The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Physics Unit 5 'Physics from Creation to Collapse'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
RADIUS OF A STAR

-Disperse light to produce a spectrum.
-Get the max wavelength.
-Get the surface temperature using the Weins Law
-Check if the star lies in the Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram.
-If so get the Luminosity of the star.
-Use stefan-boltzmann law to get the radius.
yadas
Thanks, but I cant find any part of our syllabus this is related to. :K:
131 Use a simple Hertzsprung-Russell diagram to explain life cycle of stars.
I doubt we would need to remember all those points of star formation. :K:

Well we just need to remember the scales on the axes, roughly where each region is (e.g. white dwarves, red giants/supergiants, main sequence) and to appreciate that a star moves across the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram throughout its lifetime.
Reply 162
OL1V3R
Well we just need to remember the scales on the axes, roughly where each region is (e.g. white dwarves, red giants/supergiants, main sequence) and to appreciate that a star moves across the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram throughout its lifetime.

Exactly, not the whole 'formation of a star' story. :smile:
yadas
Exactly, not the whole 'formation of a star' story. :smile:

I thought we did have to remember that!
Reply 164
OL1V3R
I thought we did have to remember that!

You just agreed we should only be able to use the diagram. :biggrin:
Which part (number) of the syllabus is it referring to anyway?
Reply 165
Starting phy5 revision for the day.
Hi does anyone know a solid website for physics which has stuff designed for a level so you can just read it to know it? I practically learnt chemistry off the chemguide website so I was rather hoping to repeat that. Anyone?
Reply 167
I can't even prepare for this exam yet, I've got two economics exams this week :colonhash:
Reply 168
I have BIO5 with article :colonhash:
Reply 169
I have enough time to prepare. :colonhash:
lefneosan
Hi does anyone know a solid website for physics which has stuff designed for a level so you can just read it to know it? I practically learnt chemistry off the chemguide website so I was rather hoping to repeat that. Anyone?

S Cool is OK, but the revision books will be a million times better.
Reply 171
yadas
I have enough time to prepare. :colonhash:

same here only phy5 left.
Can someone explain to me why this radiation spectrum from the Sun has a wavelength of maximum intensity corresponding to blue light, when the Sun is orange? I don't understand this, could it be due to Doppler shift?

The Magnificent KoloToure
S Cool is OK, but the revision books will be a million times better.

thanks
I am trying to collect questions I have found that are relevant to the subjects. This is what I've got so far. It's not perfect as they're just questions I've collected from the 'net so are not moulded specially for the specification, but they should help to test your understanding.

Has anyone got anything to add?

I'll upload other units as I get more.
havinghoops
I am trying to collect questions I have found that are relevant to the subjects. This is what I've got so far. It's not perfect as they're just questions I've collected from the 'net so are not moulded specially for the specification, but they should help to test your understanding.

:thumbsup:Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile: :yep:
OL1V3R
Can someone explain to me why this radiation spectrum from the Sun has a wavelength of maximum intensity corresponding to blue light, when the Sun is orange?

I thought it was because the sun peaked at UV light, which can't be seen.

And fredbraty, no problem :smile:
Reply 177
havinghoops

thanks
Reply 178
havinghoops

Did you see these? :K:
yadas
Did you see these? :K:

Woah, :eek: no way I'm gonna be able to get through them in a week, as well as doing my Chem 5.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending