The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

gaga_kid
Anybody at these uni's...good, bad.. nice place to live? bad place to live? etc. etc.

any advice would be great!

portsmouth is nice..coventry is a hole! not sure about the uni's thou
Reply 2
gaga_kid
Anybody at these uni's...good, bad.. nice place to live? bad place to live? etc. etc.

any advice would be great!

Dunno much about Coventry uni, but the place is just several huge lumps of concrete dumped in the middle of a ring road. Portsmouth is nicer I think, and its uni has a better reputation.
Reply 3
any one else?!?!?!
all i can tell you is that i really liked the open day at portsmouth-it seemed like a really nice place. what have you applied to do?
Reply 5
film studies & creative arts
Reply 6
gaga_kid
any one else?!?!?!

To the best of my knowledge Coventry University is a converted poly. It was going to be called -

Coventry
University (of)
New
Technology

until someone worked out what the nickname was going to be :biggrin:.

By all accounts it is one of the more vocational universities and the town / city is a dump.

The words "touch, wouldnt" and "barge pole" spring to mind.
gaga_kid
film studies & creative arts

you doing that this september or next? ive deferred my entry but am hoping to do english and creative arts
Reply 8
September 2004...

What career do you want to go into...

I got a leaflet about the course esp. the content of creative art.. and it said 'dance, song' being involved... can u sing and dance? cos i cant!!

i was originally down for video production before they changed me over!!
Reply 9
gaga_kid
September 2004...

I got a leaflet about the course esp. the content of creative art.. and it said 'dance, song' being involved... can u sing and dance? cos i cant!!

This is not a dig so please dont take it that way but...

What exactly do you intend to do once you have completed the course?
Reply 10
get into production... tv/theatre/film

i've already secured an internship @ a production company at somepoint in the near future and ive been asked back aswell by the other production company i did work experience with... hopefully the start of my CV.. learn loads of different aspects of media with this course.. and build my way up... i have loads of effort, commitment and i aint gona stop till i reach my goal!
gaga_kid
September 2004...

it didnt say dance on my leaflet coz i can't!! i used to sing but dont anymore. they said if you did the course you got free voice coaching which id do. im deferring for a year so 2005.
Reply 12
well the thing is... i was originally down for video production.. but they changed me to that cos of my love for drama..they never asked if i did singing or dancing... i mean i wish i could and i love musical theatre. just you can either sing/dance or u cant... and i cant!!

training would be good... but hey... i think ill email them!
I'm living in S@hampton at the moment. I've been to P@mouth, it sucks compared to Scumhampton. Dont know Coventry, played rugby there once thats about it.
Reply 14
anymore views would be appreciated!!
Reply 15
I'm currently in my first year at Portsmouth Uni and I'm really enjoying it! Umm, if you have any specific questions ask away! :biggrin: I don't know anything about the course or department for what you want to study though I'm afraid.
ive got mates at both...and both love it.

go visit both and find out which is more you.

love Katy ***
Reply 17
all polytechnics offer the same low standard education
Reply 18
*hellie*
I'm currently in my first year at Portsmouth Uni and I'm really enjoying it! Umm, if you have any specific questions ask away! :biggrin: I don't know anything about the course or department for what you want to study though I'm afraid.

Het what are u studying at Portsmouth cos its one of my choices for this sep. I'm looking to do marketing.
Also, whats the union like and the area?
Good bars, pubs and clubs?
Violent area?
Reply 19
marina183
Het what are u studying at Portsmouth cos its one of my choices for this sep. I'm looking to do marketing.
Also, whats the union like and the area?
Good bars, pubs and clubs?
Violent area?

I'm studying Sociology and Business, Marketing was actually one of my units this semester though! As you probably know from next month the new Business school is opening, I've not been inside it yet though.

The union is pretty good, although once you get to know the area a bit better you discover that other places have cheaper drinks and better music on certain nights! There is a good variety of pubs and clubs for the majority of music tastes. Sadly the union doesn't seem to get any bands on itself but there are a couple of decent venues where bands play within the city.

I haven't come across any violence personally, the main "rough" areas seem to be on the outskirts of the city but the area where I'm living gets a bit hectic when the football is on! Obviously there is bound to be some violence in the city but the main areas where the students live generally aren't too bad. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending