The Student Room Group

Uni Summer Ball - Long dress?

So my university summer ball is in a week, and I have a beautiful long dress that I'd love to wear (brand new). The event's facebook page says 'black tie preferred' which I know means that cocktail dresses and long dresses are perfectly fine.
But I have a feeling everyone else will be in shorter dresses, including my friends. While mine is long it's not incredibly formal or anything, like a ball gown.
This is my dress; http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy224/jennifer-re/Ball%20Dress/DSC01307.jpg

So my question is, do I wear the long dress (which looks good on and I love so very much) and brim myself in confidence, but risk being the only one in a long dress? Or do I find an alternative?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
jennifer.re
So my university summer ball is in a week, and I have a beautiful long dress that I'd love to wear (brand new). The event's facebook page says 'black tie preferred' which I know means that cocktail dresses and long dresses are perfectly fine.
But I have a feeling everyone else will be in shorter dresses, including my friends. While mine is long it's not incredibly formal or anything, like a ball gown.
This is my dress; http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy224/jennifer-re/Ball%20Dress/DSC01307.jpg

So my question is, do I wear the long dress (which looks good on and I love so very much) and brim myself in confidence, but risk being the only one in a long dress? Or do I find an alternative?

It's stunning!
And I'd say ask around. If you have any close friends, ask them what they are wearing or ask a close friend to buy a long dress as well so you won't be the only one.

I'd say in order to not look too over the top, keep the accessories / jewllery simple and classic.
Reply 2
Go for it! If you do, all the attention will be on you... and it's a really nice dress. Do it!! Just don't get so drunk that thinks get spilt on it ... :s-smilie:
Reply 3
guys opinion... when you said long dress i imagined something frumpy and not sexy in the slightest, the dress is really nice, nothing wrong with it at all
You might be surprised at how many wear long dresses. There were quite a few at a ball I was at on Thursday, two girls of our party of six wore them.

Be brave! And if it turns out you are the only one, so much the better :smile:
Reply 5
maxi dresses are sooo popular at the mo, i gurantee there will be loads of other girls wearing them. i personally wouldnt because im a short-arse and it would drag along the floor... but i defo would if i could pull it off! maxi dresses are gorgeous.

defo wear it!
Reply 6
Thanks! It's from Quiz, I think I got the last one but they might get it back in stock! I'd never ordered from them before so was really worried haha, but it's actually really good quality :smile:
Reply 7
snowshine
It's stunning!
And I'd say ask around. If you have any close friends, ask them what they are wearing or ask a close friend to buy a long dress as well so you won't be the only one.

I'd say in order to not look too over the top, keep the accessories / jewllery simple and classic.

Yeah, my friend said that if she comes she'd wear a long dress, but isn't sure if she's coming yet.

I was planning on just wearing a gold bangle or two, and then I have some white and gold sandals (really low, about 1 inch, wedge). And I'll just find a little black bag probably.
Reply 8
nnnomi
Go for it! If you do, all the attention will be on you... and it's a really nice dress. Do it!! Just don't get so drunk that thinks get spilt on it ... :s-smilie:

Yeah I am SO worried about it being white. There's a chocolate fountain and hog roast at the ball....staying well away from that!
Reply 9
NW86
guys opinion... when you said long dress i imagined something frumpy and not sexy in the slightest, the dress is really nice, nothing wrong with it at all

Yeah, it's not like a prom style dress at all. Hahah, imagine if I turned up in a ball gown. Now that would not be appropriate.
Reply 10
QueenOfTheAmazons
You might be surprised at how many wear long dresses. There were quite a few at a ball I was at on Thursday, two girls of our party of six wore them.

Be brave! And if it turns out you are the only one, so much the better :smile:

Everyone else is saying the same thing so I'm just going to go for it! Better to be overdressed, than underdressed.
Reply 11
It's lovely. There's nothing wrong with standing out, as long as you're not standing out for wearing something disgusting!

Even if everyone else is wearing short dresses, I don't think that one will stand out too much.
Reply 12
popple7
maxi dresses are sooo popular at the mo, i gurantee there will be loads of other girls wearing them. i personally wouldnt because im a short-arse and it would drag along the floor... but i defo would if i could pull it off! maxi dresses are gorgeous.

defo wear it!

Well I'm only 5'5, so I'm sure you could manage it! Haha. I was really luckily that when I put on my shoes it was the PERFECT length.
Okay, will do! Everyone is saying the same thing so I'm just going to go for it :smile:
Reply 13
haithere
It's lovely. There's nothing wrong with standing out, as long as you're not standing out for wearing something disgusting!

Even if everyone else is wearing short dresses, I don't think that one will stand out too much.

Okay great! Thanks alot :smile:
I think I'm going to go for it.
Just a bit of last minute panic I think haha.
Reply 14
jennifer.re
Okay great! Thanks alot :smile:
I think I'm going to go for it.
Just a bit of last minute panic I think haha.

Yeah I know what you mean, but I'm sure you won't be the only one in a longer dress, and if you are, so what!
its funny...at my school ball, practically everyone is buying a long dress. but in other schools hardly anyone does, weird!
Reply 16
jennifer.re
Everyone else is saying the same thing so I'm just going to go for it! Better to be overdressed, than underdressed.

Well I wouldn't go quite that far!
Reply 17
jennifer.re
Yeah, my friend said that if she comes she'd wear a long dress, but isn't sure if she's coming yet.

I was planning on just wearing a gold bangle or two, and then I have some white and gold sandals (really low, about 1 inch, wedge). And I'll just find a little black bag probably.

That sounds great. :smile:
How tall are you?
Reply 18
Black Tie =/= cocktail dresses. Realistically dresses for black tie should be knee length or longer. Your dress is perfectly appropriate.
Reply 19
snowshine
That sounds great. :smile:
How tall are you?

Around 5'5? Maybe a little closer to 5'6 now? (I hope anyway haha)

Latest