The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 3 Geography Energy security

Does anyone have any good case studies for this? I can't find many.

So far, I have for :
Risks of disprution to supply - Gazprom winter 2006
Reasons for global demand increase - China net exporter to importer for oil

That's all I have :frown:. I need one for the role of TNCs in the energy trade and uncertenty of future supplies.

Anymore somebody could suggest would be equally good. I know *most* of the theory behind this topic now, but I'm stuck in level two usualy for lack of examples.
Reply 1
RollerBall
Does anyone have any good case studies for this? I can't find many.

So far, I have for :
Risks of disprution to supply - Gazprom winter 2006
Reasons for global demand increase - China net exporter to importer for oil

That's all I have :frown:. I need one for the role of TNCs in the energy trade and uncertenty of future supplies.

Anymore somebody could suggest would be equally good. I know *most* of the theory behind this topic now, but I'm stuck in level two usualy for lack of examples.

What about Canadian Tar Sands. Really good. Also new exploration under the Arctic.
Reply 2
Geogger
What about Canadian Tar Sands. Really good. Also new exploration under the Arctic.

Funny you should say that, today, I actually decided to do tar pits as my new sources of energy. It's got a good range of enviromental impacts and it becoming viable now with oil so expensive. Thanks for the hints of the arctic oil.

The one I'm having biggest trouble with is the future uncertenties. All I can think of is peak oil, and geopolitical tension and mentioning the middle east and conflicts of terrorism preventing exportation of oil, however, it's really general. It's not really a case study unless I can actually get a country but I can't find one where it's happened but I can't find one :frown:.

I also need to get a case study for renewable ideas like off shore wind farms but it's so annoying finding anything decent. It's a pain the specifications are so crap! Geography has become a real pain in the ass this year with a lack of past papers and no idea what I'm supposed to be learning >.>
Reply 3
There's quite a bit on Arctic exploration as this is alsopart of the 'futures' as there is uncertainty both about the political divisions and also the viability of extracting resources from such a hostile environment.
If you have a good textbook, there should be a fair amount in that. Don't forget you only really need to revise two (or 3 at a push) of the topics from Energy, Water, Superpowers, Development Gap and Technological Fix.
Reply 4
Geogger
There's quite a bit on Arctic exploration as this is alsopart of the 'futures' as there is uncertainty both about the political divisions and also the viability of extracting resources from such a hostile environment.
If you have a good textbook, there should be a fair amount in that. Don't forget you only really need to revise two (or 3 at a push) of the topics from Energy, Water, Superpowers, Development Gap and Technological Fix.

I know, I'm in the midst of deciding on my final topic now (With biodiversity for sec B and energy as sec A). I'm pretty much sorted on energy now thanks.

I'm using these for my case studies:

Demand : China and India
New sources : Canadian tar sands, USA oil shale and arctic oil
Geopolitics : Arctic (USA/Russia disputes), IPI (Iran and USA disputes), nucleor and middle east tension.
Risks of interruption : Gazprom in 2006, could do with another to show the actual effects on the economy, not just saying what they are...
Players : TNCs (BP), Gazprom, Goverments (Domestic supplies, north sea oil), China for massive demand growth, NGOs for lobbying goverments and enviorment, OPEC for, well, it's opec.
Future uncertenty : Peak oil, then I know about all the reasons for uncertenties such as switch to renewables, economic and population growth, geopolitcal tensions. But I have no idea what data they expect for these? After all, it's uncertain so there's no concrete figures >.<
Alternatives : Nucleor and biofuels. As well as off shore wind
Carrot and stick : Emission trading, green taxes, kyoto, CCS

I'm pretty sure now that I can answer almost any question thrown at me for energy. Any reccomendations for my final topic to learn? Thinking development gap or water but not sure... Definitely not superpowers :X
Reply 5
It depends what you enjoy... me I loved teaching the Sperpowers section but my students are mostly looking at Energy, Water and Development Gap. I do have 2 who are thinking of Superpowers. No-one wants to do Tech Fix and of course Biodiversity is the main (but not the only!) aspect of Section B
Geogger
It depends what you enjoy... me I loved teaching the Sperpowers section but my students are mostly looking at Energy, Water and Development Gap. I do have 2 who are thinking of Superpowers. No-one wants to do Tech Fix and of course Biodiversity is the main (but not the only!) aspect of Section B

I am thinking of doing energy and water and maybe tech fix and superpowers instead of energy. Do you have any useful information that will help me with superpowers?

Reply 7
I hate to say it but probably not - I really enjoy teaching it so it's a combination of my own materials, powerpoints and books mostly.

Latest

Trending

Trending