The Student Room Group

Best A level subject combinations for economics bsc degree

Hi

I want to do an economics degree at a top uni such as lse, ucl, warwick etc but not sure about oxbridge.

The A level subjects I'm thinking of doing is Maths, further maths, physics and economics as these demonstrate strong numeracy skills( maths, FM) , good analytical skills(Physics) and good essay writing skills (economics). I was wondering if this subject combination is strong enough for the top unis or is there any other subject combination which is more stronger?

Moreover, is an EPQ worth it?(I know its worth UCAS points but top unis mentioned above don't seem to take EPQ into account when making an offer)

What else I should do to make my application more strong. I can think of doing wider reading, attending summer schools, keeping upto date with news about economics. What more I could do and what is the most important thing to do apart from achieving 4 predicted A*

Please reply me even if you see that this thread is a couple of months old!

Please feel free to express whatever your views or questions are

Any responses about other subject combinations or advice is highly appreciated.
Reply 1
The subject combination is perfect and trying to maintain the four with very strong grades is more important than the EPQ. EPQ is a lot of time and top universities generally look at grades not including EPQ . Maths and further maths A* is far more important
Original post by Shubham9548
Hi

I want to do an economics degree at a top uni such as lse, ucl, warwick etc but not sure about oxbridge.

The A level subjects I'm thinking of doing is Maths, further maths, physics and economics as these demonstrate strong numeracy skills( maths, FM) , good analytical skills(Physics) and good essay writing skills (economics). I was wondering if this subject combination is strong enough for the top unis or is there any other subject combination which is more stronger?

Moreover, is an EPQ worth it?(I know its worth UCAS points but top unis mentioned above don't seem to take EPQ into account when making an offer)

What else I should do to make my application more strong. I can think of doing wider reading, attending summer schools, keeping upto date with news about economics. What more I could do and what is the most important thing to do apart from achieving 4 predicted A*

Hi

You've got most of the good stuff nailed in terms of a good subject mix etc. The only thing I'd add to your list would be essay competitions, quite a few organisations run them (e.g. Royal Economic Society, IFS, the FT, the IEA, the Economist, etc). If you can place in the top 3 of an economics essay comp, it can really stand out on the applications/interviews.

But getting your good grades is really the most important thing. EPQ/essay comps/work experience/summer schools/etc all take an application from very very good to elite level, but you can't get to that level without also having impeccable grades too, so don't sacrifice them in the pursuit of some extra curriculars, only do them if you think you can actually do them as well as excelling on your a-levels
Reply 3
Hi

For LSE, Cambridge and Warwick, you would take FS1 and FP1 as most of the first year is Further Maths Pure and Further Statistics. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by thegeek888
For LSE, Cambridge and Warwick, you would take FS1 and FP1 as most of the first year is Further Maths Pure and Further Statistics. :smile:

Hi

I appreciate your advice.

However, my college does fs1 and decision(I saw on their website). I'll ask if they would let me do FP1 and FS1. It depends upon them honestly. Btw is FP1 100% harder than decision?
Reply 5
Hi

I appreciate your advice.

However, my college does fs1 and decision(I saw on their website). I'll ask if they would let me do FP1 and FS1. It depends upon them honestly. Btw is FP1 100% harder than decision?

FP1 is Pure Maths, so arguably is harder than Decision Maths. But it does not matter much, as you will cover most of CP1, CP2 and FP1 as well as FP2 in Year 1 of an LSE degree. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending