The Student Room Group

Manchester or Leeds? (Undergraduate)

I’m currently having a struggle here for my choices for Uni. I’m studying business management and have gotten offers from both Manchester and leeds. Though I’m struggling to choose because of many factors. Firstly I was offered a scholarship to leeds for 50% tuition fees which is a HUGE save of money. I also really love the course structure and what it teaches. However, I’ve been reading that Manchester just overall has a better reputation and for business it’s a prestigious school no doubt over leeds. The thing is I don’t like their course as much, and I lose the scholarship from leeds which is lots of money. But I’m also thinking about how reputation can affect my future employment and overall attractiveness for jobs.

If anyone can offer advice or give your experience please do so! This is really making me stressed 😭
Original post by tamstyn
I’m currently having a struggle here for my choices for Uni. I’m studying business management and have gotten offers from both Manchester and leeds. Though I’m struggling to choose because of many factors. Firstly I was offered a scholarship to leeds for 50% tuition fees which is a HUGE save of money. I also really love the course structure and what it teaches. However, I’ve been reading that Manchester just overall has a better reputation and for business it’s a prestigious school no doubt over leeds. The thing is I don’t like their course as much, and I lose the scholarship from leeds which is lots of money. But I’m also thinking about how reputation can affect my future employment and overall attractiveness for jobs.
If anyone can offer advice or give your experience please do so! This is really making me stressed 😭

Hey @tamstyn - congrats on both your offers!! That's amazing :smile:

Personally, I'd say to choose the course you love, rather than focusing on reputation. If you don't like the course very much at Manchester then you might not thrive there and have regrets. You want to enjoy the course and enjoy studying it! :smile:

Becky
Original post by tamstyn

i would honestly argue that leeds is just as prestigious as manchester, even if not for your degree specifically. it’s also a lovely place, so there aren’t many cons considering you like the course more. which city do you prefer?
Go where you will be happiest.

'Prestige' - how do you measure that.
And at the level of Leeds / Manchester, 'which Uni' will have no impact on your career.
agree ⬆️ both have excellent business schools
minimising student loan ‘debt’ does make sound financial sense, as well as the advice given to opt for the course and city you prefer
Original post by tamstyn

@tamstyn

I don't think employers will disregard if you went to Leeds over Manchester or vice versa. I think the most important thing to them will be the results you get, how knowledgeable you are in your subject and whether your personality means you will be a good fit for the team.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Agreed you should choose what you love! If you enjoy the course and uni life, you will do well and if you do well, you are more likely to get the job you like! I personally know Oxbridge graduates who don’t do so well in their career. It’s not just about the name of your uni. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending