The Student Room Group

LNAT essay review

Hey! I have my LNAT in a few weeks, I was hoping to get some feedback on one of the essays I wrote (adhering to the time limit).

Should the law require people to vote in general elections?

One of the core features of a democratic society is the right granted to each and every citizen to choose their representative by the way of elections. I believe it is important for us to recognise our individual and collective responsibility to choose the people who govern us.

1 Living in a democratic society, we often question that the publically elected government at the central level is not functioning in a manner that advocates and safeguards our interests. If every citizen of the country voices his/her choice, stands up for their beliefs and act in manner which focuses on the collective good, they may be better represented. The parties contesting in the elections prioritize their votebanks (or people whose support they have and require in order to win in the election). This election tactic would become extremely difficult to keep a track of, if the people, who hold nuanced opinions and whose support is conditional to the parties active politices and actions to guard their interests. Although some people would argue that the mere inclusionof every citizen in the election process does not ensure that the elected government would necessarily act for the collective good. This argument does not hold relevance because the citizens need would have atleast expressed their choice, and will be open to voice their dissent.

2. The elected govt would have larger accountability given the fact that the entire population of the country, which actively participated in the election of the government will keep a check on the governments functions and actions.
People might believe that compulsory voting may be against individual right to abstain from engaging in the governance and its election. This portrayal is arguably fallacious as given the fact that we voluntarly give up our self possession when we live in a society as we pay the taxes, conform to the laws of the land, uphold every citizens as well as our natural rights, we cannot shy away from the responsibility of actively contributing our thought to the functioning of the system that we give and take from.
If a person does not find either parties suitable enough to be elected, an option for none of thabove should be included in the ballot if compulsory voting is to be implemented. The political discourse of the country would be better shaped if the assent and dissent of the citizens towards the party seeking election would be
Someone may not find any party suitable enough to be elected- should more importantly present his/her dissatisfaction by choosing the (None of the above) choice. It will constitute an impactful contribution to shaping the political discourse if the ratio of people who don’t believe in the contesting parties openly represent their dissatisfaction
The society that we live in is administered by the government. The meaning and essence of a democracy gets undermined if we do not collectively practice our democratic rights. The governments formed without collective input of the population, would be the government elected by a few and would not essentially focus on safeguarding the interests of the whole.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending