The Student Room Group

Modern language courses in Scotland

Hi,
I was just wondering about what the linguistic and or Modern language courses (especially French) in Scotland, I would love to go to either Glasgow or Edinburgh due to my family being close by. I would love to know what unis are good for these types of courses and what the gap year was like.

I’m also taking my mock choices for next year (S6) and this year I’m taking H English,French, Pe & Chemistry. What Higher and AHighers would you recommend taking for the uni course. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Hulia…
Hi,
I was just wondering about what the linguistic and or Modern language courses (especially French) in Scotland, I would love to go to either Glasgow or Edinburgh due to my family being close by. I would love to know what unis are good for these types of courses and what the gap year was like.

I’m also taking my mock choices for next year (S6) and this year I’m taking H English,French, Pe & Chemistry. What Higher and AHighers would you recommend taking for the uni course. Thank you :smile:

Hi @Hulia… 🙂 That's great you're considering studying languages! I studied Business with French at uni so can cast my mind back to give a bit of advice!

I'd absolutely recommend the AH French if you can. It's not always a requirement, but if you love the language and want to do it at uni then it makes sense to keep going with it in S6. I took my AH French and didn't do very well (my work ethic in s6 wasn't the best 🤦🏻*♀️) but I definitely benefitted from keeping the contact hours in S6. When I started at uni I didn't feel as overwhlemed as I might have done if I'd not studied French for a year. If you're not able to do the AH, keep in contact with the language in another way (tutoring younger years, watching shows, listening to music and reading in French).

If you're interested in another language and are able to do that at higher in S6 that could be beneficial too 🙂

I'd absolutely recommend doing a language at uni - it really developed my communication skills and my confidence and independence really flourished during my year abroad. I have coursemates who've travelled all over the world with their languages and we all work in a broad range of different industries now too.

Wishing you loads of luck with your highers this year and next!

Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hi @Hulia… 🙂 That's great you're considering studying languages! I studied Business with French at uni so can cast my mind back to give a bit of advice!

I'd absolutely recommend the AH French if you can. It's not always a requirement, but if you love the language and want to do it at uni then it makes sense to keep going with it in S6. I took my AH French and didn't do very well (my work ethic in s6 wasn't the best 🤦🏻*♀️) but I definitely benefitted from keeping the contact hours in S6. When I started at uni I didn't feel as overwhlemed as I might have done if I'd not studied French for a year. If you're not able to do the AH, keep in contact with the language in another way (tutoring younger years, watching shows, listening to music and reading in French).

If you're interested in another language and are able to do that at higher in S6 that could be beneficial too 🙂

I'd absolutely recommend doing a language at uni - it really developed my communication skills and my confidence and independence really flourished during my year abroad. I have coursemates who've travelled all over the world with their languages and we all work in a broad range of different industries now too.

Wishing you loads of luck with your highers this year and next!

Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Thank you so much 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending