The Student Room Group

gcse geography as a private candidate/self teacher

hey! i'm self teaching my gcses (at home) n ik geography has a section of fieldwork - which i can't do,,, so i'm curious if i'd b able to answer those questions if i haven't done fieldwork at all- or should i jus skip it n miss marks?? i'm also doing my gcses this year (2023) so lollll i don't wanna lose marks
Original post by mzzz_k
hey! i'm self teaching my gcses (at home) n ik geography has a section of fieldwork - which i can't do,,, so i'm curious if i'd b able to answer those questions if i haven't done fieldwork at all- or should i jus skip it n miss marks?? i'm also doing my gcses this year (2023) so lollll i don't wanna lose marks

get in touch with a tutor just for this section perhaps or email your exam board for advice. theres plenty of revision resources online eg seneca learning, cgp but im not sure how much of the fieldwork is covered. i did geog gsce and im doing it again at a level but my gcses were cancelled due to covid so we never did fieldwork and i cant tell you what to do but definitely dont miss the questions out - usually its mainly the theory of the fieldwork i dont think youre expected to recall ur fieldwork site and exact data bc that defo varies from candidate to candidate and the exam board wont have all the sites in the answers. i would also do as many fieldwork related practice questions and really understand the mark schemes to see where the marks come from eg common phrases that get marks or sequence of answers
Reply 2
Original post by arch17
get in touch with a tutor just for this section perhaps or email your exam board for advice. theres plenty of revision resources online eg seneca learning, cgp but im not sure how much of the fieldwork is covered. i did geog gsce and im doing it again at a level but my gcses were cancelled due to covid so we never did fieldwork and i cant tell you what to do but definitely dont miss the questions out - usually its mainly the theory of the fieldwork i dont think youre expected to recall ur fieldwork site and exact data bc that defo varies from candidate to candidate and the exam board wont have all the sites in the answers. i would also do as many fieldwork related practice questions and really understand the mark schemes to see where the marks come from eg common phrases that get marks or sequence of answers

so do u do fieldwork for a-level geography?,, i do use seneca n cgp tbs n they don't rly cover fieldwork but i did find some examples online,,, but thank u sm <3
Original post by mzzz_k
so do u do fieldwork for a-level geography?,, i do use seneca n cgp tbs n they don't rly cover fieldwork but i did find some examples online,,, but thank u sm <3

yes i had do to some in y12 for the coasts topic in edexcel

if you have a tutor, ask about the fieldwork section for gcse and exam tips bc its the theory that actually matters not going on the trip
Reply 4
Original post by arch17
yes i had do to some in y12 for the coasts topic in edexcel

if you have a tutor, ask about the fieldwork section for gcse and exam tips bc its the theory that actually matters not going on the trip

heyy ik this is a month later buttt i don't have a tutor n the exams r pretty close,, do u have any examples for fieldwork?? or jus paper 3 in general??? thank uuu <3333
Original post by mzzz_k
heyy ik this is a month later buttt i don't have a tutor n the exams r pretty close,, do u have any examples for fieldwork?? or jus paper 3 in general??? thank uuu <3333

not for gcse bc mine was cancelled due to covid :frown:(( ill have a look online or youtube for you if theres any videos
Original post by mzzz_k

Hey, I’m homeschooled and I have taken geography. I honestly think that as long as you have a really good grasp on the case studies required you don’t really need to do much field work unless you think that’s going to secure your learning, good luck! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Lilygillard
Hey, I’m homeschooled and I have taken geography. I honestly think that as long as you have a really good grasp on the case studies required you don’t really need to do much field work unless you think that’s going to secure your learning, good luck! :smile:

heyyy if it's not tm to ask,, do u have any examples u can share? or techniques? can i jus write anythinggg n smhow make sense of it even tho i didn't complete fieldwork lol
Drop an email to Jake at Humanatees (look it up).
He might be able to advise on what you should do in terms of obtaining fieldwork experience, even if you're not one of his students. He's a pretty friendly chap, very helpful.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Lilygillard

I'm also homeschooling and planning to take geography which would you recommend geography a or b?
And should I just try answer the field work questions or is there a way we can submit before the exam?
Reply 10
Original post by Ayahdad
I'm also homeschooling and planning to take geography which would you recommend geography a or b?
And should I just try answer the field work questions or is there a way we can submit before the exam?
idk what geo a and b is? i acc jus waffled for the fieldwork qs (n the whole of geo basc) n i think i got a grade 7 which is pretty good if u ask me loooll. i don't think u cld submit anything b4 the exam as a homeskler but idk,, what board r u taking?? n i hope ur exams went good for u <3

Quick Reply

Latest