The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Revenged
lol... though you have missed one important thing

you must remember that younger pupils are often discriminated against compared to their older pupils and their teachers in the school. Therefore a uniform test for all pupils and teachers must be sat where allowances are made for intelligence, age and gender.

As teachers must sit the test as well, this is where this basic numeracy and literacy is tested because clearly you can't assume that teachers are more intelligent than pupils because this is clear discrimination! Therefore you must test them on what they are teaching their pupils! It all makes complete sense!

Have you considered a career with the Department of Education's examination division? :biggrin:
Reply 21
Manatee
Have you considered a career with the Department of Education's examination division? :biggrin:

lol... the fun i'd have would be immense!

You forget that the whole idea of a 'career' is discrimation against those that do not have a job and are unemployed... er... sorry, i'm not allowed to say that, i mean deferred successes or soon to be employed or deferred employee...

There is really no end to this, is there... we'll probably end up being communists. Everyone in the country is equal with no power except the leader, which is what normally happens in communist reguimes.

In the UK, we'll soon have that... no one will be discriminated against as we'll all be 'equal' and we'll all pass are qualifications leaving all the power to the leader, Tony Blair!
Reply 22
Revenged
There is really no end to this, is there... we'll probably end up being communists.

:eek: I certainly hope not! I speak from first-hand experience of living under communism... Besides, communism has its own strict discriminating hierarchy - the proletariat at the top, the intelligentsia at the bottom...

Surely the very idea of an elected leader is discriminatory, though? Perhaps a lottery system should be used instead - nice and random!
Reply 23
Manatee
:eek: I certainly hope not! I speak from first-hand experience of living under communism... Besides, communism has its own strict discriminating hierarchy - the proletariat at the top, the intelligentsia at the bottom...

Surely the very idea of an elected leader is discriminatory, though? Perhaps a lottery system should be used instead - nice and random!

lol... i can picture it now!

the national lottery present in conjuntion with who wants to be millionaire presents...

'Who wants to be the priminster of the United Kingdom?'

*Chris Evans walks over to the button and presses the button*

Relase the balls...

'Today we are using machine 41, named Bob, and set of balls number 69...' says that voice on the TV

'Todays winner is number 620942'

*pause*

'The winner is a Vicky Pollard from a Little Britain'

Yes, tis brilliant idea!
Reply 24
All this about teacher stupidity is all well and good, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that equally important professionals such as social workers, nurses, lawyers, police officers, and even the odd doctor are as bout are equally illierate, statistically. But of course, our excessive media will not highlight this, why?......

1. Teachers should know better because everyone has had one, and they should be the 'educators'.
2. Teachers receive bad press and reputation because of many governmental changes, teacher shortages are exploited by the media, and this may be their reason why etc etc.

.....It doesn't make quite the impact for a headline when one read's "22% of social workers can't spell accommodation" - etc.
Reply 25
Astor
All this about teacher stupidity is all well and good, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that equally important professionals such as social workers, nurses, lawyers, police officers, and even the odd doctor are as bout are equally illierate, statistically. But of course, our excessive media will not highlight this, why?......

1. Teachers should know better because everyone has had one, and they should be the 'educators'.
2. Teachers receive bad press and reputation because of many governmental changes, teacher shortages are exploited by the media, and this may be their reason why etc etc.

.....It doesn't make quite the impact for a headline when one read's "22% of social workers can't spell accommodation" - etc.

That may be true, but teachers are supposed to pass on their knowledge to the next generation- and if they have no knowledge to pass on, we are in trouble. It doesn't matter as much if the odd lawyer can't do simple fractions, or a nurse has trouble with spelling - they don't play the same educational role. Hence the fuss.
Reply 26
Howard
It's a disgrace. It seems that greater weight than ever before can be attached to the adage "..........those that can't, teach......."

Good old George Bernard Shaw.

But then he also said that 'the professions are a conspiracy against the laity'.
Reply 27
BellaCat
Good old George Bernard Shaw.

But then he also said that 'the professions are a conspiracy against the laity'.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm.....I like that. I'd not heard that one before....
I don't see the problem, My English Literature teacher had to do the equivalent of a maths GSCE during/after her PGCE, I think, and she never needed to teach us any maths at all. Although I understand that primary school teachers have to be more flexible.

Besides, you only really need to stay one lesson ahead of the kids...

Latest

Trending

Trending