The Student Room Group

A few questions on esters

Hi. I know that when CH3CH2OH + CH3COOH react , this produces (with a H+ catalyst) CH3COOCH2CH3 + H2O.

However, what happens when the hydroxy (OH) group is on the 2nd carbon, so, for example. Help me with these two (ie complete the equations and explain please!)

1) PROPAN-2-OL + ETHANOIC ACID
CH3CH(OH)CH3 + CH3COOH ->(this is supposed to be an equilibrium sign)

2) BUTAN-2-OL + ETHANOIC ACID
CH3CH2CH(OH)CH3 + CH3COOH ->(again, this is supposed to be an equilibrium sign)

Please complete the above 2 equations, and explain your answers, name the products as well if you have time (although I could do that easily, so maybe not)

Scroll to see replies

It reacts in the same way - it forms an ester, the difference is that a hydrogen is replaced by an alkyl group.

Here is the answer to the first one:

Have a go at the second one :smile:
ukmd
Hi. I know that when CH3CH2OH + CH3COOH react , this produces (with a H+ catalyst) CH3COOCH2CH3 + H2O.

However, what happens when the hydroxy (OH) group is on the 2nd carbon, so, for example. Help me with these two (ie complete the equations and explain please!)

CH3CH(OH)CH3 + CH3COOH ->(this is supposed to be an equilibrium sign)

CH3CH2CH(OH)CH3 + CH3COOH ->(again, this is supposed to be an equilibrium sign)

Please complete the above 2 equations, and explain your answers, name the products as well if you have time (although I could do that easily, so maybe not)

Both would react to form esters, but at the different sites, obviously:
1) CH3CH(COOCCH3)CH3
and
2)CH3CH2CH(COOCCH3)CH3
Reply 3
EierVonSatan
It reacts in the same way - it forms an ester, the difference is that a hydrogen is replaced by an alkyl group.

Here is the answer to the first one:

Have a go at the second one :smile:

And how do I name that lol? Thought it would be much simpler.... however, I cannot. How would I write that in "structural forumla" ?
ukmd
And how do I name that lol? Thought it would be much simpler.... however, I cannot.

Esters are named in the form 'alkyl carboxylate' so 2-propyl ethanoate for this one :smile:

How would I write that in "structural formula"?

(CH3)2CHOOCCH3
Reply 5
So the answers to my questions are :
CH3CH(OH)CH3 + CH3COOH ->(this is supposed to be an equilibrium sign) CH3CH(COOCCH3)CH3 + H2O ?

CH3CH2CH(OH)CH3 + CH3COOH ->(again, this is supposed to be an equilibrium sign) CH3CH2CH(COOCCH3)CH3 + H2O ?

That isn't the correct structural forumal for the products is it?
Reply 6
EierVonSatan
Esters are named in the form 'alkyl carboxylate' so 2-propyl ethanoate for this one :smile:

(CH3)2CHOOCCH3

That structural formula doers not match up with the name given does it??????????
ukmd
So the answers to my questions are :
CH3CH(OH)CH3 + CH3COOH ->(this is supposed to be an equilibrium sign) CH3CH(COOCCH3)CH3 + H2O ?

CH3CH2CH(OH)CH3 + CH3COOH ->(again, this is supposed to be an equilibrium sign) CH3CH2CH(COOCCH3)CH3 + H2O ?

That isn't the correct structural forumal for the products is it?

Yes. All you is replacing hydroxy group with ester group
Reply 8
AutVinceriAutMori
Yes. All you is replacing hydroxy group with ester group

Hi, you and the other helper are both giving me different answers, which is correct lol? :confused:
ukmd
Hi, you and the other helper are both giving me different answers, which is correct lol? :confused:

Erm, ignore my orignal post on the name (I deleted it anyway), EvS knows better. Sorry for confusing
ukmd
That structural formula doers not match up with the name given does it??????????

It does :s-smilie:

Would it be easier to see if I wrote it the 'other way round'?

CH3COOCH(CH3)2
Reply 11
ukmd

can you not figure out? or have you not learnt anything from this learning process and are merely seeking for an answer?
Reply 12
Does the other one (BUTAN-2-OL + ETHANOIC ACID) give the product CH3COOC(CH3)3 ? Or is that not correct?
Reply 13
shengoc
can you not figure out? or have you not learnt anything from this learning process and are merely seeking for an answer?

That is why I came on here... 95% of the work I am fine with that I get given, any misconceptions I have or anything I am "struggling" with I come on TSR with. Sorry, but I don't go to Oxford.
Reply 14
ukmd
That is why I came on here... 95% of the work I am fine with that I get given, any misconceptions I have or anything I am "struggling" with I come on TSR with. Sorry, but I don't go to Oxford.

chill, dude! my comment wasn't meant to offend, it was merely so that when pushed a little bit, you can figure out what you should do next with these hints; it should be the way of learning instead of being "spoon-fed" which very often happens in school.

ukmd
Does the other one (BUTAN-2-OL + ETHANOIC ACID) give the product CH3COOC(CH3)3 ? Or is that not correct?

Again you should draw out the structure, then it is the H from alcohol group that goes off and the OH from acid group that comes off, the remaining COO forms the ester bond.

Your structural formula gives the correct isomer, but doesn't really indicate the ester being formed at the 2 position of the original butan-2-ol.
ukmd

Nope. Try drawing out the product you get from the reaction and then convert the drawing to the structural formula

That is the product between 2-methylpropan-2-ol and ethanoic acid.
Reply 16
EierVonSatan
It does :s-smilie:

Would it be easier to see if I wrote it the 'other way round'?

CH3COOCH(CH3)2

I still don't know how you have named the above 2-propyl ethanoate ?
ukmd
I still don't know how you have named the above 2-propyl ethanoate ?

Right, can you name CH3COOCH2CH3 ? :smile:

It's very similar to that :yep:
Reply 18
EierVonSatan

It's very similar to that :yep:

ethyl ethanoate

ukmd
ethyl ethanoate

Yeah, the 'ethyl' part comes from the alkyl chain (show in red) and the 'ethanoate' comes from the carboxylate (show in blue)

the carboxylate is the same for question one, but the alkyl chain is different. The alkyl chain has three carbons - propyl and the OH was on the middle carbon - so 2-propyl ethanoate. Does that help?

Quick Reply

Latest