The Student Room Group

Anyone Need Hair Help????

Scroll to see replies

Hello! Okay i have no idea where to start, i went to a salon yesterday & asked for a darker blonde. I’m sure my hair was a level 10 & i wanted her to put it to a level 8 so it wouldn’t be to dark to what I’m used to anyway this hairdresser has put this colour onto my hair & when it was time to wash off it had turned a really dark brown level 6 but was also kakhi green in colour, from what i can gather she’s put an ash brown onto my hair. she then put three colours over the top of this which didn’t lift off the green tinge she then sent me on my way & told me she wasn’t in until next week I’m supposed to be going away this weekend & it looks awful. I keep washing it & the colour has faded a little but not much & also has the green tinge. I know you need a red toner to counteract the green but i still want it blonde. Is it possible to be able to get a colour with is blonde but also had red pigments. I can’t afford anothrr hair dresser because she charged me for this mistake & like an idiot i payed her! Also I’ve been coming to this salon for years & have the same stylist so i would have thought she knows my colour history etc. Anyway i hope you can help me!
Original post by ScottCornwall
Hi Everyone,

As you know I give hair advice and try as best as I can to come on here and answer your questions. However, quite often I miss many of your questions because five get posted at once and I only see the first and last!

I'm trying to build a hair resouce on my website which will hold a wealth of information which people can just go onto and receive the answer they want.
Therefore (if you wouldn't mind helping me) I wondered if you could put your hair questions to me in this thread and I will a) answer them and b) use them on my site so you have access to them in the future.

The categories I'd really like questions on are:-

Style (cuts, home styling, perming, straightening etc)
Colour (all issues colour related)
Mens (Guys please send me anything grooming related and I'll help)

And anything else you can think of!

Again - sorry if I miss any of your questions - but hopefully if we can try and contain them within one thread I will have more chance finding them again.

Also - remember to join me on Facebook at 'Scott Cornwall Hair Expert' and on Twitter as I post updates and links to hair regularly on here too!

Kind Regards

Scott

Hey so I'm a natural light blonde and I am really struggling with my hair, it is really thin, not very shiny and I feel like it not really growing anymore. Is there anyway i can help any of these I would love to grow my hair out really long as it is at about mid boob length but I would love it longer, I coconut oil my hair once a week and eat fairly well plus I drink a lot of water, where am I going wrong? Please help me!!
Hi, I want my hair to be slicked back but all my friends say that it's very greasy, I just want to know how it can become less greasy? I use shockwaves extra strong tuff stuff.
Search for online hair consultation and get advice from them.
What products to use to have volumized hair, where the hair bounces up from the roots?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was fashion illiterate but I am slightly better now, although by not much.

I'm mainly asking for advice about how to style my hair, but any advice about fashion will be fully welcomed. My reasoning to style is not about conforming to society, but because I think I could genuinely look a lot more attractive. I've never really had the confidence to try something new, but I want to overcome that.

I'm probably not going to post a picture :-P (sorry TSRians), so I understand that people can't really give detailed advice. But how would you start off? I know what's attractive when I see it, but I have no idea on what looks good on me, or how to replicate (learn how to do and then adapt) it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have had hair problem. My hair is fall down rapidly. What to do?
Original post by Afghan Warrior
What products to use to have volumized hair, where the hair bounces up from the roots?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Having the same issue.
Reply 368
Original post by Jadealouise989
Hello! Okay i have no idea where to start, i went to a salon yesterday & asked for a darker blonde. I’m sure my hair was a level 10 & i wanted her to put it to a level 8 so it wouldn’t be to dark to what I’m used to anyway this hairdresser has put this colour onto my hair & when it was time to wash off it had turned a really dark brown level 6 but was also kakhi green in colour, from what i can gather she’s put an ash brown onto my hair. she then put three colours over the top of this which didn’t lift off the green tinge she then sent me on my way & told me she wasn’t in until next week I’m supposed to be going away this weekend & it looks awful. I keep washing it & the colour has faded a little but not much & also has the green tinge. I know you need a red toner to counteract the green but i still want it blonde. Is it possible to be able to get a colour with is blonde but also had red pigments. I can’t afford anothrr hair dresser because she charged me for this mistake & like an idiot i payed her! Also I’ve been coming to this salon for years & have the same stylist so i would have thought she knows my colour history etc. Anyway i hope you can help me!

Firstly, you need to tell her about the mistake she made - its NOT ON! And you should be refunded for it!
Secondly, I think you should re-dye your blonde using Garnier's Olia and then highlight your hair at home using something like Smart Beauty's "Intense Red Hair Highlights" or Loreal's "Perfect Blonde Creme Highlighting Kit".

I hope this helps! Good luck and let me know how it goes, please! :smile:
Reply 369
Original post by chlolo29
Hey so I'm a natural light blonde and I am really struggling with my hair, it is really thin, not very shiny and I feel like it not really growing anymore. Is there anyway i can help any of these I would love to grow my hair out really long as it is at about mid boob length but I would love it longer, I coconut oil my hair once a week and eat fairly well plus I drink a lot of water, where am I going wrong? Please help me!!

Original post by RacerBoy
I have had hair problem. My hair is fall down rapidly. What to do?

Original post by RacerBoy
Having the same issue.

Oooh hmm - the main culprits are:

1) Stress - when you stress, your body "borrows" nutrients from other places, especially your hair; thus, you hair gets weaker and tend to lose more of it.

WHAT TO DO - Try to relax once in a while.

2) Weather - sun, strong winds, rain can dry out your hair.
WHAT TO DO - Deep condition it regularly. Leave the conditioner in your hair for about 15 mins and then wash it out using warm water (NOT hot - heat damages).

Also, wear a hat if its really sunny or its raining heavily.

3) Heat - heat dries out hair (think of it like a plant - too much heat and not enough water and your plant will start dying).

WHAT TO DO - don't use heat on your hair as often as you currently do; there are plenty of ways to curl or straighten your hair without any heat (youtube it!).
Also, don't blow dry your hair - use an electric fan instead or air dry it.
Alternatively, you can use a heat protector serum - they reduce heat related damage (I also tend to put it on really sunny days as well).

4) Friction from towel drying hair - rubbing the hair with the towel creates friction which splits the ends.

WHAT TO DO - Squeeze or pat it dry, rather than rubbing it. Or, use a 100% cotton Tshirt - less friction created.
Also, don't brush your wet hair but if you really need to, use a de-tangling brush or just don't brush it too much.

5) One of your hair products does not suit your hair and therefore, its weakening your hair.

WHAT TO DO - Reduce hair products used and try changing your shampoo and conditioner.

Listed above, are the most common hair care mistakes, which ultimately result to split ends. So, simple tips:

- Leave the oil in your hair over night before washing your hair the next day (although, I recommend Almond Oil or hair mask made of 2:1 tbsp of Olive Oil and an oil of your choice).
NB: Frequent use of oil on hair can naturally darken your hair colour - so either use it less frequently (once a week) or shorter period (at least 40 minutes prior to washing hair).

- Get a trim every month (or every 6 weeks if you're on student budget) or cut the split ends off yourself.

I hope this helps! Good luck and let me know how it goes! - Message me if I've confused you or you need more advice :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 370
Original post by XcitingStuart
I was fashion illiterate but I am slightly better now, although by not much.

I'm mainly asking for advice about how to style my hair, but any advice about fashion will be fully welcomed. My reasoning to style is not about conforming to society, but because I think I could genuinely look a lot more attractive. I've never really had the confidence to try something new, but I want to overcome that.

I'm probably not going to post a picture :-P (sorry TSRians), so I understand that people can't really give detailed advice. But how would you start off? I know what's attractive when I see it, but I have no idea on what looks good on me, or how to replicate (learn how to do and then adapt) it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Method 1 - (might sound weird but it works) I take a picture of it (with the person's permission - normally they feel flattered)/ download the picture of it and edit onto myself to see how it would look. If I'm really confused, I ask my hairdresser or my friends.

Method 2 - Imagine it on yourself

Method 3 - Take the chance - if it works, it works. If not, cut it again :smile:

I hope this helps! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 371
Original post by mboyd921
Hi, I want my hair to be slicked back but all my friends say that it's very greasy, I just want to know how it can become less greasy? I use shockwaves extra strong tuff stuff.

You might be over gel-ing your hair? I suggest you reduce the amount you use in one go.
Alternatively, use a different hair gel? My brother and I use L'oreal's "Studio Line Indestructible Gel" and Lynx's "Apollo Extreme Hold Cream Gel"..

I hope this helps! Good luck :smile:

[h="2"][h="2"]
Reply 372
Original post by Afghan Warrior

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, it depends on how much time you have and how long you want it to stay like that.

If you've got time - prepare your hair using volumizing shampoo and conditioner (ie. the L'oreal's one, John Freida's one or Aussie's one ) and then add volume to your hair using volumizing moose, holding it place using hair spray.

If you don't have time - tease and hair spray (although I don't recommend this - its bad for your hair's health but "desperate times, desperate measures", eh? ^.^)

I hope this helps! Good luck :smile:
Hi!

I really want to change my hair for summer or just style it differently and have no idea how to?! I have thin(ish) straight hair and it has zero volume, long(ish) as well. I have ginger hair, however the gingers faded slightly and it's more of a browny ginger now aha. I just wanna change it up a bit, but don't want anything too radical or expensive.

Also, have you got any prom hairstyle ideas?? Got mine in June and I've watched loads of YouTube videos and then tried them out myself and it failed miserably! I want to keep the look simple but glamorous, wondered if you could help aha??
Reply 374
Hi! I'm sorry if I'm asking a question that's already been answered. If so, then please direct me to the answer.

About a couple of years ago, I had lovely hair. Not flattering myself but I really liked my hair. It was one of the things that I was really confident about. Now, not so much.

For my 15th birthday, I went to a hair salon and cut it to a little past my shoulders. It was okay but then after a couple of months, my hair lost its shine. and when I say that, I mean its completely lost its shine. I cut it again for my 16th, (that was when I had a lot of dandruff and I still kind of do). Now I have hair up to my waist but its so frizzy. I can't go to weddings without worrying about my hair.

I'm currently using tresemme, my mum bought el'vive and pantene yesterday. I tried el'vive which made my hair more thick and frizzy.

Problem: way too frizzy and no shine or volume.

Sorry about the long sad story about my hair. Is there any hope haha? Please help! Thank you x
Reply 375
Hey there,
Thanks for creating this thread.

I want to experiment with my hair colour. Can you suggest me something ?

I'm going to PM you my pics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My hair has been falling out a lot recently! I'm only 15 so its a bit strange. I don't know if its stress from exams coming up, poor diet or lack of exercise or genetics but coukd someone please recommend some products to help with hair growth? Would be especially helpful if you've personally tried whatever it is so you 100% know it works!

thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 377
Original post by tibz101
My hair has been falling out a lot recently! I'm only 15 so its a bit strange. I don't know if its stress from exams coming up, poor diet or lack of exercise or genetics but coukd someone please recommend some products to help with hair growth? Would be especially helpful if you've personally tried whatever it is so you 100% know it works!

thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there! I noticed my hair had been falling out in clumps due to stress from exams. Someone recommended I drink water more often, so I always carried water with me everywhere, and drank as often as I could.

Within a few weeks, I noticed my hair started falling a lot less!

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 378
Hi! I am currently trying to grow my fringe out but it is taking so long and since I have short hair (coming on to just touching my shoulder) I don't know how to style them because I want to use less heat as possible so my hair can grow healthily. When I keep seeing pictures on tumblr of people with fringes it makes me want to cut it again! :frown: I am quite insecure about my forehead as well because I have a lot of spots but my friends said it's possibly because of my fringe. But oh well...

Is there any hairstyles that I can do to college that will keep my fringe back as it does get really annoying when I am taking exams (keep covering my eyes)?

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest