The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
letsdothetimewarpagain
Yes they are, hence why they are sold in several chip shops in poole

I meant eh.. socially unnaceptable? :frown:

Hmm.. I might be thinking of a drunken conversation that somehow covered the battered mars bar topic, my bad.
Reply 81
I went to an Indian restaurant in London... food was like rubber... hence that is why people down south are skinnier (i.e. they cannot eat food because people in the south don't know how to make proper food) :biggrin:

Expensive crap it was lol.
Reply 82
Fried Sock
Did it ever occur to you that everything is generally cheaper up north, so your argument about lower wages falls down there. Id also like to know why you think poverty is greater in the north, the south is full of illegal immigrants sleeping in parks and phone boxes.

God, why is everyone being so defensive?! I'm not trying to say everyone in the north is poor or fat or anything. I'm just saying statistically people are generally more overweight and have lower wages and lower socioeconomic status. It is well known generally the north has people who are in the lower socioeconomic groups. It doesn't mean everyone is, it doesn't mean the south is better. Jeez.
Reply 83
AgentSushi
I can't even do my own acent lol, Im from manchester.

haha i'll forgive you if you're actually northern then!:cool:
Reply 84
mamooshka
This. Darn you and your delicious pasties Greggs! :huff:

nahhhh... Hampson's all the way man!:woo:
Moonkin
Just wanted your opinions on why obesity figures tend to be higher in the North of England than in the south?

Could it be down to cheap access to unhealthy food?

One word: PASTIES.
You guys have obviously never been to Somerset!
Reply 87
This thread is making me hungry...
Reply 88
Moonkin
Just wanted your opinions on why obesity figures tend to be higher in the North of England than in the south?

Could it be down to cheap access to unhealthy food?

Because its colder so people eat more. The energy from the food is used to keep the body warm, but some people may not know how much more food should be consumed, hence OBESITY :woo: .
I have family from 'up north', whitley bay in fact so I can just say what I have seen. They are heavier drinkers, there is some truth in the southern shandy drinking poof label for down south. They drink mainly beer, lager ,even the girls do and they seem to love hot fat ladeled battered takeaway food. Fish sausages etc. That is what I noticed when I went out with my cousins.

I noticed something similar in Aberdeen, where my mates in halls called the place 'vomit city' because even during the day you would find pools of vomit just randomly in the streets especially around the harbour. There was a lot more drunks ,staggering around than down here. Although I have to say Dundee is like the scottish version of Basildon. It's like a ******* jungle.Surprised I left there with my car still on it's wheels.
Reply 90
Deep fried battered crap.
Kaykiie
The people of the North are not snobs. We accept people as they come so the obese Southerners who are alienated by the 'perfect skinny' people move up here to have a nicer way of life.

....you're not actually being serious are you? :lolwut:
Eveiebaby
I think it's a mixture of a trend of higher poverty and a more traditional English cuisine up North. Lots of stodgy foods, butties, yorkshire puddings, pies etc. Easier to put on weight eating that.
Down south = Greater variety and popularity of international foods. Japanese food is quite popular in my circle and that's really light and low fat.

What a gently subtle way to tell people how awesome you are lol :rolleyes:
Reply 93
Maybe its because the fish and chips taste better up North. I've tried some down South, and they were rubbish.
jumpingjesusholycow
What a gently subtle way to tell people how awesome you are lol :rolleyes:

It's only awesome if you like japanese food. Many people hate raw fish or miso or anything like that.
Reply 95
Kaykiie
The people of the North are not snobs. We accept people as they come so the obese Southerners who are alienated by the 'perfect skinny' people move up here to have a nicer way of life.

:smile: :ninja: :awesome: :yep:

So you just leave them to be fat and don't give them any incentive to loose the weight. Nice. :rolleyes:

People are bigger in the North because there are poorer people in the north and poor people are more likely to lead unhealthy lifestyles, lack self discipline and be generally lazy.
Deep fat fry fat stuff.
It is definetly a lot colder in northern towns such as York, so perhaps this means that more layers are required to survive?
Reply 98
jumpingjesusholycow
....you're not actually being serious are you? :lolwut:

Look at the smilies and read the thread :p: I'm joking
Reply 99
Antzlck
So you just leave them to be fat and don't give them any incentive to loose the weight. Nice. :rolleyes:

People are bigger in the North because there are poorer people in the north and poor people are more likely to lead unhealthy lifestyles, lack self discipline and be generally lazy.

How about you sense the tone. Other people clearly noticed i'm joking from the smilies, its pretty obvious.

Go and rant elsewhere. Being poor does not make you lazy so grow up.

Latest

Trending

Trending