The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
females yes, definately
Reply 21
If you're attracted to someone, what does it matter what race they belong to?
Reply 22
Xanthe

One might generally be more attracted to girls of a certain race
Reply 23
I suppose I'm attracted to females of all races. But I wouldn't date a woman simply on the basis of her race.

Having said that, I'm especially attracted to southern Asian women.
Reply 24
southern asian... what you mean by that???
Reply 25
What do you think I meant?!
Reply 26
TheVlad
I find girls of all races attractive, however I find that I am more likely to be attracted to white girls (I am talking about purely physical attraction, not taking into account personality and intelligence). I think that there is some statistical evidence that people tend to prefer partners of their own race.

Well, well I'm afraid this "statistical information" is wrong if I am anything to go by. In general people tend to go out with people of their own race but I think its mainly environmental/cultural. I have rarely found myself being attracted to white girls and I am white myself, so I don't think it has much to do with attraction, as the post refers to.

This really isn't an issue of racism as sexual attraction is an involuntary reaction that comes from our genetic make-up and hormones

I completely agree that it isn't an issue about racism as who you are attratced to is something you have little control over, but as far as implying that our genetic mae-up means we are mainly attracted to our own race, I really don't think that is the case, hence the increase in multi-cultural relationships in the Uk today.
Reply 27
Micheal134
Well, well I'm afraid this "statistical information" is wrong if I am anything to go by. In general people tend to go out with people of their own race but I think its mainly environmental/cultural. I have rarely found myself being attracted to white girls and I am white myself, so I don't think it has much to do with attraction, as the post refers to.

errr you are one example. Hardly disproves a statistical tendency.

I completely agree that it isn't an issue about racism as who you are attratced to is something you have little control over, but as far as implying that our genetic mae-up means we are mainly attracted to our own race, I really don't think that is the case, hence the increase in multi-cultural relationships in the Uk today.

yeah, there are more inter-cultural/racial relationships, but I believe there is still a disproportionate level of one-race ones. You don't suggest that our society is so racist that it causes that much dis-proportionality?
Reply 28
Micheal134

Exactly. It is more about the differnt kinds of influences you are exposed to I think. I also happen to live in London and I think it truly does have an affect on relationship patterns in terms of which races you date. Because we have such a diverse community, I think it becomes so much easier to be open-minded and really choose people in terms of who they are, not judge them by the preconceptions of their race. I find myself attratced to all kinds of races, as I really don't see the significane of skin colour on someone's appeal, let alone their appearance!

I mean, sorry to generalise, but why is it that black girls are rarely interestd in white guys and it is the opposite for black guys?

Its a shame, but this is true. I think it is mainly because black girls tend to be much more controlled by their families. Also, they tend to hld certain stereotypes about the kind of guys they "should" go for, and end up only going for these. Personally, I have the same problem as I am dating a white guy and am black myself. There is some aggro about this from my friends/family, but it slowly subsiding(thank god). I think they are starting to realise how ridiculous it is to have all these rules about who to date and how they shopuld look and act. Gradually all this becomes meaningless in a relationship anyway and the only thing that really matters then is the way you/your partner treats you and makes you feel.
Reply 29
Judging by looks alone (like if I saw a photo of someone and had no idea of their personality) I would find Japanese girls very attractive.
Reply 30
yeah, there are more inter-cultural/racial relationships, but I believe there is still a disproportionate level of one-race ones. You don't suggest that our society is so racist that it causes that much dis-proportionality?

The Vlad, I think you are missing the point. What I was trying to say was that, although this statistical evidence is correct, it mainly reflects the environmental/cultural factors that apply when people choose their partners. I know a lot of people who are attracted to people fom other races, but because of the differnces in their way of thinking, religious beliefs etc, they tend to prefer not to persue these feelings. We can see this in the way arabic/muslim people/girls in particular are very unlikely to date other races. Same goes for Indian/Asians who usually stick with their own two.
I think the disproportionate "one race" ones that you are talking about, which i will assume is black-white, mainly happens because black people, especially of Caribbean origin are ver immersed in British life and culture and therefore find it easier to understand and date whites. This may also be why Africans, as opposed to Afro-caribbeans tend to stay within their own rac, as they have a richer culture, sense of belonging. Having studied Sociology for four years, I am very aware of these trends, and that is my opinion.
Reply 31
Micheal134
The Vlad, I think you are missing the point. What I was trying to say was that, although this statistical evidence is correct, it mainly reflects the environmental/cultural factors that apply when people choose their partners. I know a lot of people who are attracted to people fom other races, but because of the differnces in their way of thinking, religious beliefs etc, they tend to prefer not to persue these feelings. We can see this in the way arabic/muslim people/girls in particular are very unlikely to date other races. Same goes for Indian/Asians who usually stick with their own two.
I think the disproportionate "one race" ones that you are talking about, which i will assume is black-white, mainly happens because black people, especially of Caribbean origin are ver immersed in British life and culture and therefore find it easier to understand and date whites. This may also be why Africans, as opposed to Afro-caribbeans tend to stay within their own rac, as they have a richer culture, sense of belonging. Having studied Sociology for four years, I am very aware of these trends, and that is my opinion.

No, I meant that most relationships are between two people of teh same race. I can see what you are saying though.
I'm mixed race (half white British and half black African) and I can honestly say I am not at all attracted to black guys. My parents are divorced and I live with my mum who is white. I have grown up in a "white" household, I suppose... I have no black friends, because I never really felt I fit in with them or their culture. My mum is like typical Cockney Eastender (no not the ones on "Eastenders"... the real thing :p:) and my dad is a devout Evangelical Christian, which I'm not into at all. Anyway, I guess that's why I have always fancied white boys. Skinny white boys. Emo boys in fact. But I have fancied Chinese guys like f*** too hehe :biggrin:
Xanthe

ponjavic
One might generally be more attracted to girls of a certain race

:ditto:

Just like what ponjavic said, also its just the same concept as being gay. If someone prefers their own gender, then they just do.
Yes, definately.

Am I crazy or is it as though every second thread here is to do with attractivness to other races?
There are some women in all races who are incredibly stunning. I would never want to say never.
Reply 36
Anyone who says race doesn't make a difference - you're talking ****.

Everyone and I mean EVERYONE is initally attracted to someone because of the way they look, that includes skin tone and facial structure (which differs for all races).
Reply 37
Pav27
Anyone who says race doesn't make a difference - you're talking ****.

Everyone and I mean EVERYONE is initally attracted to someone because of the way they look, that includes skin tone and facial structure (which differs for all races).

hehe!!! great comment lol precisely what i was thinking, initial attraction comes first then ofcourse you get to know the persons personality and all that blah blah!!, i think some ppl are just trying to be "politically correct"
Reply 38
dimexi wot is it EXACTLY abt "white girls" that ur attracted to?
(just curious)
Reply 39
indy_punk
dimexi wot is it EXACTLY abt "white girls" that ur attracted to?
(just curious)

lol good question, im not sure i know now.. but i guess i find them more "sexy" maybe is the word im looking for and they seem to have a lot less false fronts (i know everyone is different :wink: but this is just a generalisation)

Latest

Trending

Trending