The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

shady lane
You should also read "The Wretched of the Earth" and "Black Skin, White Masks" by Franz Fanon, who was a Caribbean psychiatrist. He discusses the psychology of black people in white-dominated societies. So you can learn about what SlyPie and the Afro-Caribbean person ( can't remember the name) were talking about. Just because you don't want to believe things doesn't mean they are untrue.

I actually read the Wretched of the Earth, and it's pretty clear that the guy is a Marxist, and not a very good one at that. He simultaneously justifies the murder of French civilians while condemning French abuse of Algerian civilians. Furthermore, his psychological theories have been discredited by prominent psychologists; all Fanon is is an icon of the Algerian resistance.

Also, the insults on top universities like Stanford and Berkeley for being supposedly poor based on having SOME liberal faculty is just immature. You all know they are fabulous unis.

That's an extreme understatement. Survey after survey shows that as many as 90% of college professors are leftists, and a sizeable portion of them are far leftists. As far as I know, the only colleges that are not dominated by leftists are Chicago and some colleges in the south.

If you had seen my post in another forum called "rate my uni" you can see my experience @ Magdalen College Oxford for 6 months, where I was praised as a genius by nearly every tutor and lecturer and scored "alphas" across the board. If my Stanford education is so rubbish (which is must be, since it's an American uni, according to you people), why was I outperforming Oxford's famed PPE students at one of the uni's top colleges?

I never denied that Stanford provided a good education, merely an extremely biased one. Doesn't change the fact that it's one of the better colleges in the US.
I have nothing against Stanford. They are a top class University, with an environment of learning and self-cultivation. I despise Berkeley, however. Some of the comments made there have been extremely hurtful to people like me, and I would prefer not to discuss them.
if we didn't take them as slaves the big africa tribes who sold them to us would have proberly killed em so they should owe us money.
Reply 263
What was wrong with slavery; it was an example of surivival of the fittest. I wish I could reverse many things in History. Another would be not losing the War of Independence; if Britain has the power she once rightfully had, we would be doing a much better job than the "Americans" are doing.
CW Esq
What was wrong with slavery; it was an example of surivival of the fittest. I wish I could reverse many things in History. Another would be not losing the War of Independence; if Britain has the power she once rightfully had, we would be doing a much better job than the "Americans" are doing.

Considering that Britain couldn't maintain sovereignty over Canada and Australia, I doubt it would be able to maintain sovereignty over the US, even if it didn't lose the American Revolution.
CW Esq

Another example of "survival of the fittest" maybe? :rolleyes:
Reply 266
SolInvincitus
I have nothing against Stanford. They are a top class University, with an environment of learning and self-cultivation. I despise Berkeley, however. Some of the comments made there have been extremely hurtful to people like me, and I would prefer not to discuss them.

Some of the comments made there? What, you've actually studied at Berkeley?

Honestly, please enlighten us, and discuss them because I asked you what your race was (when you were being racist) and you refused to answer; I asked you to come up with more cogent arguments, and you didn't.

And you say "some of the comments made there"...when did you study there?
Reply 267
SolInvincitus

Also, don't pretend to respect Stanford when your other post clearly didn't. THis is from the thread entitled "Chelsea Clinton" and her academic careers at Stanford and Oxford.

You said:

"""If she got into Oxford, it was because she had something in her head. But the whole Stanford thing was typical of American Universities. They will take in anyone who has money and connections. Really is a joke when you think about it. George Bush got into Yale, so that pretty much proves the American admissions system is F***ed up."""

YOU clearly implied that American universities, and mentioned the name Stanford, are jokes.....so stop PRETENDING to suck up to shady lane.
Reply 268
shady lane
Also, the insults on top universities like Stanford and Berkeley for being supposedly poor based on having SOME liberal faculty is just immature. You all know they are fabulous unis. If you had seen my post in another forum called "rate my uni" you can see my experience @ Magdalen College Oxford for 6 months, where I was praised as a genius by nearly every tutor and lecturer and scored "alphas" across the board. If my Stanford education is so rubbish (which is must be, since it's an American uni, according to you people), why was I outperforming Oxford's famed PPE students at one of the uni's top colleges?

You can't base the standard of universities on one person's experience, but the following table will assist:

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/research/story/0,9865,1550883,00.html
Bismarck
Considering that Britain couldn't maintain sovereignty over Canada and Australia, I doubt it would be able to maintain sovereignty over the US, even if it didn't lose the American Revolution.

Well we gave it to them, they didn't fight for it. Indeed I think that many colonials in these two countries including their Prime Ministers were dismayed at us giving them some sort of independance. (Back in the early 20th Century). They were worried that it would loosen links with the Empire, and in the case of Canada they were worried that they would be absorbed by the US.
Lauren
You can't base the standard of universities on one person's experience, but the following table will assist:

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/research/story/0,9865,1550883,00.html

2nd, excellent. However this table is based on research, which means diddly squat as a far as the quality of undergraduate teaching is concerned.

if you had seen my post in another forum called "rate my uni" you can see my experience @ Magdalen College Oxford for 6 months, where I was praised as a genius by nearly every tutor and lecturer and scored "alphas" across the board. If my Stanford education is so rubbish (which is must be, since it's an American uni, according to you people), why was I outperforming Oxford's famed PPE students at one of the uni's top colleges?

My Oxford graduate friend asks the same question of his american colleagues at the engineering graduate school at Stanford - curious... I wouldn't take anything by it, personally.
Reply 272
Come to think of it, I don't think there is any need for repatriations... minorities will be runnning western countries in roughly 50 years time anyway.
Reply 273
Naxalite
Come to think of it, I don't think there is any need for repatriations... minorities will be runnning western countries in roughly 50 years time anyway.

True. China will probably blow up the western world while we still sit around dallying with sports and food.
SlyPie
True. China will probably blow up the western world while we still sit around dallying with sports and food.

Why would China blow us up when it can clobber us into economic submission?
Reply 275
Well if China and India continue their economic agreements then I am sure both will develop rapidly... however there is still tension between the two and there may be a war. The winner will be the new superpower.
Reply 276
ChemistBoy

Is that with carrots and sticks? Because that would hurt......
Carl
Is that with carrots and sticks? Because that would hurt......

American and European Carrots and Sticks no less...
Reply 278
ChemistBoy

Hah..they don't even need to clobber us.

The education in the Western world below the university level is so crappy that we will naturally become economically dependent on China.

And that is when I disregard my other half and pretend not to speak English.
Reply 279
SlyPie
Hah..they don't even need to clobber us.

The education in the Western world below the university level is so crappy that we will naturally become economically dependent on China.

And that is when I disregard my other half and pretend not to speak English.

Real Chinese people don't like mixed race people. I'm not even sure you know who you are.

Latest

Trending

Trending