The Student Room Group

How do you decide on a uni course?

I have two courses that I'm split on and I just cannot choose which one I'd rather do. I'm already stuck deciding between universities but I've found one I want that doesn't do one of the courses and it's making me sad I can't have both.
I felt excited reading about one of the courses, but I'm worried about financing it. I did it at Alevel and enjoyed it. But what if I don't enjoy it at degree level or I can't afford it?

The other course is something brand new and I feel I would love it but I'm worried to start something new. What if I don't like the modules? Or I'm just not good? But it's a cross of all my A-Levels and I would love to try it.

I'm very nervous and lost and I feel scared and alone in this.
Original post by Anonymous
I have two courses that I'm split on and I just cannot choose which one I'd rather do. I'm already stuck deciding between universities but I've found one I want that doesn't do one of the courses and it's making me sad I can't have both.
I felt excited reading about one of the courses, but I'm worried about financing it. I did it at Alevel and enjoyed it. But what if I don't enjoy it at degree level or I can't afford it?

The other course is something brand new and I feel I would love it but I'm worried to start something new. What if I don't like the modules? Or I'm just not good? But it's a cross of all my A-Levels and I would love to try it.

It depends on a variety of factors e.g.

Do you have an ideal career that you want to pursue?

Which of the degrees would help you in your ideal career?

Does your ideal career require a specific type or accredited degree? If it doesn't, will either degrees help or deter you in any way?

Are you eligible for funding or student loans? What about bursaries and scholarships?

Which of the 2 subjects you're better at/score the higher grade in?

Can you do one subject at undergrad and then the other one at postgrad?

Can you do one as a degree, and the other through professional certifications, if appropriate?

Why do you want to go to uni?

Which subject would you regret the least in doing or the most in not doing?

What have the alumni said about the degrees, especially at those specific unis?

Are you OK with studying/reading about one of the subjects after uni as opposed during uni?

Have you checked whether there are joint degrees or Natural Science degrees that would allow you to study both subjects?

Which unis have you considered? Are they all only in the UK?

Have you looked at the modules and the content of the degrees before making a comparison?

It's very difficult to advise when there is like zero context to work from.

As you have kept yourself anonymous, I don't see why you should keep the subjects a secret as well. If you feel like sharing the subjects to get a second opinion, let me know.

I've been stuck at deciding for 4 years fml. All I know is that I want something in STEM.
I've been stuck at deciding for 4 years fml. All I know is that I want something in STEM.

Should I interject? If you want me to help narrow things down, let me know
Should I interject? If you want me to help narrow things down, let me know

Thank you I'm kinda busy atm but I'm open to advice if I can reply later

I'd be able to advise you better if I knew what courses you were referring to.
Reply 6
It depends on a variety of factors e.g.

Do you have an ideal career that you want to pursue?

Which of the degrees would help you in your ideal career?

Does your ideal career require a specific type or accredited degree? If it doesn't, will either degrees help or deter you in any way?

Are you eligible for funding or student loans? What about bursaries and scholarships?

Which of the 2 subjects you're better at/score the higher grade in?

Can you do one subject at undergrad and then the other one at postgrad?

Can you do one as a degree, and the other through professional certifications, if appropriate?

Why do you want to go to uni?

Which subject would you regret the least in doing or the most in not doing?

What have the alumni said about the degrees, especially at those specific unis?

Are you OK with studying/reading about one of the subjects after uni as opposed during uni?

Have you checked whether there are joint degrees or Natural Science degrees that would allow you to study both subjects?

Which unis have you considered? Are they all only in the UK?

Have you looked at the modules and the content of the degrees before making a comparison?

It's very difficult to advise when there is like zero context to work from.

As you have kept yourself anonymous, I don't see why you should keep the subjects a secret as well. If you feel like sharing the subjects to get a second opinion, let me know.

Thank you :smile: I'm stuck choosing between photography (/photography and video) and media production and the reason i didn't share is because a lot of advice is just ahh don't bother, which isn't at all helpful to me right now. I really appreciate the help in your reply.
Thank you :smile: I'm stuck choosing between photography (/photography and video) and media production and the reason i didn't share is because a lot of advice is just ahh don't bother, which isn't at all helpful to me right now. I really appreciate the help in your reply.

Anon,

I think you will enjoy either option as they are very similar : )

You could perhaps go for photography and video as that's the midway option for them all.

My only thoughts are that if you are more interested in fine art and creative expression, it might be easier to look at that with photography or photography and video e.g. looking at different artists and experimenting and that media production even though it would still be creative might be more geared towards the media industry, so less room to experiment but more focused on learning industry skills.

Read about each course so that you are clear on you would be learning/studying and see whether that suits you!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

No, that's not helpful lol.

On the other hand, you don't need degrees to become a photographer or go into media (both are very competitive though), which is probably why you got the comments that you did.

My personal preference would be to do photography and video as you get to pick up specific skills and technical knowledge (so you can go into self employment, employment, or teach). Media production, as far as I know, doesn't give you as much technical knowledge (unless you correct me) and focus more on theory. Mind you, I didn't do either subjects at uni level, so I might not be the best person to advise.
I know of a person who did a degree in photography and become a freelance videographer in London after lecturing for a short while at his alma mata, which is pretty impressive. The person I know who did media studies went and become a junior financial planner.

Other than the fact that you enjoyed the subjects, what's the appeal of either subjects or why do you want to do a degree in them?

Hello there anon,

Choosing a course can be a really difficult decision - its a big investment in your future - but please try not to feel lost, so many students feel exactly the same, including me a few years ago when I was weighing up courses.

In terms of choosing a university, its important that you feel at home there and in the city visit them if you able or check out any online video-tours as this will really allow you to visualise yourself there and whether it ‘feels right’.

In terms of your course choice, I would advise you to...

1. Thoroughly look into the module breakdowns of the courses - are there particular units which really spark your interest? If you haven’t yet applied then the beauty of UCAS' website is that you can apply for a wider range of courses now, and then carry out further research (including visiting universities) once you receive offers, which is often a good time to really find out about the detail of specific courses.

2. Think practically about whether you can see yourself studying that course for the next 3-4 years does this excite and motivate you?

3. Speak to others friends, family, teachers etc who know you well. Perhaps ask them about what their thoughts are and where they think your strengths would lie.

4. Have a think about your future career. Media production would perhaps give you a broader range of skills than a straight photography or photography and vid course so may open up more possibilities, and also may enlighten you to more options you may not have considered before. However it depends where you feel your passion lies.

5. Also consider other factors such as how you are assessed on that course, and whether those methods (e.g. coursework, project/portfolio work, exams) suit you as a learner.

One thing I would definitely say is that although you may not need a degree for certain careers, university is more than a means to an end! It can open up so many doors you may not have even thought about, so if you feel like it’s the right path for you and something you would enjoy, then go for it 😊 do what’s best for you. Whichever you choose it would definitely be worth checking out what scholarships or bursaries you may be eligible for, and checking out the part-time and casual job opportunities on your university website these roles are often a lot of fun and are a great helping hand for your budget.

I hope this helps - best of luck in your next steps whatever you decide, and feel free to post any more questions on here :smile:

Holly
University of Bath

Hey there,

Can I ask what subjects you're considering? Is there any overlap to do a joint honours? I'd say that it's worth getting some advice from a careers advisor at your college if you can and look through all the modules that you could take for each course in detail to see what interests you more.

Regarding finance, can I ask what your specific concerns are? Is it balancing a part-time job? Paying the loan back? I'll try to help explain where I can.

All the best,

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi,
Choosing the right course can definitely be a daunting experience.
The biggest advice I could give is try and go to as many open days as possible and speak to the staff of the universities you’re interested in as much as you can.
Nobody will know what the course content is like more than the staff who deliver it on a daily basis and they should be able to answer any questions you have about the content, and it differing from Alevel.
Other than course content, think about where you want to be living and the surrounding areas. The city that you study in can sometimes be just as important as the course you pick as you want to make sure you’re happy there during your down time.
I hope this helps,
Good luck,
Meg 🙂

Hey there!

Choosing a university can be a really difficult decision so it is important not to rush it and do what is right for you! I would definitely recommend going to university open days as you can not only get a feel for the campus, but have a chat to the tutors about the different courses - you'll find everyone is super friendly at these days!

At open days, most universities will have their finance teams there where you can have a chat with them to discuss your concerns about financing the course!

I hope this helps!

Rebecca

Hi,

Choosing your course is one of the most challenging yet exciting milestones in a person's life so it's completely understandable to feel a bit nervous and scared.

I would recommend doing whichever course you feel most passionate about as if you are passionate about your course, it will make the studying, assignments and lectures so much easier. I'd read into the modules that the courses offer and see which one interests you the most and which one you can see yourself working in post-university

I'd speak to students who are studying those courses through attending open days and using platforms such as unibuddy as this will let you get an insight into how the course is actually structured.

I'd also look at how each course is assessed as if there is an assessment method that you think would best suit you then let that be a considering factor too.

I hope these tips help you make a decision and at the end of the day choose the course you think will make you the happiest and most motivated!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending