The Student Room Group

Oxford Maths Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

King of Fools
that's immensely helpful! thanks

so the admission test is primarly important i imagine?

btw what sort of questions do they ask you in the interviews? I've been hearing a lot of generic stuff like "Questions that test your logical analysis" but I was wondering if anyone can actually proffer an example of an interview question?

The admissions test is used primary as a deselector. So a less than average performance in it could mean that you don't get interviewed. In the interview stage it's used as just another piece of evidence. So your acceptance depends on your grades, personal statement, interview and exam.

The questions you'll get will be similar to those on the exam paper. Doing comp sci you'll have more logic problems i presume. My friend who was interviewed for comp sci had some question on tiling a floor and prooving something by induction.
jakash
I'm not doing Maths+CompSci, nor am I applying for it (maybe you shouldn't really listen to me then :P), but when I went to the open day, in the computer science talk, they gave an example of them explaining to you that if there were a tournament with 32 players, and that in each match the best player definitely wins all the time; we can be certain that the player who wins the tournament is the best. However, we cannot be certain that the other player who loses in the final is second best; and so how could be then modify the tournament to best find the 2nd player? And how could this be done?
He explained that you would more be given hints on starting and expected to get further into it as you went along, and they would gradually make this more and more complex, eventually redesigning the whole torunament to find a definite 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or N-th best player with as few games as possible.

One thing he emphasized was that they wanted to find out the way you thought, and if it would be right for the course.

I'll be applying for maths, but this kind of logic/programming really really appeals to me, but I'm in maths too far now to really turn back. I can imagine I'll be taking a lot of these kind of optional modules when I start though! And good luck!

Did I meet you? I was giving a demo on the 3rd floor to do with spatial cognition stuff. :smile:
Have you thought about Maths & Computer Science?

Oh and this might interest you... :smile: http://www.jstor.org/stable/2286471?cookieSet=1
Andy1080
The admissions test is used primary as a deselector. So a less than average performance in it could mean that you don't get interviewed. In the interview stage it's used as just another piece of evidence. So your acceptance depends on your grades, personal statement, interview and exam.

I'm an international student at hong kong, and they're coming here to interview us so i'm actually getting the interview before the admission test...

and about those admission tests, apparently you get marks for working out? from the specimens there didn't appear to be any sort of mark/point system..
King of Fools
I'm an international student at hong kong, and they're coming here to interview us so i'm actually getting the interview before the admission test...

and about those admission tests, apparently you get marks for working out? from the specimens there didn't appear to be any sort of mark/point system..

For the first lot of multiple choice questions, it is only the answer that you're marked on. For the rest of the paper you can pick up marks for clear progressive working.
i am applying for maths and comp sciences course and am currently preparing myself for the admission test i don't worry much about the interview if it is meant to be it will be :smile: hope i am the kind of person they are looking for :biggrin:

i think i got a bit insane around all those applications and exams stuff...
Reply 65
Woostarite
Did I meet you? I was giving a demo on the 3rd floor to do with spatial cognition stuff. :smile:
Have you thought about Maths & Computer Science?

Oh and this might interest you... :smile: http://www.jstor.org/stable/2286471?cookieSet=1

Wow, it's a small world! I think you did; did you recognize my name? You asked it to put in your demonstration :smile:

I have seriously considered maths and computer science, and yes computer science really appeals to me but (call me unadventurous :p:) I had never really looked into it further, I don't really know what its about, what it would be like to study etc. And like I said, I'm too much into maths now and I think deep down I would really enjoy maths the most. Although I wouldn't say never to something related to maths and computer science, hopefully I'll be applying for maths at Oxford this year.

Oh and thanks for the link, I'd have to spend a bit of time deciphering it though!

EDIT: After a bit of e-stalking :ninja:, yeah, I definitely recognise you!
jakash
Wow, it's a small world! I think you did; did you recognize my name? You asked it to put in your demonstration :smile:

I have seriously considered maths and computer science, and yes computer science really appeals to me but (call me unadventurous :p:) I had never really looked into it further, I don't really know what its about, what it would be like to study etc. And like I said, I'm too much into maths now and I think deep down I would really enjoy maths the most. Although I wouldn't say never to something related to maths and computer science, hopefully I'll be applying for maths at Oxford this year.

Oh and thanks for the link, I'd have to spend a bit of time deciphering it though!

EDIT: After a bit of e-stalking :ninja:, yeah, I definitely recognise you!

Haha, I'm fairly easy to "e"-stalk, given I put my website in my signature. :wink:
If Maths is more your thing, then go for it.
hey guys interviews up in a month and I am quite literally scared ********. teacher gave me a long list of some very scary interview questions ("can the bag ever be empty" - maths) and i was hoping you could tell me just how (un)conventional a mathematic and computer science interview might prove to be?

and any recommendation of books i should read outside of the syllabus?
apologies for swearing
Hello, I am a student who might apply for Mathematics next year for 2011 entry.. I just have a few questions for those who are currently studying Maths at Oxford..

1. How did you guys decide between Maths at Cambridge and Maths at Oxford?
My impression is that getting into Camb for Maths is way harder due to the Step papers as opposed to at the Oxford Entrance exam at Ox.. Also, do you think there are more 'quality' applicants at Camb than at Ox? Please correct me if I am wrong

2. For people who used Step to prepare for interviews,
I seem to be o.k. with Step 1 (please note the hesitancy in my saying o.k.), but struggling quite a lot with Step 2.. (I haven't done any preparation yet) Did you guys go though a similar experience? or did you just 'get it' instanteneously? But, if you did struggle at the beginning, how long did it approximately take you to become 'familiar' with the Step questions?

Sorry for the number of questions, but I will be really grateful to your answers..

From a confused soul..
Reply 70
Visit both unis, apply to the one you like, revise for the relevent test.
BISH BASH BOSH.
Reply 71
[QUOTE='DiRai[Zera]']My impression is that getting into Camb for Maths is way harder due to the Step papers as opposed to at the Oxford Entrance exam at Ox.. Also, do you think there are more 'quality' applicants at Camb than at Ox? Please correct me if I am wrong

This is a false impression. Both universities attract applicants of a similarly high standard. STEP II and III are harder than the MAT but that doesn't mean that the standard expected by Oxford is lower than that expected by Cambridge.
Reply 72
[QUOTE='DiRai[Zera]']

I chose Oxford because the aptitude test was earlier in the year and less predictable, therefore there isnt THAT much revision you can do for it. Whereas STEP is in June and after all the exams so at a bad time when everyone is partying, and also is heavily based on practice and tuition for it.

I reckon on average yes, the applicants are of a lower standard. But, the people who actually get in will be of the same standard.

I didn't do step sorry.

Best of luck, also... Oxford is a much better city if you like partying. And it's off a motorway so has better transport connections. But visit both and see which you prefer, for me, it was an easy choice due to the exam situation. Also, with STEP, Cambridge give 75%ish of math applicants offers, expecting most to fail... but I'd rather have been rejected by oxford than had an offer from Cambridge and not met it.

Well done for preparing so early, I'm sure you will succeed wherever with that attitude :smile:
Reply 73
Mathlete91
[QUOTE='DiRai[Zera]']

I chose Oxford because the aptitude test was earlier in the year and less predictable, therefore there isnt THAT much revision you can do for it. Whereas STEP is in June and after all the exams so at a bad time when everyone is partying, and also is heavily based on practice and tuition for it.

I reckon on average yes, the applicants are of a lower standard. But, the people who actually get in will be of the same standard.

I didn't do step sorry.

Best of luck, also... Oxford is a much better city if you like partying. And it's off a motorway so has better transport connections. But visit both and see which you prefer, for me, it was an easy choice due to the exam situation. Also, with STEP, Cambridge give 75%ish of math applicants offers, expecting most to fail... but I'd rather have been rejected by oxford than had an offer from Cambridge and not met it.

Well done for preparing so early, I'm sure you will succeed wherever with that attitude :smile:

It's about 35 to 40%.

I think its more likely that a very very good mathematician (well, an applicant) would apply to Cambridge rather than Oxford. But the average student would probably be similar.

Also, if you are starting STEP preperation now and finding it hard, dont worry, its more than a year till you have to take it.
Reply 74
I picked Oxford for the following reasons:
a) Oxford is a bigger city
b) Cambridge has always(falsely or not) seemed rather more intense than Oxford for maths, and Oxford already beats me down on a regular basis.
c) I hated the idea of getting a place then failing STEP
d) I was more likely to get in from interviews than an exam
e) It didn't really matter so I went with my gut

I didn't just 'get' STEP, STEP I was ok but STEP II was tough. Keep working at it, some people are better ta different things. 1 of the Magdalen Mathmos got a 3 in STEP I, another one got through to the last 5 of the Physics Olympiad.
JoMo1
I picked Oxford for the following reasons:
a) Oxford is a bigger city
b) Cambridge has always(falsely or not) seemed rather more intense than Oxford for maths, and Oxford already beats me down on a regular basis.
c) I hated the idea of getting a place then failing STEP
d) I was more likely to get in from interviews than an exam
e) It didn't really matter so I went with my gut

I didn't just 'get' STEP, STEP I was ok but STEP II was tough. Keep working at it, some people are better ta different things. 1 of the Magdalen Mathmos got a 3 in STEP I, another one got through to the last 5 of the Physics Olympiad.

Sums it up pretty much, although in my case I would add that at Oxford I had the chance to go for Maths and Statistics.
DeanK22
The period of lectures is different - lectures are termly at cambridge with 24 for each subject while lectures will last all year or one week at Oxford [both will have the odd 8-12 topic that gets covered].

Sorry, what? That's a load of rubbish!

Pretty much every maths course here (Oxford) is either 16 or 24 lectures long, and are almost always contained within one term. As you say, there is the odd 8-lecture course covered, but most of them happen in half a term and are replaced by a natural successor in the other half.

(heh, unless the week long courses that you're referring to are the introductory courses such as "Intro to Complex Numbers" run at the start of first year...)
DeanK22
I think you will find we have year long courses (i.e. the same topic is lectured in mich,hil,trin - for instance analysis while cambridge literally have termly courses (4 topics a term, 24 lectures) - so they do analysis for one term only [of course just talking about first year here]).

Yes the intro to pure maths and complex number courses are the courses that run for a couple of lectures - this was merely to contrast with the option offered at Cambrisge called 'numbers and sets' which once again lasts all term.

Why did you make such a misleading post in the first place?! You implied that highly-condensed, week-long courses and drawn-out, year-long courses are the norm at Oxford, which is the "load of rubbish" that I was referring to.

You have about three examples of week-long courses, all at the start start of first year featuring about 4 lectures each, and they aren't even examined. As for the "year long courses", there is one example which is divided up into largely different sections anyway.

Putting these rare examples aside, we don't have week-long lecture courses here. And we don't really have courses drawn out over a year either. So your "while lectures will last all year or one week at Oxford" claim is rubbish.

if you prefer longer courses and focused and prolonged coverage of specific topics per term Cambridge would be better [i.e. 4 topics per term compared to at least 6 a term here].

For the record, I never said otherwise.
Reply 78
Ok so I have a genuine interest in studying Maths at Oxford, and I would like to think I have a fair chance of receiving an offer, provided the interview and admissions test go alright. I've been to a general admissions open day, and been around the town and I really love it, and have registered and been confirmed for a Mathematics open day in May, and also intend to visit specific colleges in July, specifically a few that I've shortlisted (not any of the top ones, I'm perfectly happy going to a relatively average college).

I am at a top private school, which unfortunately does seem to be a disadvantage these days, but nonetheless I won't let it put me off. I got 9.5 A*s and 2 As in my GCSEs and an A in OCR FSMQ Additional Maths (there is no A* grade) and am currently studying for my IB diploma, obviously doing Maths and Physics at higher, and should be predicted somewhere between 42-45. I have a number of extra-curriculars and positions of authority but I don't really think Oxford care anymore. I don't mean to sound arrogant, I would really put my results down to my schooling, as I said my school is much above average.

My issue is that when it comes to the personal statement and interview, I honestly have no idea how I'm going to convey a passion for Maths. I do love Maths, it's my favourite subject and always has been, but everyone is going to say that, so I was hoping for some advice anyone can give me that will make me stand out alongside everyone else. I've done Maths challenges with the school, and I've read a number of Maths related books, so I suppose that can go in my personal statement, but that's pretty much it.

I should think that my ability at Maths would not hold me back - I've tried the entrance papers and haven't had much trouble and my head of Maths thinks I'm capable enough, so this is really the only issue.

I really need any edge I can get, because while you might think that my GCSEs and IB prediction are good, they aren't a great deal above average at the school I go to. Sorry for the long post, any advice anyone studying Maths at Oxford or anyone at Oxford can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I got an offer from Cambridge this year, and I agree personal statements for maths are hard. There isn't really a lot you can do other than maths challenges and maths books. Have you qualified for the BMO?
I tried to show how much I liked maths in what I said (eg. I love problem solving, I like a challenge, I enjoy thinking logically) because there isn't really a lot you can actually do. I put down that I read maths books, qualified for the BMO and liked logic puzzles; otherwise just made it clear that maths was what I really wanted to do.
I think my offer was mainly based on my ability rather than how much I had done beforehand. A Trinity college fellow even said at an open day that if they had to decide between two candidates they would always pick the better one, even if the other candidate showed more interest.
I would concentrate on doing well on the entrance tests and showing them how good you are at interview. It's harder to get an offer from Oxford than Cambridge, because Cambridge assume that a lot of people won't pass STEP (obviously once you have an Oxford offer you are practically in while my place at Cam is very much undecided), but good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending