The Student Room Group

How many subjects can you do at uni? Which should I do?

When it comes to unis, it always confuses. Particularly as I'm considering both British and American unis.

There are so many Acronyms, Mbbs, MBA, BAs. Bsh, Ba(HON) - No need for explanation of these btw (lol), just pointing out that it confuses me.

Wtf is a major and minor? Is it just undergrad and post grad in the U.S? Undergrad and Masters in the U.K? Bachelors?

More importantly, how many subjects can you take in both unis?

I'm currently considering Political Sciences, Economics and International/Public relations. Preferably I'd like to do a bit of all. Surely it must be possible during 4 years of uni education?

I want to work in the government, but since that's hard over here, my next choice would be to work in a big, corporate company, doing something with the media.
Reply 1
Think the message is - do your own research as no-one else can tell you what to do. Get online and look at the courses and modules offered by whichever universities you are interested in.
Reply 2
In the UK it is not usually possible to do multiple degrees at once. In the US it is a lot more common to do several majors and minors.

You can apply for a joint honours course between two of those listed, but it's basically a single degree with a split (usually 50:50) of lecture time between the two. However this is not a requirement for any job as far as I know; a single course in one of those you listed would be seen as an equal achievement.

I would advise you not to take a 'Media' or 'Public/International Relations' course even if that's the field you want to go into; employers will usually respect an academic subject more, even if unrelated (Poltics and Economics are OK, but even English, Maths or History would be just as good).

I agree with notanumber, you need to do more research.
Look into Scotland maybe. The ancient universities do 3 courses in 1st and 2nd year. Subject to your main degree, you can then pick up to two other courses (e.g. you could do Economics, Politics + a language).
Reply 4
Game_boy
In the UK it is not usually possible to do multiple degrees at once. In the US it is a lot more common to do several majors and minors.

You can apply for a joint honours course between two of those listed, but it's basically a single degree with a split (usually 50:50) of lecture time between the two. However this is not a requirement for any job as far as I know; a single course in one of those you listed would be seen as an equal achievement.

I would advise you not to take a 'Media' or 'Public/International Relations' course even if that's the field you want to go into; employers will usually respect an academic subject more, even if unrelated (Poltics and Economics are OK, but even English, Maths or History would be just as good).

I agree with notanumber, you need to do more research.

Thanks for this :smile:

Caught my attention, is International Relations really not thought well of by unis? It sounds challenging enough? And from a personal point of view it covers most of the fields that I am intersted in.
Reply 5
In the UK you can do Single Honours (100%), Dual (50:50) and there are major/ minor degrees which would normally be 75:25, I know Leeds do a lot of major/minor.

The US is much more diverse and I think you generally study a main subject and add others throughout the entire year. You can sort of do this in the UK as my degree for example has unrestricted modules meaning I can modules in other subjects. In my first year I only have 50% of my degree being Geography and the rest, I do anything I like. I have done Philsophy, East Asian Studies, Management and Sociology modules. In the second year I can do 1/3 unrestricted and in the third year, 1/6 unrestricted modules. This could be a compromise so research around :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending