The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Pixelated
Here we go, people can't form proper debates so they resort to highlighting mistakes (which if we're to be honest here, have nothing to do with the actual point I was trying to make). :congrats:

it was a genuine question/concern.

[rant] these idiots who cant debate...complaining about the opposition's 'tactics' :hmpf:[/rant]

:rolleyes:
Pixelated
Thankyou! At least someone understands the actual point I was trying to make.

:p: :biggrin:
Reply 42
Pixelated
This is my school: % of 15 year old pupils achieving 5 or more grades A*-C - 2004 51% - 51% is terrible! :eek:

that is just about the national average:yy:
visesh
it was a genuine question/concern.

[rant] these idiots who cant debate...complaining about the opposition's 'tactics' :hmpf:[/rant]

:rolleyes:
No, I didn't fail GCSE maths.
Reply 44
Pixelated
The point I was trying to make is that 75% is not especially good. And I'm not trying to patronise you; I was trying to put the situation into context. And the matter of the fact is, Oxbridge will check your grades against your school's pass rate. So, irrespective of other schools, in terms of Oxbridge (that is what we're discussing, isn't it?) that isn't especially a good pass rate, therefore she may well get added points.

Okay, right, let's go through this.

The point of the "added points for a school with a low pass rate" is to try and level out the playing field for someone who may have got lower grades due to going to an underperforming school.

So, Oxbridge will look at how well the school performed relative to others of its type - it would be stupid to give the person extra points just because the school did worse than the grammar school near it, as you'd expect a selective school to do better anyway.

This school is performing extremely well for schools of its type, so they'd be unlikely to add any points for that. They might add points for it being a maintained school; I don't know about that.

The whole point is to level the playing field, so it has to be done by looking at the *relative* performance of schools.
visesh
that is just about the national average:yy:
Whoa... Blimey; bit of a shock, to say the least! Seems unbelievable that only 100-ish achieved 5 A*-C grades at my school this year! :eek:
visesh
Glad to hear that. It's just more proof that GCSEs are 'getting easier'. Or something.
Thanks for that, makes me feel tonnes better considering the fact I'm already upset about my poor grades.
Reply 47
Pixelated
Whoa... Blimey; bit of a shock, to say the least! Seems unbelievable that only 100-ish achieved 5 A*-C grades at my school this year! :eek:

i know, it's really sad:frown:

but that also goes to show that 74% is pretty damned high...

(i apologise if i hit a nerve or something, wasn't my intention...:smile:)
visesh
Glad to hear that. It's just more proof that GCSEs are 'getting easier'. Or something.

aint that a bit harsh?
Reply 49
SketchyCanvas
aint that a bit harsh?

I agree. :frown:
Reply 50
Pixelated
Thanks for that, makes me feel tonnes better considering the fact I'm already upset about my poor grades.

*passes the razor blades and excessive amounts of amitriptyline*
visesh

i found out that my school is 925 in GCSEs at the League Table which is pretty good i think since its out of 3579.
visesh
i know, it's really sad:frown:

(i apologise if i hit a nerve or something, wasn't my intention...:smile:)
Yes, I take back what I've said now... I didn't realise that the average was only around 51 p.c! I'm very shocked by this! :eek: No need to appologise... I perhaps came across as a bit arrogant, and in true TSR style, there was someone there to nitpick/humilliate me over my mistake... You were just doing what was expected of you. :smile:
Reply 53
To be fair... A lot of people are pretty damn thick.

The truly sad part is that low as this figure is, it doesn't even have to include the core subjects, and it also counts GNVQs for equivalence with 4 GCSEs A*-C...
ok, question: (you may seen this in another thread btw but wanna know what you lot think)
I wanted to go to this grammar school which is 4th in League Table and the interview went great and they wanted 6 A's and then i'll be put through clearing. My GCSE results was 10 A's and they said i wasnt accepted :frown: And 3 of my closest mates were accepted and when they went to the enrolment day, found out that some of the students hardly got the 6 A's so im just confused on the reason why they didnt accept me :frown: Do you guys think that they might reconsider? Maybe? :p:
Reply 55
They generally have to consider several other factors, including special needs students, students with a sibling at the school, distance from the school etc.
My local grammar had a pass rate of 98% last year (A*-C)...
hmm... its very near to me :p: lol
Pixelated
My local grammar had a pass rate of 98% last year (A*-C)...

the one i wanna go to has 100% in GCSE and GNVQ :p: Which grammar school is the one near you?
Reply 59
Wow :rolleyes:

Latest