The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
boygenious
all polytechnics offer the same low standard education

I don't think that is fair at all. Yes there some awful ex polys out there Greenwich, TVU, East London, Paisley etc. But there also some good ones Shefield Harlem, Manchester Met, Oxford Brookes, all these instutions are respected.

The only two places from what I have heared that I would consider low standard is Chester college and Bolton Insitute. However these places are not even proper universities.

I'm not at an ex ploy by the way.
Reply 21
*hellie*
I'm studying Sociology and Business, Marketing was actually one of my units this semester though! As you probably know from next month the new Business school is opening, I've not been inside it yet though.

The union is pretty good, although once you get to know the area a bit better you discover that other places have cheaper drinks and better music on certain nights! There is a good variety of pubs and clubs for the majority of music tastes. Sadly the union doesn't seem to get any bands on itself but there are a couple of decent venues where bands play within the city.

I haven't come across any violence personally, the main "rough" areas seem to be on the outskirts of the city but the area where I'm living gets a bit hectic when the football is on! Obviously there is bound to be some violence in the city but the main areas where the students live generally aren't too bad. :smile:

Nice 1. Thankyou. :wink:
Reply 22
amazingtrade
I don't think that is fair at all. Yes there some awful ex polys out there Greenwich, TVU, East London, Paisley etc. But there also some good ones Shefield Harlem, Manchester Met, Oxford Brookes, all these instutions are respected.
Sheffield Harlem - lol! :biggrin:
Reply 23
llama boy

I know its not Oxbridge standard but you can still get a good education from these places. The idiots they let it will drop out and will not graduate. For those that want to can still get a good education. That was the point I'm trying to make.
Reply 24
amazingtrade

The only two places from what I have heared that I would consider low standard is Chester college and Bolton Insitute. However these places are not even proper universities.

I'm not at an ex ploy by the way.

you sure sound like it, what with all those typos
llama boy

lmao
Reply 26
amazingtrade
I know its not Oxbridge standard but you can still get a good education from these places. The idiots they let it will drop out and will not graduate. For those that want to can still get a good education. That was the point I'm trying to make.

I think that point that they were trying to make is that is should have been Sheffield Hallam, not Harlem :smile:

I agree with you though... some of the ex-polys do have very high quality teaching, they just don't have the reputation of some of the older Unis. To assume that going to an ex-poly means that you'll get a bad education just amounts to snobbery. Then again, you get used to that on this forum. :rolleyes:
I live near Pompey and loads of my friends go there and my sister lives opposite the studen housing (and beach) great place to live, loads of shops....4 different areas at least, loads of nice Indian supermarkets with all the real spices and stuff, brilliant pubs for example Havana, Ismbard Brunel.
The Wedge, Guildhall, Pyramids for gigs, usually really good bands...Darkness are playing there next week. Lots of friendly people, loads of skaters at the guildhall steps.....loads of trendies around, worst McDonalds in Hants though...a funfair...I mean come on....a friggin funfair doesn't that just win hands down?!
A couple of words of advice, avoid Summerstown, avoid Fratton at night (football thugs) and don't walk across Southsea green at night. Loads of good clubs there like Route 66, all drinks are 66p!
Reply 29
I was in Portsmouth the other night and it seems like a really nice city. Although I can only really speak for the Southsea district as that is where I visited.

The pubs all seem quite nice and in my time there (until about 2am), I didn't see any fights / troublemakers etc and felt completely safe walking down the street.

The parkland area near the seafront is also very nice. I haven't seen another city quite like it (although I haven't been to many cities lol).

So although I was only there for about 12 hours, I left with a very good impression and would like to go back at some point.

PS...the WedgeWood Rooms is wicked if you like to watch some of the latest up-coming live bands!
Reply 30
Frances
I think that point that they were trying to make is that is should have been Sheffield Hallam, not Harlem :smile:
Yes, quite.
Reply 31
Portsmouth's great! There's a lot of stuff to do and I'm sure its never possible to be more than 5 minutes away from a shop at any point! Gunwharf Quay is particularly good! The social life's great for students.

Avoid: Somerstown (the trolley estate), Paulsgrove, Buckland and Leigh Park.

Personally I can't wait to get out of here, but only because I've spent my entire life here! :biggrin:
Reply 32
Portsmouth is great! Lots of shops (seriously a major reason I came here) and there are loads of things to do aside from clubs and things. and the seaside is so nice, and I leave near a cute little mini "zoo" in the nearby park with rabbits and peacocks and guinea pigs... so cute.

Its generally really nice round here :smile:
Reply 33
Danithestudent
I live near Pompey and loads of my friends go there and my sister lives opposite the studen housing (and beach) great place to live, loads of shops....4 different areas at least, loads of nice Indian supermarkets with all the real spices and stuff, brilliant pubs for example Havana, Ismbard Brunel.
The Wedge, Guildhall, Pyramids for gigs, usually really good bands...Darkness are playing there next week. Lots of friendly people, loads of skaters at the guildhall steps.....loads of trendies around, worst McDonalds in Hants though...a funfair...I mean come on....a friggin funfair doesn't that just win hands down?!

The skaters of portsmouth are usually quite annoying, well the ones on te guildhall steps anyway, they're such a bunch of wannabes! Although the funfair is fun I'd avoid the 'rusty rides'.
Reply 34
ooh I almost forgot to add, you get a fantastic view of portsmouth from Portsdown hill :smile:
Pegasus
ooh I almost forgot to add, you get a fantastic view of portsmouth from Portsdown hill :smile:

Hey Pegasus, where do u live. As for Leigh Park ...do you know why West Leigh is East of Leigh Park, I never got that...
Reply 36
I live in southsea and to be honest I don't really know much about leigh park.. apart from to avoid it !
Reply 37
Pegasus
I live in southsea and to be honest I don't really know much about leigh park.. apart from to avoid it !

I like Southsea - tis a nice area.
Reply 38
ooh, I learnt something new about portsmouth today! Did you know that Paulsgrove is the largest council estate in Europe, finally something we can be really proud of (!)
Reply 39
Pegasus
Portsmouth's great! There's a lot of stuff to do and I'm sure its never possible to be more than 5 minutes away from a shop at any point! Gunwharf Quay is particularly good! The social life's great for students.
Gunwharf is good for cinema, bowling (although the one in central-shopping Portsmouth is cheaper) and seems to have some nice (but expensive-looking) bars and restaurants. The shops aren't the most exciting but you might find a few to have a look in.

Main shopping place has a large variety of shops, including a number of useful cheap-tack ones.

I'm pretty sure the Uni is quite central to the city- certainly my Mum did an art course a few years ago and that section was only 5ish minutes walk from the shops/station etc.

Some of the buildings around Portmouth are pretty ugly- built quickly after the war, and they still haven't destroyed the tricorn centre (I think they should either get on with it- or turn it into a huge laser quest or similar), but I'm sure there are 'nicer' areas aswell.

I'm sure there's also plenty to do at night, and the station will allow easy access to other towns and cities.

As for the university itself, I don't know too much about it. Though it's supposed to be very good for languages.

Latest

Trending

Trending