The Student Room Group

Which universities are targeted by employers?

Only a few UK universities seem to be targeted by employers. They are as follows (ranging from elite (a) to mid-range (c)):

(a) Majority of subjects: Oxford U, Cambridge U, Imperial Coll., UCL, St Andrews U, Edinburgh U, Durham U, KCL, and Bristol U,

(b) Most subjects: RCM, RAM, AA, LAMDA, RADA, RVC, Exeter U, LSE*, Sheffield U, Manchester U, Birmingham U, Leeds U, Nottingham, Glasgow, Warwick, Southampton, Liverpool, QUB, Newcastle, Bath, Strathclyde, Dundee, and Cardiff,

(c) Approx half subjects: SOAS, SGUL, City, ULIP, RHUL, QMUL, Loughborough, Sussex, Reading, UAL, York, Swansea, Kent, Surrey, Oxford Brookes, Birkbeck, and UWE.

Do the universities not listed have poor reputations, facilities, tuition, experience, and value for money, as several UK and International league tables seem to show?

* Quantitative subjects and Law
(edited 9 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kinga88
Only a few UK universities seem to be targeted by employers. They are as follows (ranging from elite (a) to mid-range (c)):

(a) Oxford U, Cambridge U, Imperial Coll., UCL, St Andrews U, Edinburgh U, Durham U, KCL, and Bristol U,

(b) RCM, RAM, AA, LAMDA, RADA, Exeter U, LSE, Sheffield U, Manchester U, Birmingham U, Leeds U, Nottingham, Glasgow, Warwick, Southampton, Liverpool, QUB, Newcastle, Bath, Strathclyde, Dundee, and Cardiff,

(c) SOAS, SGUL, City, RVC, ULIP, RHUL, QMUL, Loughborough, Sussex, Reading, UAL:CSM, Brunel, Aston, UEA, Ulster, York, Hull, Swansea, Kent, Surrey, Oxford Brookes, Birkbeck, and UWE.

Do the universities not listed have poor reputations, facilities, tuition, experience, and value for money, as several UK and International league tables seem to show?

:woo: another silly TSR prestige list!! We haven't had one of these for ages* and you've even subdivided it into categories!

*at least an hour
Even if the question reflected reality you would be better asking by course and university - some courses at theoretically low ranking courses have way better employment than other courses at high prestige institutions.
Ooh glad to see my uni make the list
(edited 1 year ago)
So this presumably covers... every employment sector. Goodness me.
Original post by Kinga88

(a) Oxford U, Cambridge U, Imperial Coll., UCL, St Andrews U, Edinburgh U, Durham U, KCL, and Bristol U,

(b) RCM, RAM, AA, LAMDA, RADA, Exeter U, LSE, Sheffield U, Manchester U, Birmingham U, Leeds U, Nottingham, Glasgow, Warwick, Southampton, Liverpool, QUB, Newcastle, Bath, Strathclyde, Dundee, and Cardiff,

(c) SOAS, SGUL, City, RVC, ULIP, RHUL, QMUL, Loughborough, Sussex, Reading, UAL:CSM, Brunel, Aston, UEA, Ulster, York, Hull, Swansea, Kent, Surrey, Oxford Brookes, Birkbeck, and UWE.

Which employers are you referring to? There are tens of thousands of them.
Original post by Kinga88

Which employment sector is this for :lol:

In all seriousness, while I cannot deny that prestige does exist, that doesn’t mean that getting into an ‘elite’ uni will automatically lead to a good job and income. You still need to work hard and make good use of the opportunities that come your way, and you could do that from almost any uni.

It also depends on whether you’re looking at employment in the UK or internationally after uni imo.
Original post by Kinga88

Lse behind edinburugh?

are you good
Original post by Reality Check
:woo: another silly TSR prestige list!! We haven't had one of these for ages* and you've even subdivided it into categories!

*at least an hour

:toofunny:, for real though.
Original post by Riotriot

Same.
Original post by Kinga88

Unless we're talking the university of Bedfordshire only (not even going to include London met, Greenwich, LSBU etc when saying this), then no is the answer in my opinion.
Reply 11
Youve just listred near enough every university (not counting npoly's) in the country, how is this a list of 'targeted' ones? Not to mention, all universities are targeted by employers in one form or another. Degree is a degree is a degree.
That's a wierd way to class elite lol
Hi there!

I'm a fourth year languages student at the University of Surrey and feel that I could offer a little advice/ put your mind at rest concerning league tables. League tables seem like a huge deal and really important when picking your university during sixth form/college but in reality, they are forever changing and really don't put a limit on what a student can achieve. I cannot recommend enough to prospective students to pick a university off of the course, modules and whether you could picture yourself being happy there, rather than choosing based on a league table that will be different in a year's time.

If you are really bothered about employment opportunities, I would recommend looking for universities that offer a placement year and give you time to create connections and gain experience in a sector your interested in. The university of Surrey recently ranked number one for placement opportunities for their students, and experiencing this first hand, I can definitely say that the placement programme is second to none.

I hope this helps you to make a better choice for yourself rather than feeling under pressure to pick a 'prestigious' university.

Best wishes,
Alice
Final year languages student
Original post by Kinga88

I disagree with your ranking.

Could Bristol really be at the same level as Oxbridge? I don't think so. Oxbridge is first and foremost.

Would you really put Strathclyde/Dundee the same level as Manchester? Manchester is upper RG while Strathclyde isn't even in RG.

Birkbeck isn't a great uni anyway.

But in general for my ranking: Oxbridge > Upper RG (+ equivalent) > Mid RG (+ equivalent) > Low RG (+ equivalent) > Almost RG > Most post 1992 > weak post 1992 unis > ex-poly > scams

Original post by Reality Check

*at least an hour

This list is quite ********, how is KCL in the same category as Oxbridge? Sure KCL is G6, but it's not as good as Oxbridge

We all know Oxbridge are in a league of their own and deserve a ranking that suggests that.

Original post by Riotriot

Me too, for those unis I'm going to, they're in (b)

Original post by Admit-One
So this presumably covers... every employment sector. Goodness me.

I think he means in general... but I'm not sure. How is KCL in the same league as Oxbridge?

Original post by sleep_supremacy
Which employment sector is this for :lol:

In all seriousness, while I cannot deny that prestige does exist, that doesn’t mean that getting into an ‘elite’ uni will automatically lead to a good job and income. You still need to work hard and make good use of the opportunities that come your way, and you could do that from almost any uni.

It also depends on whether you’re looking at employment in the UK or internationally after uni imo.

It's much easier to use these opportunities in elite universities, especially Oxbridge. But other unis (like most RGs) are good as well.

Original post by jonjoshelveygoat
Lse behind edinburugh?

are you good

They should be at the same level

Original post by Talkative Toad
Unless we're talking the university of Bedfordshire only (not even going to include London met, Greenwich, LSBU etc when saying this), then no is the answer in my opinion.

Agreed, except I'll expand more than Bedfordshire, include London met, LSBU, Greenwich, other crappy unis.

Original post by Napp
Youve just listred near enough every university (not counting npoly's) in the country, how is this a list of 'targeted' ones? Not to mention, all universities are targeted by employers in one form or another. Degree is a degree is a degree.

Yeah but some unis are targetted by employers more than others. Especially Oxbridge (because those dudes are usually pretty smart, and their base of knowledge is very wide).

Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there!

I'm a fourth year languages student at the University of Surrey and feel that I could offer a little advice/ put your mind at rest concerning league tables. League tables seem like a huge deal and really important when picking your university during sixth form/college but in reality, they are forever changing and really don't put a limit on what a student can achieve. I cannot recommend enough to prospective students to pick a university off of the course, modules and whether you could picture yourself being happy there, rather than choosing based on a league table that will be different in a year's time.

If you are really bothered about employment opportunities, I would recommend looking for universities that offer a placement year and give you time to create connections and gain experience in a sector your interested in. The university of Surrey recently ranked number one for placement opportunities for their students, and experiencing this first hand, I can definitely say that the placement programme is second to none.

I hope this helps you to make a better choice for yourself rather than feeling under pressure to pick a 'prestigious' university.

Best wishes,
Alice
Final year languages student

League tables change a little, but rarely do they change drastically, at least overall. Oxbridge would almost always be top of UK unis, for example.
Original post by justlearning1469
I disagree with your ranking.

Could Bristol really be at the same level as Oxbridge? I don't think so. Oxbridge is first and foremost.

Would you really put Strathclyde/Dundee the same level as Manchester? Manchester is upper RG while Strathclyde isn't even in RG.

Birkbeck isn't a great uni anyway.

But in general for my ranking: Oxbridge > Upper RG (+ equivalent) > Mid RG (+ equivalent) > Low RG (+ equivalent) > Almost RG > Most post 1992 > weak post 1992 unis > ex-poly > scams

This list is quite ********, how is KCL in the same category as Oxbridge? Sure KCL is G6, but it's not as good as Oxbridge

We all know Oxbridge are in a league of their own and deserve a ranking that suggests that.

Me too, for those unis I'm going to, they're in (b)

I think he means in general... but I'm not sure. How is KCL in the same league as Oxbridge?

It's much easier to use these opportunities in elite universities, especially Oxbridge. But other unis (like most RGs) are good as well.

They should be at the same level

Agreed, except I'll expand more than Bedfordshire, include London met, LSBU, Greenwich, other crappy unis.

Yeah but some unis are targetted by employers more than others. Especially Oxbridge (because those dudes are usually pretty smart, and their base of knowledge is very wide).

League tables change a little, but rarely do they change drastically, at least overall. Oxbridge would almost always be top of UK unis, for example.

I personally wouldn't include " London met, LSBU, Greenwich".
I personally wouldn't include " London met, LSBU, Greenwich".

Fair, but these are crap unis
Fair, but these are crap unis

The only uni I personally believe to be "crap" is the university of Bedfordshire. Plus at least those unis are located in London (so the location kind of makes up for it as there's lots of unique things to do in London). Luton is something else, always on the list of worst places in England without fail pretty much (I can see why).

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/top-50-worst-places-live-29162459
https://www.thetoptens.com/cities/worst-places-live-uk/#:~:text=Top%20Ten%20Worst%20Places%20to%20Live%20In%20the,...%208%208%20Hackney%20%28London%29%20...%20More%20items
https://www.countryliving.com/uk/homes-interiors/property/a38671598/worst-places-to-live-uk/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/21318353/englands-worst-places-revealed/
Luton is top 10 in all of these.
Its much easier to use these opportunities in elite universities, especially Oxbridge. But other unis (like most RGs) are good as well.

I can’t argue with that. A lot of ‘top’ institutions advertise their networking for this reason. I would be interested to see if there were any statistics quantifying this.
The only uni I personally believe to be "crap" is the university of Bedfordshire. Plus at least those unis are located in London (so the location kind of makes up for it as there's lots of unique things to do in London). Luton is something else, always on the list of worst places in England without fail pretty much (I can see why).

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/top-50-worst-places-live-29162459
https://www.thetoptens.com/cities/worst-places-live-uk/#:~:text=Top%20Ten%20Worst%20Places%20to%20Live%20In%20the,...%208%208%20Hackney%20%28London%29%20...%20More%20items
https://www.countryliving.com/uk/homes-interiors/property/a38671598/worst-places-to-live-uk/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/21318353/englands-worst-places-revealed/
Luton is top 10 in all of these.

Partially agree. But I believe more unis than just Bedfordshire are crap. I can make an argument for many ex-polys and some post 1992 unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending