The Student Room Group

Science vs Economics/Politics degree??

Hi everyone,
I started Sixth Form this year and I've just finished my first half term; for my A-Levels I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I've always loved science and for a while I've had my eye on the Natural Sciences degree at Cambridge (I got almost all 9s at GCSE and I'm hoping for 4 A*s at A-Level so I think this is a reasonable goal).

However, I really enjoy writing and debating and have a substantial extracurricular interest in Law, International Relations, Politics and Economics. Having been at Sixth Form for 2 months I'm realising how much I miss these subjects, and I know that I would want them to form a part of my career in the future.

So what should I do? Change my A-Levels? (even though I still really love the sciences and I don't know if my school would let me change this late). Keep my A-Levels, but apply for a PPE/Economics/Law degree? (from what I've seen this is technically possible, but I don't know how feasible it is...) Or should I stick with Natural Sciences and after graduating look for a job / keep studying for something that combines the two disciplines? (science communication, science journalism, science diplomacy etc.) With regards to the last one, I don't know how many jobs like that exist...

Thanks for any advice :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by thelorax
Hi everyone,
I started Sixth Form this year and I've just finished my first half term; for my A-Levels I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I've always loved science and for a while I've had my eye on the Natural Sciences degree at Cambridge ... However, I really enjoy writing and debating and have a substantial extracurricular interest in Law, International Relations, Politics and Economics.

You have until next September before you have to make these Uni/degree decisions - time to go to Uni Open Days, listen to subject presentations. ask questions, and think carefully about what these degree subjects are all about.

Uni Taster courses also help you get a feel for what these subjects are like at degree level - and add context to A level studies in those subjects - https://www.ucas.com/events/exploring-university/learn-about-uni-taster-course

With the A level subjects you are doing, there are hundreds of possible degrees - including Law and many other social science subjects.
Stop worrying, and enjoy Sixth Form.
Original post by thelorax
Hi everyone,
I started Sixth Form this year and I've just finished my first half term; for my A-Levels I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I've always loved science and for a while I've had my eye on the Natural Sciences degree at Cambridge (I got almost all 9s at GCSE and I'm hoping for 4 A*s at A-Level so I think this is a reasonable goal).

However, I really enjoy writing and debating and have a substantial extracurricular interest in Law, International Relations, Politics and Economics. Having been at Sixth Form for 2 months I'm realising how much I miss these subjects, and I know that I would want them to form a part of my career in the future.

So what should I do? Change my A-Levels? (even though I still really love the sciences and I don't know if my school would let me change this late). Keep my A-Levels, but apply for a PPE/Economics/Law degree? (from what I've seen this is technically possible, but I don't know how feasible it is...) Or should I stick with Natural Sciences and after graduating look for a job / keep studying for something that combines the two disciplines? (science communication, science journalism, science diplomacy etc.) With regards to the last one, I don't know how many jobs like that exist...

Thanks for any advice :smile:

Hey!

I’m Oliver and am currently a third year in natural sciences studying synthetic chemistry and biochemistry pathways at Lancaster.

It sounds like you have a really broad set of interests which is amazing but definitely makes the decision making a lot harder.
I can only talk from a natural sciences perspective but I have found natural sciences to be a fantastic degree as someone who simply loves science as you can really tailer your degree to your interests across so many science departments. At Lancaster you can study pathways from chemistry, physics, maths, biology, geography and psychology, just to name a few. If you're interested the full list of pathways for Lancaster can be found here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/

I know at Lancaster there is also there is also the option to take a non science subject as your third pathway and throughout your degree 25% of your credits can be in a non science subject. Therefore you could study economics for example alongside two science subjects if you wanted.

Hope that is helpful and best of luck with your decision 😊 Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any.

Oliver (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest