The Student Room Group

History NEA coursework

Hey guys I am currently doing my a level history NEA on `in the context of the years 1815-1914 how far was German nationalism responsible for the start of ww1’ my overall argument is that it merely served as a catalyst and although influential was not majorly responsible for the start of ww1 does anyone have any talking points apart from militarism,imperialism and alliances / sources or historical argûents to back my point
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Mgx13
Hey guys I am currently doing my a level history NEA on `in the context of the years 1815-1914 how far was German nationalism responsible for the start of ww1’ my overall argument is that it merely served as a catalyst and although influential was not majorly responsible for the start of ww1 does anyone have any talking points apart from militarism,imperialism and alliances / sources or historical argûents to back my point
Thanks

I don't have any sources, but I do have some advice for where to look.

Firstly if you have access JSTOR just by typing First World War Causes I've found three paper focusing on Germany and the causes of the war: https://www.jstor.org/stable/1878597?searchText=First+World+War+causes&searchUri=%2Faction%2FdoBasicSearch%3FQuery%3DFirst%2BWorld%2BWar%2Bcauses&ab_segments=0%2Fbasic_search_gsv2%2Fcontrol&refreqid=fastly-default%3A4bf09aa81d7b1e7c75b7d49638606d40 , https://www.jstor.org/stable/1877519?searchText=First+World+War+causes+German+nationalism&searchUri=%2Faction%2FdoBasicSearch%3FQuery%3DFirst%2BWorld%2BWar%2Bcauses%2BGerman%2Bnationalism&ab_segments=0%2Fbasic_search_gsv2%2Fcontrol&refreqid=fastly-default%3A1b101e33d44cc8d8396ed3dba054f4e5 , and https://www.jstor.org/stable/1878597?searchText=First+World+War+causes+German+nationalism&searchUri=%2Faction%2FdoBasicSearch%3FQuery%3DFirst%2BWorld%2BWar%2Bcauses%2BGerman%2Bnationalism&ab_segments=0%2Fbasic_search_gsv2%2Fcontrol&refreqid=fastly-default%3Aef33d30e3d464e4dba5b388426f418f9.

Now each of these paper's will include primary sources as well as reference other secondary sources. Follow the citations and read them also look at other aspects focusing on other reasons ie why did the Russians enter the war? Try look at some texts that gave a broader view of the causes (typical history books are a good start check your local library).
Original post by Mgx13
Thanks

Economic reasons e.g. trade, advancements in technology, previous conflicts that led to loss of land, previous conflicts such as the Boer War where the Germans sided with the Boers so already saw Britain as an enemy, political figures at the time, British Empire/ other more powerful empires- these might all come down to nationalism though?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending