahad Landing Ship Lost
Sir Geraint Landing Ship
Sir Lancelot Landing Ship
Sir Percivale Landing Ship
Sir Tristram Landing Ship
Stromness Stores Replenishment Ship
Tidepool Tanker
Tidespring Tanker

Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service Goosander Mooring Vessel
Typhoon Tug

Ships Taken Up From Trade (STUFT) Alvega Tanker
Anco Charger Tanker
Astronomer Aircraft Transport
Atlantic Causeway Aircraft Transport
Atlantic Conveyor Aircraft Transport Lost
Avelona Star Stores Ship
Balder London Tanker
Baltic Ferry Troop And Vehicle Transport
British Avon Tanker
British Dart Tanker
British Enterprise III Despatch Vessel
British Esk Tanker
British Tamar Tanker
British Tay Tanker
British Test Tanker
British Trent Tanker
British Wye Tanker
Canberra Troop And Vehicle Transport
Contender Bezant Aircraft Transport
Eburna Tanker
Elk Personnel And Vehicle Transport
Europic Ferry Personnel And Vehicle Transport
Fort Toronto Tanker
Ga Walker Tanker
Geestport Stores Ship
Iris Cable Ship
Irishman Tug
Laertes Stores Ship
Lycaon Stores Ship
Nordic Ferry Troop And Vehicle Transport
Norland Troop And Vehicle Transport
Queen Elizabeth II Troop And Vehicle Transport
St Edmund Troop And Vehicle Transport
St Helena Minesweeper Support Ship
Salvageman Tug
Saxonia Stores Ship
Scottish Eagle Tanker
Stena Inspector Repair Ship
Stena Seaspread Repair Ship
Tor Caledonia Troop And Vehicle Transport
Uganda Hospital Ship
Wimpey Seahorse Mooring Vessel
Yorkshireman Tug

Naval Air Squadrons 737 Wessex helicopters
800 Sea Harriers
801 Sea Harriers
809 Sea Harriers
815 Lynx helicopters
820 Sea King helicopters
824 Sea King helicopters
825 Sea King helicopters
826 Sea King helicopters
829 Wasp helicopters
845 Wessex helicopters
846 Sea King helicopters
847 Wessex helicopters
848 Wessex helicopters
899 Sea Harriers

Main Royal Marine Units HQ 3 Commando Brigade
40 Commando
42 Commando
45 Commando
dzeh
What a nonsense comment

At the moment we got one of the most advanced tanks (challenger 2) in the world (joint with the abrams)

The most advanced nuclear submarine in the world (astute class/ trident)

One of the most advanced fighter jets (euro typhoon jet)

And two massive new aircraft carriers on the way..

So apparently we are a shadow of what we were 30 years ago?
30 years ago, Britain had one of the most advanced tanks in the world... (Chieftain) except we had more of them.

Some of the most advanced submarines in the world except we had more of them.

In 1979 Britain had four aircraft carriers, two of which could launch strike aircraft, tankers and proper fighter aircraft.

We had almost twice as many ships
1980: 4 SSBNs, 11 SSNs, 17 SS/K, 3 CVLs, 2 LHD, 1 CG, 13 DDG, 54 FF/G, 36 mine warfare vessels and 22 patrol ships: 162 overall
2009: 4 SSBNs, 8 SSNs, 3 CVL, 3 LHD, 7 DDG, 17 FFG, 16 mine vessels, 23 patrol ships: 88 overall

Britain is, on paper, set to have a powerful navy when we get CVF, all the Type 45s, and the Astute Class. We do not have them yet and as everyone who is interested in Arms Procurement knows, the guarantee of something coming into service is nonexistent until it actually does.
Giggsy's Girl
He was a Royal Marine - 40 Commando.

More men died than they expected, that's true. There was also a ridiculously high suicide rate post-war from both sides, but my dad himself has no regrets and would do it all over again.

So he was at the sharp end then. Yes it's sad and true that more Falklands vets have taken their own life.

The father of a mate from college was in the Para's during the Falklands, he had some harrowing tales too.

Some very tragic tales too.

There are so many good books by vets.

One is called "A Soldiers Song" by a guy called Ken Lukowiak, who served with 2 Para during the Falklands. If there is a book on the Falklands to get, it's this one.

Another is called "Sod this for a game of soldiers." The Author served with 3 para.
Rucklo
Ah yes we have equipment equal to that of the three current superpowers and occasionally slightly below.

Russia is still developing its fighters.

How shocking for an island.

I'll admit for a tiny island the UK is doing well, however to call it virtually invincible is preposterous.

It's meeting its demise.
Reply 115
Aeolus
Next time you quote Wikipedia you should check the list. That is a list of the ships we lost.

This is a list of what the Royal Navy alone sent to the SA:

Ok I got that wrong, I would research what ships the UK currently has available not in an operation but honestly it's not something I'm too fussed about.

So I will accept our difference in opinion.
thunder_chunky
So he was at the sharp end then. Yes it's sad and true that more Falklands vets have taken their own life.

The father of a mate from college was in the Para's during the Falklands, he had some harrowing tales too.

Some very tragic tales too.

There are so many good books by vets.

One is called "A Soldiers Song" by a guy called Ken Lukowiak, who served with 2 Para during the Falklands. If there is a book on the Falklands to get, it's this one.

Another is called "Sod this for a game of soldiers." The Author served with 3 para.

Yeah that's right, he was one of the first on the island. There was a reunion for those who served and got the South Atlantic medal (with the rosette) a couple of years ago which my dad went to. The reuinion was at the Falklands and he got to see all his buddies he fought alongside. Maybe your mates dad was there! I'll check those books out, thanks. :smile:
Reply 117
Stalin
I'll admit for a tiny island the UK is doing well, however to call it virtually invincible is preposterous.

It's meeting its demise.

Who said it was invincible?

Even so.. only US, Russia (Which Britain would give a good fight)and you could try argue 1 or 2 others, would defeat Britain.
Bagration
30 years ago, Britain had one of the most advanced tanks in the world... (Chieftain) except we had more of them.

Some of the most advanced submarines in the world except we had more of them.

In 1979 Britain had four aircraft carriers, two of which could launch strike aircraft, tankers and proper fighter aircraft.

We had almost twice as many ships
1980: 4 SSBNs, 11 SSNs, 17 SS/K, 3 CVLs, 2 LHD, 1 CG, 13 DDG, 54 FF/G, 36 mine warfare vessels and 22 patrol ships: 162 overall
2009: 4 SSBNs, 8 SSNs, 3 CVL, 3 LHD, 7 DDG, 17 FFG, 16 mine vessels, 23 patrol ships: 88 overall

Britain is, on paper, set to have a powerful navy when we get CVF, all the Type 45s, and the Astute Class. We do not have them yet and as everyone who is interested in Arms Procurement knows, the guarantee of something coming into service is nonexistent until it actually does.

With all these cuts, will we even see 2 of the Queen Elizabeth carriers?
Stalin
With all these cuts, will we even see 2 of the Queen Elizabeth carriers?

GB wants them...

Latest

Trending

Trending