The Student Room Group

Should I lie and say I'm not a uni student at interviews?

Just so they won't potentially take someone else who they know can stay working there? And is it feasible to then quit at the end of august even if my contract was for say 3 months or something?
Reply 1
I'm pretty sure it still counts as fraud, and if your contract is 3 months, you are required to work for three months... not sure why you'd think that wasn't the case?
SixStrings
Just so they won't potentially take someone else who they know can stay working there? And is it feasible to then quit at the end of august even if my contract was for say 3 months or something?

I take it you want a summer job but think they won't employ you for a short time? Well you'd be right. But if you say before hand you can cut out wasted time and maybe be ok
Reply 3
They'd probably find out somehow, slip of the tongue or something... what you could do, however, is hammer home the point that you want to go into whatever industry the job is in when you finish studying?
Reply 4
Ice_Queen
I'm pretty sure it still counts as fraud, and if your contract is 3 months, you are required to work for three months... not sure why you'd think that wasn't the case?

Erm, no you aren't :s-smilie: You can leave a job any time you want (bar the armed forces)! No one can keep you in a job :s-smilie:

OP I quit a temp job after 1 month even though I said I'd go for 3, I just hated the job. Just tell them you're moving or something, nothing they can do.
I wish I'd done this! I applied for a 16 hour Sales Adviser job in Debenhams mainly for the summer, but they wanted me to work September onwards as well, but they won't work around timetables. Oh well, it's not the end of the world cause I've got two jobs, just don't really like them :frown: One is only 6 hours and the other one I don't like at all!
I wouldn't. Starting off on a lie could end up with you in serious trouble.
Reply 7
SixStrings

Why don't you just be an adult and tell the truth? Be straight with them! Say you're only going be here for the summer.

Seriously, you're not the only one, but it's so annoying. I work for a fashion retailer and the number of OBVIOUS students that come and try and get interviews saying they're here for the long term is ridiculous!

They do it every year... but I think my store manager has seen sense now... last year she hired three people in July and they were gone in September, all mysteriously 'decided' that they wanted to go to uni? What so they put together a UCAS application in the space of a few weeks after the deadlines? LOL no!

Anyway... yeh be honest, don't lie... how will you ever grow up as an adult if you live life telling lies all the time?
If i get asked at my interview about returning for a second year i think i'm just gonna say i'm unsure about going back (99.9% sure i will be doing but it's not a lie - 0.01% unsure!)
Reply 9
Its quite possibly the only way to find work.

A few mates have found it the only way to get summer work, and if you manage to land a full time job with training for career progression often you get better money too.

You just need to have the balls to say 'by the way, I'm going back to uni next week, cheerio!' at the end of the summer, and have another prospective employer lined up for the next summer.
Reply 10
I think as long as you give 4 weeks notice, you should be ok. That is the minimum. I got a job in about February, I said I wasn't sure if I was going to Uni. Of course I was positive that I would be, but "Not sure" was the only way I knew I'd get the job. I'll let them know I'm quitting at the end of July or something :smile:.
Reply 11
SixStrings

Yes it's fine. But don't expect to use that employer as a referee later on if you didn't give them the full notice period before you quit. You should quit on the day of the last paycheck you intend to collect. The employer won't make a fuss but will be slightly annoyed, so if they owe you for a few weeks they may hold back what they owe you for a couple of months. So definitely quit on the day of the last paycheck you intend to collect.
Acolyte
Yes it's fine. But don't expect to use that employer as a referee later on if you didn't give them the full notice period before you quit. You should quit on the day of the last paycheck you intend to collect. The employer won't make a fuss but will be slightly annoyed, so if they owe you for a few weeks they may hold back what they owe you for a couple of months. So definitely quit on the day of the last paycheck you intend to collect.

Erm, no. Just give them notice, treat them with a bit of respect. They cant not pay you! I did this last summer, and everyone was really understanding about me leaving and when I go in now everyone is really friendly and they wrote me a great reference for my new job.
Reply 13
xSara.loux
Erm, no. Just give them notice, treat them with a bit of respect. They cant not pay you! I did this last summer, and everyone was really understanding about me leaving and when I go in now everyone is really friendly and they wrote me a great reference for my new job.

Yeah I would agree except the guy's talking about being a prospective employee among other candidates who are not students. It's reasonable to anticipate that the employer would choose the candidate who is not a student. Therefore lying would improve the chances of getting that job. Please read the OP before posting on a thread. Thanks!
Acolyte
Yeah I would agree except the guy's talking about being a prospective employee among other candidates who are not students. It's reasonable to anticipate that the employer would choose the candidate who is not a student. Therefore lying would improve the chances of getting that job. Please read the OP before posting on a thread. Thanks!

Please read what i say, thanks!

I said I LIED last summer to get a job. What I didnt agree with is not giving full notice when you leave, there is no excuse for that. All that leaving on your last pay day stuff was just stupid. If you are expected to give a weeks notice, then thats what you should do.
Reply 15
xSara.loux
Please read what i say, thanks!

I said I LIED last summer to get a job. What I didnt agree with is not giving full notice when you leave, there is no excuse for that. All that leaving on your last pay day stuff was just stupid. If you are expected to give a weeks notice, then thats what you should do.

It depends.. some employers are not that good-natured and might think 'Oh he/she is now going to s*d off and start an accountancy degree! He/she never told me they were a student when I hired them!'
Thinking that, they might delay the last paycheck. In temp jobs you might have to give 1 week's notice but for most permanent jobs the contractual notice period is longer. That's why maybe the OP should consider pulling a fast one.. It all depends on the circumstances. Anyway we're all helping in our own way. I don't think there's a right or wrong approach :smile:
Jobs rarely have more than 2 weeks notice period, and most chains have one week. And they cannot not pay you. I think the lying is bad enough never mind everything else. I felt awful when I handed in my notice, I wouldnt be able to have done anything worse to them.
Reply 17
lesbionic
Why don't you just be an adult and tell the truth? Be straight with them! Say you're only going be here for the summer.

Seriously, you're not the only one, but it's so annoying. I work for a fashion retailer and the number of OBVIOUS students that come and try and get interviews saying they're here for the long term is ridiculous!

They do it every year... but I think my store manager has seen sense now... last year she hired three people in July and they were gone in September, all mysteriously 'decided' that they wanted to go to uni? What so they put together a UCAS application in the space of a few weeks after the deadlines? LOL no!

Anyway... yeh be honest, don't lie... how will you ever grow up as an adult if you live life telling lies all the time?

There is prejudice against most temporary staff, which almost exclusively affects students, so lying is sometimes the only way to get a job in the first place.
Reply 18
Well I've just applied to a job that has previously turned me away for being in uni. This time I lied and got the job, however in the paperwork I've had to put down that I have a ongoing student loan. Should I be worried. I won't be able to afford uni without it ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending