The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

matthew93
http://www.kingussiehigh.highland.sch.uk/ModernLanguages.htm
Go to this site and then scroll down to the higher bit.
Click on "Higher French Revision Vocabulary" and open the file. It'll ask you for a password to view it. Its hsf56.
Theres loads of great vocab there, hope this helps. :biggrin:

I posted this in a another thread a while back about sharing notes, but this is just incase you didn't see it :smile:

Happy revising :p:

Thanks so much this is really useful. Hopefully I cram it all in in two days :eek3: :eek3:

I hope that the directed writing is not too specific and there are no surprise bullet points!
Actually reading it just now I don't think it is possible to learn it all!
Reply 22
Haha i know there is so much to learn!

Remember last year everyone it was 48 / 58 / 68 to get a C / B / A respectively, so with a good speaking mark anything is possible :p:
Reply 23
If there is an essay on TV I will cry lol..I've never done anything on it..

I was just wondering if anyone had some vocab on twinned towns, I can't seem to find any and would like to look over it. If someone would post up a couple of sentences in case it came up in the directed writing again I would really appreciate it, thank you :smile:
Reply 24
I know it's come up a lot but I would just love an essay on future plans! Or holidays, especially holidays in the future, haha! Very keen on the future tense. :smile:
I think health is such a naff topic to write about! Although I did my speaking on it so at least that'll save some work :mute: And if it's about frenchies coming here then i'll be annoyed- you can't really learn anything from that because they'd be speaking english all the time and you wouldn't visit anywhere you've never been before!:eek3:
Good luck guys on Tuesday. I wish I could do the Higher again instead of Advanced Higher, I've done literally nothing for it. :p:

Don't worry too much about it though, and if there is a slight twist in the DW Short Essay you'll be able to make up a sentence or two to cover it. Theoretically I should also be able to help you with most questions you have as well.
jemrock
If there is an essay on TV I will cry lol..I've never done anything on it..

I was just wondering if anyone had some vocab on twinned towns, I can't seem to find any and would like to look over it. If someone would post up a couple of sentences in case it came up in the directed writing again I would really appreciate it, thank you :smile:

Je suis allée à (town) qui est notre ville jumelée.
eilidhx
I know it's come up a lot but I would just love an essay on future plans! Or holidays, especially holidays in the future, haha! Very keen on the future tense. :smile:

I love the future tense too. Maybe it's because I love tenses where the infinitive is the stem because it's so straightforward.
namedeprived
Good luck guys on Tuesday. I wish I could do the Higher again instead of Advanced Higher, I've done literally nothing for it. :p:

Don't worry too much about it though, and if there is a slight twist in the DW Short Essay you'll be able to make up a sentence or two to cover it. Theoretically I should also be able to help you with most questions you have as well.

I'm going to do AH French in 6th year and was just wondering if you enjoy it? Is it a big step up from higher? The 20 minute speaking test seems daunting :eek:
frostedcupcakes
I'm going to do AH French in 6th year and was just wondering if you enjoy it? Is it a big step up from higher? The 20 minute speaking test seems daunting :eek:

First of all, the speaking does seem daunting, but it really isn't anywhere near as bad as you might think. Get into a habit of thinking in French, or translating song lyrics into French in your head, might sound weird, but it helped me to become more comfortable at speaking the language.

The course is more interesting in terms of what you cover, and if you enjoyed French at Higher, and are pretty certain of an A, go for it. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, since we didn't really do all that much in class, but its a better course than Higher in any case, and you don't just regurgitate essays like you do at higher.

I found the step up quite noteable to be honest. The reading isn't that much harder, apart from the inferential question, which is basically a questino you'd get at the end of a H English close reading. I have found the Listeing a lot harder at AH for some reason, and I don't really know why because in reality its not that much harder, just more sophisticated sentence structure, not that much of a step up in terms of language. You don't have to do a DW, and in terms of the essays you now get a choice of five, but they're longer and on more sophisticated themes, but they're not too bad really, I fully intend to wing it on Tuesday. :p:
namedeprived
First of all, the speaking does seem daunting, but it really isn't anywhere near as bad as you might think. Get into a habit of thinking in French, or translating song lyrics into French in your head, might sound weird, but it helped me to become more comfortable at speaking the language.

The course is more interesting in terms of what you cover, and if you enjoyed French at Higher, and are pretty certain of an A, go for it. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, since we didn't really do all that much in class, but its a better course than Higher in any case, and you don't just regurgitate essays like you do at higher.

I found the step up quite noteable to be honest. The reading isn't that much harder, apart from the inferential question, which is basically a questino you'd get at the end of a H English close reading. I have found the Listeing a lot harder at AH for some reason, and I don't really know why because in reality its not that much harder, just more sophisticated sentence structure, not that much of a step up in terms of language. You don't have to do a DW, and in terms of the essays you now get a choice of five, but they're longer and on more sophisticated themes, but they're not too bad really, I fully intend to wing it on Tuesday. :p:

Thanks very much for your advice. I enjoy French and got an A for the prelim. I am looking forward to AH later this year :smile:

Good luck for Tuesday
:gthumb:
Reply 32
sorry to move off topic a bit, but what are the people here doing ADVANCED higher planning on revising? i've yet to start to tomorrow is going to have to be an intense cram sesh. thoughts?
Reply 33
can anyone tell me what a 'twin town' is? & if you think it will come up in the directed writing?

i was looking at the 2007 & 2008 directed writings - which for some reason i haven't done yet :s-smilie: - and they both mention twin towns..
has anyone got any vocab on this?
thanks!
anna0ox
can anyone tell me what a 'twin town' is? & if you think it will come up in the directed writing?

i was looking at the 2007 & 2008 directed writings - which for some reason i haven't done yet :s-smilie: - and they both mention twin towns..
thanks!

Someone mentioned it above, it's "une ville jumelée."

wawa1906
sorry to move off topic a bit, but what are the people here doing ADVANCED higher planning on revising? i've yet to start to tomorrow is going to have to be an intense cram sesh. thoughts?

I've barely started either. Will probably look over my limited supply of essays, and look at French news websites.
Reply 35
anna0ox

thanks!

it's translated literally as 'une ville jumelle'.

regardless of whether it comes up, it doesn't affect your essay too much.....je suis allé à (Marseille), notre ville jumelle, qui est une grande ville dans le sud de la France.

Done!
Reply 36
My teacher seems to think we may have a short essay question on computers this year, as two other languages have had them since 2004.
But I lost my vocab sheets for computer last week. Does anyone have any vocab, or a link, or something to help me please? I'm starting to properly stress.
Reply 37
Hey,
Could anyone tell me how to properly use the verb 's'entendre'?
It seems to come up all the time, but Im never sure if you add the 'e' to, say, 'je me suis tres bien entendu(e) avec' if only you're a girl of if you AND the person you got on well with are girls ... :s-smilie:
Hope that made sense :biggrin:
Really whatever the essays are on we should be fine though because even if it's something really obscure like women's role in the field of engineering we get a dictionary and we all know general phrases you can use for anything :smile:
Reply's will be muuuuuuuucccccchhhhhhhh appreciated... I do hate s'entendre :P
Reply 38
Polpettina
Hey,
Could anyone tell me how to properly use the verb 's'entendre'?
It seems to come up all the time, but Im never sure if you add the 'e' to, say, 'je me suis tres bien entendu(e) avec' if only you're a girl of if you AND the person you got on well with are girls ... :s-smilie:

You would say "je me suis entendue très bien avec.." as you are a girl, regardless who you get on well with, if you are talking about who you got on well with in the past. "je m'entends très bien" if your talking in the present.
Reply 39
rjgg10
You would say "je me suis entendue très bien avec.." as you are a girl, regardless who you get on well with, if you are talking about who you got on well with in the past. "je m'entends très bien" if your talking in the present.

Merci :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending