The Student Room Group

Women In Society Are Undermined

Do you think women in today's society are undermined and a bit oppressed. I mean as a woman i literally get sick at the fact that when i walk into a shop, i see magazines with naked women on them. When im walking across the street, even though its freezing, women think that they HAVE to wear something skimpy to feel the littlest bit attractive.
In shows, its always the women who are the ones who seduce the men by wearing barely anything or things that are soo skin tight.
In adverts, they sell things by making women seem soo sexual, i.e. women in barely anything.
I think women are treated as more of a sex symbol than as humans in media and society.

I just wanted to see if anyone else felt the same way??

Scroll to see replies

I don't think you need to worry your sweet little mind about it :smile:
Your orientation says:
"STRAIGHT N Single *wink*wink* :P"

yet you complain women are undermined by mags, tv ect?
Reply 3
Lovlii-Ladii
Do you think women in today's society are undermined and a bit oppressed. I mean as a woman i literally get sick at the fact that when i walk into a shop, i see magazines with naked women on them.

Men are objectified in the media too, though. In my opinion it's completely impossible to stop men and women from sexualising each other; the issue is whether women are as free to look at men as men are to look at women. And I think you pretty much are.

Lovlii-Ladii
When im walking across the street, even though its freezing, women think that they HAVE to wear something skimpy to feel the littlest bit attractive.

This is just totally untrue, where I live at least.

Lovlii-Ladii
In shows, its always the women who are the ones who seduce the men by wearing barely anything or things that are soo skin tight.

Do you think guys aren't just as neurotic about attractng the opposite sex as women? A quick read of TSR will set you straight. The onus is just as much on guys to seduce, it's just that guys are expected to behave and speak in a certain (quite unnatural) way, rather than dress in one.

Lovlii-Ladii
In adverts, they sell things by making women seem soo sexual, i.e. women in barely anything.

This is true I guess. Men are depicted in this way too, although I'd agree there's an imbalance.
Lovlii-Ladii
Do you think women in today's society are undermined and a bit oppressed. I mean as a woman i literally get sick at the fact that when i walk into a shop, i see magazines with naked women on them. When im walking across the street, even though its freezing, women think that they HAVE to wear something skimpy to feel the littlest bit attractive.
I think women are treated as more of a sex symbol than as humans in media and society.

We should equal it out with naked men magazines :top:

I'm just thinking about the Alpen advert now...
Reply 5
Oh god. Open your eyes. Yes women are still oppressed blah blah, but men these days are treated in exactly the same way pretty much.

Abercrombie and fitch use male topless models in their stores -those men are serving nothing but eye candy. Men are the ones generally who have to chat up girls, and there are naked male magazines.

And I don't feel like I HAVE to wear skimpy clothes in winter -I'm all for wrapping up warm. Your attitude to women is about as oppressive as you're making out society is - ever wonder if these women CHOSE to wear these things and act this way? That isn't oppression.
Reply 6
how is it a choice..when society and fashion clearly makes the rules on how you should act and dress. If you dont follow it, you will be a social outcast, you wont be fashionable, you wont really be attractive will ya...well atleast not in the eyes of society.
Lovlii-Ladii
how is it a choice..when society and fashion clearly makes the rules on how you should act and dress. If you dont follow it, you will be a social outcast, you wont be fashionable, you wont really be attractive will ya...well atleast not in the eyes of society.

That's complete BS tbh, if you're that affected by what "society" thinks of you that just makes you weak minded
Reply 8
Lovlii-Ladii

Hmmm

Yes because Emo and goth is totally outcast, what was once outcast is now semi main-stream.
Reply 9
vas876
Hmmm

Yes because Emo and goth is totally outcast, what was once outcast is now semi main-stream.

:lolwut:
I didn't realise the only stylez were faschonable, emo an' goth. This is where I've been goin' wrong!
I think you should stop worrying your pretty little head put your knickers on and go make me a cup of tea. Leave the serious business up to me.

*Pinches ass*

Thanks sweet cheeks. :wink:
kopi, ffs
:lolwut:
I didn't realise the only stylez were faschonable, emo an' goth. This is where I've been goin' wrong!

I was replying to the OP previous post.

She said that if you don't do what is "socially" acceptable you would be outcast, so i found 2 example of what was outcast, which made its own little social culture.

I cant believe i needed to explain that :facepalm:
Gelatinous Blob
I think you should stop worrying your pretty little head put your knickers on and go make me a cup of tea. Leave the serious business up to me.

*Pinches ass*

What a first post!
I go to university and looking out of my window I can see dozens of girls wearing jeans, jackets and hoodies because it's cold.
Do you think that Brad Pitt would have been half as popular if he was ugly? Men get the same treatment, just not in such an obvious way. I can't remember which magazine but I'm sure that one of the female glossies does a "Naked man centrefold". And it depends on which shows you watch- the only tv series that I really watch are Green Wing and The Office (US) in which both the female leads dress normally, sometimes borderline frumpy
Reply 14
I think if any woman feels the need to dress, look or act a certain way, that's her fault.
Reply 15
sugar_and_spice
We should equal it out with naked men magazines :top:

Men tend to be more visual, so there are always going to be more magazines aimed at them than at women. On the other hand, 90% of erotic literature is bought by women. In general, men like to look at it, women like to read about it.
Women like the OP obviously can't think for themselves and need to be oppressed and controlled.
Lovlii-Ladii

Careful lads there's a femi-nazi on the loose!

And don't give all the BS about "only" naked women. Have you never seen the Calvin Klein adverts or the ridiculous womens mags which have scantily clad images of both men AND women.

If you're too insecure about your looks to not wear warm clothes in winter then it's you that's got the problems, not society.

When have you seen a girl chatting up a guy to get them to go on a date with them. A lot have things have changed but it's sociological norm for the guy to ask out the girl (with a few exceptions).
I wouldn't say they're undermined of oppressed. I would say that they have it worse than men, in a sense that everything about them must be :awesome:.
Reply 19
Dream Weaver
Your orientation says:
"STRAIGHT N Single *wink*wink* :P"

yet you complain women are undermined by mags, tv ect?

THIS.

Also, sometimes it does wind me up a bit and you cant deny there's truth to what youre saying. But I just think media is media, it isnt real life, and men know that. As for girls walking around in miniskirts in the dead of winter, men treat it as eyecandy but likely wouldnt date a girl with that little common sense.

Latest

Trending

Trending