The Student Room Group

Muscle or weight ??

Hi I am 14 years old and I am 84kg which is obese but I am quite tall for my age and if I say I feel I have a decent amount of muscle underneath of me . Should I focus on losing the weight( cardio, a little deficit) or should I focus on normal eating but muscle/weight training + protein for gaining muscle. Like every other teen in the future I want a nice body and currently I am just fat ( needless to say I have lost 15 kg previously but I am still obese)I lost the 15 kg by cardio and cutting calories-no weights and not much tracking of protein etc. Ik I shouldn’t really worry abt these things rn it’s just I’m in a bad spot my body fat % is at like 27% so I need to make a change. So should I lose weight or maintain weight and gain muscle . Or can I do both if that is a better option.
Original post by js234
Hi I am 14 years old and I am 84kg which is obese but I am quite tall for my age and if I say I feel I have a decent amount of muscle underneath of me . Should I focus on losing the weight( cardio, a little deficit) or should I focus on normal eating but muscle/weight training + protein for gaining muscle. Like every other teen in the future I want a nice body and currently I am just fat ( needless to say I have lost 15 kg previously but I am still obese)I lost the 15 kg by cardio and cutting calories-no weights and not much tracking of protein etc. Ik I shouldn’t really worry abt these things rn it’s just I’m in a bad spot my body fat % is at like 27% so I need to make a change. So should I lose weight or maintain weight and gain muscle . Or can I do both if that is a better option.

Firstly, you've done fab for losing 15kg well done! You are a healthy body fat percentage but if you want to lose more body fat, I would eat in a calorie deficit, do a mixture of cardio and weight training. You're better off losing the fat you want to lose first and then building from there. Also, because (I am assuming) you are new to weight training, you will benefit from the 'Newbie Gains' phase which lasts from 6 months to a year. In this period your body will put on a lot of muscle from weight training even in a calorie deficit as your body adapts to the new stimuli. However you have to remain consistent!
Reply 2
Original post by super_hannah
Firstly, you've done fab for losing 15kg well done! You are a healthy body fat percentage but if you want to lose more body fat, I would eat in a calorie deficit, do a mixture of cardio and weight training. You're better off losing the fat you want to lose first and then building from there. Also, because (I am assuming) you are new to weight training, you will benefit from the 'Newbie Gains' phase which lasts from 6 months to a year. In this period your body will put on a lot of muscle from weight training even in a calorie deficit as your body adapts to the new stimuli. However you have to remain consistent!

Hi, Thanks so much for this, this is what I needed. One last question, are all of these things like muscle training and deficits be good for a growing young body since I am only 14
Original post by js234
Hi, Thanks so much for this, this is what I needed. One last question, are all of these things like muscle training and deficits be good for a growing young body since I am only 14

No problem :smile:
A deficit is fine at your age no problem. Weight training at 14 has very mixed views and is controversial among those working in the fitness industry. My professional opinion, I have no problem with it as the science backs it up. I've even read studies which state that weight training even younger than yourself is completely safe and has no influence on your growth and maturation. All I would say is avoid overtraining and lifting crazy amounts to start off with. I would say that to anyone adult or child but especially to a child as your tendons, ligaments, connective tissues and joints etc are still maturing and you don't want to increase risk of injury. You could even start off doing bodyweight resistance exercises.
Reply 4
I think it's sound very good just keep of it ...
You can have weight loss and then build a muscle. The only thing you do is Discipline and being consistent with your exercise.
Reply 6
There is nothing to choose... Why not combine weight loss with muscle strengthening?
I'll advice you try both focus on eating healthy, add weight training for muscles, and do some cardio for heart health. Eat a bit less than you burn for fat loss. Keep it simple, be patient, and stick with it. You're on the right track!

Quick Reply

Latest