The Student Room Group

English Language help

Hello everyone, I’m currently 3 days away from my first English language exam. I have missed 7 years of school (from year 5-11) due very chronic illness. I have maybe attended 30 days a year. I only go to school for 1 hour a day. When I do go in, which is rare. I’m a very positive and career driven person and I have the drive to succeed.
During my mock exams (although I did them when I was I’ll and barely with it) I got a grade 2 in English language and 3 in maths. I was told by college I only need a 4 to get into the level 3 course I’m going to do. Apperently my expected grade is a 5 in maths and English according to my teacher, which has confused me considering I only got a 2 and 3?. I’ve started to recover and due to that I have begun to study (the last week). Also in ALL of my time at school I’m doing 1-1 lessons in a private room with a teacher.

Overall my question is.
1. What’s my chances of getting a grade 4 in both, considering that last time I had close to no education at the time of mocks and now (last month) I’m doing 2 hrs a day 1–1.

2. Any tips on how to pass ? Other than past papers and videos (doing it already)
Reply 1
Hi! I honestly think it's amazing that you're trying your best given the circumstances, for maths I'm going to assume you're doing the foundation paper, and what you're currently doing is probably enough, clear up any misunderstandings in topics with your teacher. For English I'd recommend reading through the examiner reports as they tell you exactly what examiners are looking for in each question, as well as provide sample responses. (They can be found on the exam boards website, just look up your course). The grading this year is supposed to be more generous so I think you have a decent chance of getting those 4s! All the best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by TheString
Hi! I honestly think it's amazing that you're trying your best given the circumstances, for maths I'm going to assume you're doing the foundation paper, and what you're currently doing is probably enough, clear up any misunderstandings in topics with your teacher. For English I'd recommend reading through the examiner reports as they tell you exactly what examiners are looking for in each question, as well as provide sample responses. (They can be found on the exam boards website, just look up your course). The grading this year is supposed to be more generous so I think you have a decent chance of getting those 4s! All the best of luck!

Thank you so much :smile:, that’s really boosted my confidence:smile:
Reply 3
Hi hun!
I can see how you're trying so so hard and it moves me honestly reading this. I went through a similar problem where I was in and out of hospital constantly in gcses in alecels and even at uni! But here I am now doing my masters in stem at a top uni.

What you need to understand is firstly.
It is not a full stop if u Don't manage to pass.
I merely got Cs but I failed math because I couldn't sit the exam in the first place.I went from being top set in everything to almost failing everything.

I retook and passed.
Alot of unis will only care about your maths and English so do ur best on those.

Secondly. If u "fail" any of ur gcses that u really wanted u can always retake. Yes in some cases it can have a price but. You can almost always resit in college.

Right now you need to make sure ure healthy and taking care of your body. Revise a few hours each day with spaced repetition.

You will need to build those synaptic connections however its also crucial that u understand the basics of the topic because if you don't it would initially be extremely hard to revise and retain information.

Start of small. Then expand on the topic , gather your information from sources like YouTube and additional reading ! And finally attempt past papers

After the exams make sure you gather any extenuating circumstances evidence from your medical provider/gp to make sure you can provide evidence of your health issues that lead you to have lower grades. This will give you a level playing field when it comes to enrolment. It is possible it may not always work but it should contextualise or work I'm most cases.

My dms are always open x
:smile:
Good luck champ you got this
Reply 4
Original post by Luke2427
Hello everyone, I’m currently 3 days away from my first English language exam. I have missed 7 years of school (from year 5-11) due very chronic illness. I have maybe attended 30 days a year. I only go to school for 1 hour a day. When I do go in, which is rare. I’m a very positive and career driven person and I have the drive to succeed.
During my mock exams (although I did them when I was I’ll and barely with it) I got a grade 2 in English language and 3 in maths. I was told by college I only need a 4 to get into the level 3 course I’m going to do. Apperently my expected grade is a 5 in maths and English according to my teacher, which has confused me considering I only got a 2 and 3?. I’ve started to recover and due to that I have begun to study (the last week). Also in ALL of my time at school I’m doing 1-1 lessons in a private room with a teacher.

Overall my question is.
1. What’s my chances of getting a grade 4 in both, considering that last time I had close to no education at the time of mocks and now (last month) I’m doing 2 hrs a day 1–1.

2. Any tips on how to pass ? Other than past papers and videos (doing it already)

Heya!
It's great to see your determination and positive attitude towards your exams. Here are some suggestions to help you increase your chances of getting a grade 4 in English and Maths! I would recommend focusing on key topics. Identify the key topics and areas that are likely to be covered in the exam. Prioritise studying those areas and ensure you have a good understanding of the concepts and techniques involved.

In addition to past papers and videos, make the most of your 1-1 lessons by seeking clarification on specific topics, practising exam-style questions under timed conditions, and actively engaging in revision techniques such as creating concise summaries. Stay positive and maintain your drive to succeed!

Good luck!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 5
Original post by Luke2427

Overall my question is.

stay strong bro, i believe in you. smash those exams!

Quick Reply

Latest