The Student Room Group

Politics essay analysis

hey guys i just got back my assessment essay for politics and i got a 14/30, my teacher said that basically i know what im talking about and have good examples and points but im lacking in my chain of analysis. tbh analysis in written essays has always been a weak point for me since gcse english but its really holding me back in politics. Can anyone please give me advice on how to develop it? i do edexcel gov&pol for reference
I do Edexcel politics too! I just got a political ideas essay back and got mainly in level 4 band. I don’t really fall back on the analysis, however what they may be talking about is the fact that your essay may be too descriptive rather than looking at the relevance of using your knowledge it in your arguments. You may want to add strengths/ weaknesses to do this.

If you are really unsure, I highly commend that you try and contact your teacher at school or email. I hope this helps.
No hahaha. I think I want to be a diplomat or Civil Servant. Something about it just seems so cool.
Original post by zazaeliza
No hahaha. I think I want to be a diplomat or Civil Servant. Something about it just seems so cool.

Thats what they all say, how do we know you wont become a dictator or corrupt politician who funnels civilian money into his/her own pockets.

Nah I'm just trolling
BAHAHAHAHA GET BACK UNDER THE BRIDGE

(joking)
Firstly, it's important to understand what is meant by analysis. In political essays, analysis refers to the process of breaking down complex ideas and concepts into smaller parts, examining them in detail, and drawing out their implications. In other words, it's not enough to simply state your point of view or provide evidence to support it you need to explain why your argument is valid and what it means in the context of the wider debate.

Here are some tips on how to improve your analysis:

Focus on the question: Before you start writing, make sure you have a clear understanding of what the question is asking you to do. Take some time to identify the key terms and concepts, and think about how you can use them to structure your analysis.

Use a logical structure: A well-structured essay will help you to present your ideas in a clear and concise way. Make sure you have a clear introduction, body, and conclusion, and use topic sentences and transitional phrases to guide your reader through your argument.

Use evidence to support your points: Evidence is an important part of any political essay, but it's not enough to simply list examples you need to explain how they support your argument. Use quotes, statistics, and case studies to illustrate your points, and make sure you analyze them in detail.

Consider alternative viewpoints: To demonstrate a strong analysis, it's important to consider alternative viewpoints and explain why they are not as persuasive as your own argument. This will show that you have a deep understanding of the issue at hand, and will strengthen your overall argument.

Draw conclusions: Finally, make sure you draw clear conclusions from your analysis. Explain what your argument means in the context of the wider debate, and why it is important. This will demonstrate that you have a strong understanding of the topic, and will help to bring your essay to a satisfying conclusion.

KEYS
Identify the underlying assumptions: When analyzing complex ideas or arguments, it's important to identify the underlying assumptions and beliefs that are driving them. This can help you to unpack the argument and understand why certain claims are being made.

Use relevant theory: Political science is a discipline that is based on theoretical frameworks, such as liberalism, realism, or feminism. When writing political essays, it can be helpful to draw on these theoretical perspectives to provide a deeper analysis of the issues at hand.

Use examples and case studies: Examples and case studies can help you to illustrate your argument and provide concrete evidence to support your analysis. They can also help you to draw connections between different concepts and ideas.

Use empirical evidence: Empirical evidence refers to data or observations that are based on real-world phenomena. Using empirical evidence in your analysis can help to ground your argument in reality and make it more convincing.

Pay attention to context: When analyzing political issues, it's important to consider the broader historical, social, and cultural context in which they are situated. This can help you to understand why certain arguments are being made and what the implications of those arguments might be.

Remember, developing your analysis skills takes time and practice, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't come naturally at first. Keep working at it, and try to get feedback from your teacher or a tutor to help you identify areas for improvement. Good luck!
Reply 6
In these types of essays i usually do
Point 1 for or against so chose the point u think is strongest, give evidence of how its maybe seen in real life and then explain why its your strongest
p2 which is something on the other side of the first point you’ve chosen so if you’re arguing yes or for in p1 do agaisnt in p2 and then a mini conclusion about why one is stronger than the other
Eg if the question is ‘Evaluate the various ways rights are protected’ I did
P1 well protected due to HRA and ECHR because of how u can use UK or the judges in Strausburg and then evidence i used case study of Abu Qatada saying they protected his right to of freedom of torture and right to a fair trial
P2 not well protected due to tories trying to get rid of ECHR and make british bill of rights - not well protected because of selfish and biased values of tories or MPs -
Evaluation = not effective at protecting rights due to the overhaul of echr who were our main protection of rights if not getting help here and we can’t guarantee the same protection of rights in a British bill of rights
Then do the same in point 3 and 4, 5 and 6 In the conclusion mal e reference to the points you chose, say your answer again and then explain why your strongest points were the strongest and weakest were the weakest.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Quyoon42
Firstly, it's important to understand what is meant by analysis. In political essays, analysis refers to the process of breaking down complex ideas and concepts into smaller parts, examining them in detail, and drawing out their implications. In other words, it's not enough to simply state your point of view or provide evidence to support it you need to explain why your argument is valid and what it means in the context of the wider debate.

Here are some tips on how to improve your analysis:

Focus on the question: Before you start writing, make sure you have a clear understanding of what the question is asking you to do. Take some time to identify the key terms and concepts, and think about how you can use them to structure your analysis.

Use a logical structure: A well-structured essay will help you to present your ideas in a clear and concise way. Make sure you have a clear introduction, body, and conclusion, and use topic sentences and transitional phrases to guide your reader through your argument.

Use evidence to support your points: Evidence is an important part of any political essay, but it's not enough to simply list examples you need to explain how they support your argument. Use quotes, statistics, and case studies to illustrate your points, and make sure you analyze them in detail.

Consider alternative viewpoints: To demonstrate a strong analysis, it's important to consider alternative viewpoints and explain why they are not as persuasive as your own argument. This will show that you have a deep understanding of the issue at hand, and will strengthen your overall argument.

Draw conclusions: Finally, make sure you draw clear conclusions from your analysis. Explain what your argument means in the context of the wider debate, and why it is important. This will demonstrate that you have a strong understanding of the topic, and will help to bring your essay to a satisfying conclusion.

KEYS
Identify the underlying assumptions: When analyzing complex ideas or arguments, it's important to identify the underlying assumptions and beliefs that are driving them. This can help you to unpack the argument and understand why certain claims are being made.

Use relevant theory: Political science is a discipline that is based on theoretical frameworks, such as liberalism, realism, or feminism. When writing political essays, it can be helpful to draw on these theoretical perspectives to provide a deeper analysis of the issues at hand.

Use examples and case studies: Examples and case studies can help you to illustrate your argument and provide concrete evidence to support your analysis. They can also help you to draw connections between different concepts and ideas.

Use empirical evidence: Empirical evidence refers to data or observations that are based on real-world phenomena. Using empirical evidence in your analysis can help to ground your argument in reality and make it more convincing.

Pay attention to context: When analyzing political issues, it's important to consider the broader historical, social, and cultural context in which they are situated. This can help you to understand why certain arguments are being made and what the implications of those arguments might be.

Remember, developing your analysis skills takes time and practice, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't come naturally at first. Keep working at it, and try to get feedback from your teacher or a tutor to help you identify areas for improvement. Good luck!

Thank you sooo much, I understand where I’m lacking. Wrote an essay using this advice and got 22/30, I think if I keep practicing I’ll get better. Thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by georgie :3
In these types of essays i usually do
Point 1 for or against so chose the point u think is strongest, give evidence of how its maybe seen in real life and then explain why its your strongest
p2 which is something on the other side of the first point you’ve chosen so if you’re arguing yes or for in p1 do agaisnt in p2 and then a mini conclusion about why one is stronger than the other
Eg if the question is ‘Evaluate the various ways rights are protected’ I did
P1 well protected due to HRA and ECHR because of how u can use UK or the judges in Strausburg and then evidence i used case study of Abu Qatada saying they protected his right to of freedom of torture and right to a fair trial
P2 not well protected due to tories trying to get rid of ECHR and make british bill of rights - not well protected because of selfish and biased values of tories or MPs -
Evaluation = not effective at protecting rights due to the overhaul of echr who were our main protection of rights if not getting help here and we can’t guarantee the same protection of rights in a British bill of rights
Then do the same in point 3 and 4, 5 and 6 In the conclusion mal e reference to the points you chose, say your answer again and then explain why your strongest points were the strongest and weakest were the weakest.

Thank you! Could I ask tho how do you do your introductions without giving all your main points away?
Reply 9
Original post by otherhalf06
Thank you! Could I ask tho how do you do your introductions without giving all your main points away?

For me i found that i always start with my overall argument so i begin ‘in this essay it will be argued that…’ It already gives you A03 and examiners already know which side you’re going to argue and helps with flow. Then it depends on the question, if theres key terminology I try and define it but not too descriptively. It’s useful to at leach touch on the points so you can say ‘this will be argued/ or supported by point 1 point 2 and point 3 however others argue point 1/2/3. It’s always helpful as well if you can include a current example that doesn't have to be mentioned in your points but just conveys that you really know what you're talking about. Then i finish like how i start ‘for the reasons stated above it will argue that…’
Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending