The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

welldoesntthissuck
The Evidential Problem of Evil may come in handy. What exam board are you with?

OCR, what is the evidential problem of evil?
Problem of evil based on evidence?
So, in the world.
I know moral evil and natural evil, and all that easy stuff.
:biggrin:
Clevergecko
OCR, what is the evidential problem of evil?
Problem of evil based on evidence?
So, in the world.
I know moral evil and natural evil, and all that easy stuff.
:biggrin:

I'm not sure if you'll need it but it was fully developed by William Rowe in the 1980's. Its a posteriori and uses pointless evil against the existence of God. (Pointless evil being that which does not prevent any greater evil or bring about any greater good). It states that an omnipotent God would be able to prevent pointless evil in the world and an omni-benevolent God would be willing to prevent pointless evil in the world so it is less likely that God exists.
welldoesntthissuck
I'm not sure if you'll need it but it was fully developed by William Rowe in the 1980's. Its a posteriori and uses pointless evil against the existence of God. (Pointless evil being that which does not prevent any greater evil or bring about any greater good). It states that an omnipotent God would be able to prevent pointless evil in the world and an omni-benevolent God would be willing to prevent pointless evil in the world so it is less likely that God exists.

Oh right, thats basically the inconsistent triad I guess. :biggrin:
Reply 23
Why don't you go to the AQA website and look through past papers and the mark scheme? The answers show you exactly how to apply the theories to the issues.
Clevergecko
I also have no idea about ethics, especially natural law, what the criticisms are of kants theory, and applied ethics. Christian ethics is jyst my ultimate fail.

I'm alright on all the arguments for gods existence in philosophy, for some reason I just really can't remember all the problem of evil stuff. I know Augustine, ireneaus, inconsistent triad and the free will defence, but I can never remember anything else, did anyone else come into it?

If you are doing OCR that's pretty much all you need to know plus the blame on God for evil in both the theodicies (ultimately yes in Augustine..more explicitly in Irenenaus)

Latest

Trending

Trending