The Student Room Group

Analyst Wardrobe

Scroll to see replies

Drogue
I haven't tried either, but having talked to one of the guys running C&tD, I'm very impressed with their emphasis on quality - matching stripes, unique pattern, semi-floating canvas, working cuffs, hand top stitching, etc. I doubt either would do a bad suit and Apagg seems to be happy with ASTF, but I've always been more tempted by C&tD. Perhaps just for the name though.

Having said that, I'd rather spend £200 more and get a bespoke suit that's fully canvassed and entirely handmade. Though I'm tempted to try C&tD to compare.

Try SuitSupply's MTM...please correct me if I am wrong on this, I think their MTMs are fully canvassed and the price starts at around 400 pounds (though I heard it takes roughly 10 weeks to get your suit delivered to you! that's a long wait). Fully canvassed MTM for roughly 400? that's a good deal.

If you are looking for slim fitting suits for less than 250 pounds per suit, try Ben Sherman...their "skinny fit" may be too slim for work, but their Kings line is quite good.
Breadster&#8482
What's the deal with shirts for an internship? Interning in capital markets should I just stick with simple blue/white? What about stripes? Why does everyone hate pink?
P.S. I find just blue and white boring and dull
P.P.S. I'm no mug at matching ties with shirts

If I were you (as an entry-level analyst in the City), I would start with about 5 pale blues, 5 whites and 2 pink - all solid. Once you develop a good eye for professional fashion, add patterns and colors to your shirt collection.
Drogue
As I say to everyone, if you're looking at spending less than £500, have a look in M&S. Their decent quality ones are the best you'll get at the price, and pretty much as good as anything you'll get at under £500. If you want better, look at going to a tailor, either for the off the peg suits or getting MTM or bespoke.

I agree 100%. M&S suits are decent and their prices are more than reasonable. Also try H&M and Zara...though they tend to be very trendy (trendy, meaning your newly bought Zara suit may look odd 2 years down the road) and maybe even risky for your job in the City, they are decent for how much you pay for 'em.
Drogue
I haven't tried either, but having talked to one of the guys running C&tD, I'm very impressed with their emphasis on quality - matching stripes, unique pattern, semi-floating canvas, working cuffs, hand top stitching, etc. I doubt either would do a bad suit and Apagg seems to be happy with ASTF, but I've always been more tempted by C&tD. Perhaps just for the name though.

Having said that, I'd rather spend £200 more and get a bespoke suit that's fully canvassed and entirely handmade. Though I'm tempted to try C&tD to compare.

Yeah C&D seem quite good despite being new to the game. They also offer tailored overcoats, reckon it's worth it to get a tailored overcoat?

Hmm, Cad & Dandy, Suitsupply or A Suit That Fits, I feel another poll coming on...
Reply 724
MaxMaxMax
Yeah C&D seem quite good despite being new to the game. They also offer tailored overcoats, reckon it's worth it to get a tailored overcoat?

Depends whether OTR overcoats fit you.

MaxMaxMax
Hmm, Cad & Dandy, Suitsupply or A Suit That Fits, I feel another poll coming on...

I bet if you did, you'd have a hundred uninformed opinions.
Drogue
Depends whether OTR overcoats fit you.

I bet if you did, you'd have a hundred uninformed opinions.

Try these forums:

www.askandyaboutclothes.com

www.styleforum.net
Reply 726

I don't think anyone on those has used them either, though one of the founders of C&tD posts on Style Forum.
Drogue
I don't think anyone on those has used them either, though one of the founders of C&tD posts on Style Forum.

There are. There is a thread with photos uploaded by a guy who got his suit MTMed at C&D.
Reply 728
Getting the deal at Sartoriani - 2 suits, 2 shirts and 2 ties (suits and shirts MTM) for £995.

Been in for measuring etc.

Will keep you guys informed on how they turn out.
Nimiza
Getting the deal at Sartoriani - 2 suits, 2 shirts and 2 ties (suits and shirts MTM) for £995.

sounds like a decent deal. definitely, please post photos if possible
Nimiza

Seems similar pricing to Cad & Dandy, Suit Supply and A Suit That Fits for MTM, would be interested to see how they compare
Breadster™
Is this dark charcoal too dark? It's edging on black.

Where is this from?
Breadster™
Is this dark charcoal too dark? It's edging on black.

The colour is fine but the glove pocket is really not great. Only very nice bespoke suits can pull off a glove pocket. Never seen it done well otherwise.
Reply 733
I'm not sure if this is just for suits or what but i have some work this summer working for the natural history museum, would you recommend casual smart or smart?
the work im doing is research in the archives, and in the field (obviously not asking about this), Im not sure what people where to do this kinda work. sorry
Koenig
I'm not sure if this is just for suits or what but i have some work this summer working for the natural history museum, would you recommend casual smart or smart?
the work im doing is research in the archives, and in the field (obviously not asking about this), Im not sure what people where to do this kinda work. sorry

This is DEFINITELY the wrong place to ask. Anyway, I'd go with smart cas regardless, but just give them a ring a check..
Reply 735
crafty bison
Er. Have you never been to a supermarket? It's the same story everywhere mate... do you think ANYONE ever buys cherries or blueberries at "full price"? :p:

Repeating my earlier unanswered question:

Any downsides to wide-collar shirts?

Yes but any price change in cherries would be small enough to be negligible. The way TM Lewin presents itself, and how professional the stores look really does make some people feel like they're getting a bargain.
Breadster&#8482
thanks, I just realised I put the wrong one up though, I meant this one which is a little bit darker. What is up with the lapels on this?

I would personally avoid wearing peak lapels as they are usually for dinner jackets/blazers. Also go for a two-button jacket...unless you are looking for a night-out blazer.

Otherwise, a great looking suit.
Reply 737
FifthQuarter
I would personally avoid wearing peak lapels as they are usually for dinner jackets/blazers.

Or double-breasted suits. I'm actually quite a fan of a peak lapel on a single-breasted suit, however not ones that high.
Drogue
Or double-breasted suits. I'm actually quite a fan of a peak lapel on a single-breasted suit, however not ones that high.

:smile: right. you would want to avoid it in any case if it's intended for your work attire.
CT sale now has plenty of shirts from £19.95 at www.ctshirts.co.uk if anyone's interested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending