The Student Room Group

Help me with my choice for A Level (aspiring law student)

I want to read law at uni but I'm undecided on my A Levels

I'm not sure what subject combo I want to take. I wanted to do history and politics together but aren't they too similar and considered by unis like taking business AND econ a-levels.

below is the list of subjects I like in descending order from the one I like the most.

1) English Literature
2) History
3) Politics
4) Economics
5) Classical Civilisation
Reply 1
Original post by antique-prescrip

I'm not sure what subject combo I want to take. I wanted to do history and politics together but aren't they too similar and considered by unis like taking business AND econ a-levels.

below is the list of subjects I like in descending order from the one I like the most.

1) English Literature
2) History
3) Politics
4) Economics

History and Politics is just as good of a choice as English Lit and Politics. Economics is also looked at well by most unis, and have you thought about Law A-Level? It is not a required prerequisite, but does help to gauge your interest and passion for the subject (i.e. the first year will tell you whether you would like to pursue Law or not). My recommendation would either be English Lit, History and Law, or Law, Politics, Economics. Then again, it depends what kind of field you want to go into in Law and where you want to apply.
Reply 2
I agree with the person above on using this time to gauge your passion for law, but I don't believe that you should do it as an A level unless you're planning on taking four. Many unis will probably prefer you to not do law at A level due to the methods in which you practise it not being as advanced or technical as the LLB standard, and although you'll understand how many areas of law you cover, it'll be like having to re-walk the path you've trodden on, by what I've heard. I would ideally (coming from someone who is hoping to get into law through a conversion course) choose essay-based subjects that prove analytical skills such as English Literature, and one that analyses and picks apart certain events such as History (for past events and how they affect the present, same as cases in law) or Politics (for political milestones and manifestos that have shaped the country/world into the form it is today). Politics does normally cover the basics of the UK judicial system so you do get a small insight through that too. I'd also look at how they are assessed, as English Lit is mostly essays with 1-2 coursework bits and Politics is normally straight essays if I'm not mistaken. I don't know enough on History to comment. If you are able to take a modern language, I would highly advise on that, too.

Gauge your passion for law elsewhere. It's a highly competitive field everywhere (but especially if you are aspiring to a RG for law) so use your extracurriculars and holidays to network, get experience, talk to current law students etc and that should make you well-rounded enough to get in (and also allow you to change your mind if that happens two years down the line). Try debating, journalism, summer schemes, online discussions, and read.
Do the three you like the most, your top three choices include two traditional essay writing academic choices
Reply 4

1) English Literature
2) History
3) Politics
4) Economics

They are all great for law as they are all tradition academic subjects and essay based. Pick the ones you are most likely to get A*’s in. The grades will make the difference, not the subject choice.

1) English Literature
2) History
3) Politics
4) Economics

History and politics are fine together. The reason business studies and economics were historically disliked in combination by some unis (currently only aware of LSE having an issue with that) is due to overlapping content, mainly I think some microeconomics content which is covered in both. History and politics are pretty unrelated in terms of content so there is no issue in taking both.
Reply 6

1) English Literature
2) History
3) Politics
4) Economics

Go for the ones that will give you the highest grades. All of the subjects you have mentioned are fine, although I would try to get Economics in there if you can (if your GCSE Maths is good) as it can improve the ability to think logically. Some people love their Law degree; many don't, and you do not need it if you think you might want to work in law (though obviously it is quicker). If you are really unsure about what subjects to choose, contact a few universities to see if they have a preference. And, as others have said, start getting experience in law now if at all possible, and don't forget to read all The Secret Barrister books!
Original post by mirsaid.a
History and Politics is just as good of a choice as English Lit and Politics. Economics is also looked at well by most unis, and have you thought about Law A-Level? It is not a required prerequisite, but does help to gauge your interest and passion for the subject (i.e. the first year will tell you whether you would like to pursue Law or not). My recommendation would either be English Lit, History and Law, or Law, Politics, Economics. Then again, it depends what kind of field you want to go into in Law and where you want to apply.

my school does not offer law and isn't it considered a soft A-Level that unis don't really like
Reply 8

1) English Literature
2) History
3) Politics
4) Economics

English Lit becomes quite hard at A-level, so unless you get an 8/9, or are willing to put in a lot of work I would recommend it. Classical Civ is one of the easiest A-levels to get an A in, and a lot of my classmates who have applied for law have done English lit and Classical Civ. Since for Law you need such high grades (usually A*AA), pick subjects you know you can do well in.
Original post by mirsaid.a

I agree
Original post by waffelton
English Lit becomes quite hard at A-level, so unless you get an 8/9, or are willing to put in a lot of work I would recommend it. Classical Civ is one of the easiest A-levels to get an A in, and a lot of my classmates who have applied for law have done English lit and Classical Civ. Since for Law you need such high grades (usually A*AA), pick subjects you know you can do well in.

Im predicted a 9 in English Lit (OCR) and I would put in the work for it coz i love the subject. I know classical civ is easy but honestly I find it a bit dreary sometimes (not as much as stem - still fairly interesting) relatively compared to modern history and english gcse
Im predicted a 9 in English Lit (OCR) and I would put in the work for it coz i love the subject. I know classical civ is easy but honestly I find it a bit dreary sometimes (not as much as stem - still fairly interesting) relatively compared to modern history and english gcse

I’d definitely recommend doing English Lit then! I’m not sure what classics is like at GCSE but at A-level, it’s really similar to English Lit (we read a bunch of books in translation and write about them.) Unis don’t really discriminate against A-levels other than looking at what grades you got in them, so do something you enjoy and are willing to put the work in to get high grades. If you have the chance, try doing an EPQ, which you can relate to Law, as this will aid your application.

Quick Reply

Latest