The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
serendipity
I went to see Exeter and thought it was lovely, loved the course, campus, etc...until i got to the talk given by the English tutors. I don't want to put u off, but i have honestly never been to a less inspiring talk in my life. I thought "i don't want to be taught by these people, they'll send me to sleep!" and consequently didn't apply. They have a cheek to ask for AAA, but i think they do that so that when the results come in they can go from the top of the list downwards, and give places that way.

Oh well, I don't really wanna go there anyway, lol. I'm still offended that they aren't begging me to go there :wink: Southampton is my top choice from the unis that have given me offers - only cause they were nice and gave me a (slightly) lower than standard offer.

The Guardian's list is surprising,and totally different to the Times', naturally :rolleyes: York is nowhere to be seen (its 3rd according to the Times) & there are several unis there that I've never heard mentioned before as being great for English.

(Warwick interview in just over a week - :eek: )

Specialheffa - congrats on sorting out your uni choices :smile:
Reply 81
hornblower
This reminds me of a scene in The World Is Not Enough (not one one of the best Bond films in my opinion) where Bond - pretending to be Russian - encounters Dr Christmas Jones for the first time. Jones is suspicious.

JONES: Your English is very good for a Russian.
BOND: I studied at Oxford.

James Bond is an intelligent man.

J.

um...what??!

but thanks everyone else for your opinions. i think i've narrowed it down to bristol or york...but i just can't decide. spose i'll have to flip a coin!
and serendipity - i quite liked brum when i visited but half my friends have gone there and i'd like to start somewhere new!
I applied for generic English at Oxford, Reading, Nottingham and Bristol, English and creative writing at Warwick and English and journalism at Bangor.

I've had an offer from Reading, a rejection from Oxford and an interview at Bangor in March, but I haven't heard anything from the other three apart from an acknowledgement from Bristol back in November.

I've been checking the UCAS tracker every day, but nothing's come up since Oxford rejected me. The waiting game is evil. :frown:
Reply 83
Insatiable
I applied for generic English at Oxford, Reading, Nottingham and Bristol, English and creative writing at Warwick and English and journalism at Bangor.

I've had an offer from Reading, a rejection from Oxford and an interview at Bangor in March, but I haven't heard anything from the other three apart from an acknowledgement from Bristol back in November.

I've been checking the UCAS tracker every day, but nothing's come up since Oxford rejected me. The waiting game is evil. :frown:

It really is. Best of luck with all, and keep us informed!! :smile:
Reply 84
Had my Warwick interview Friday - went better than I expected but I have no idea how I did. Came out thinking "that's it??!" :biggrin:

The interviewer said she was really impressed by my personal statement/ reference and at the end told me I'd done really well (they probably say that to everyone I imagine :rolleyes: ). I was so nervous though - don't think I actually answered the question properly a couple of times :frown:

Also, I seemed to be in there for less time than everyone else - is that a good sign?? :confused:

Campus was nice, though it was pouring with rain. My interview was mid-afternoon so I had no choice but to hang around & get totally soaked :biggrin:
Acid_Rain
Had my Warwick interview Friday - went better than I expected but I have no idea how I did. Came out thinking "that's it??!" :biggrin:

The interviewer said she was really impressed by my personal statement/ reference and at the end told me I'd done really well (they probably say that to everyone I imagine :rolleyes: ). I was so nervous though - don't think I actually answered the question properly a couple of times :frown:

Also, I seemed to be in there for less time than everyone else - is that a good sign?? :confused:

Campus was nice, though it was pouring with rain. My interview was mid-afternoon so I had no choice but to hang around & get totally soaked :biggrin:

Why didn't you visit the student's union? It's one of the best in the country!

J.
Reply 86
Anyone doing English at UCL next year? Is it any good for English? Whats the accomdation like?

pred. grades
English Lit A
German A
History A
General Studs (what a joke!) A

Cam (rejected)
Edinburgh (ditto, don't know why; may well have gone there)
St. Andrews (AAB)
Warwick (withdrew)
UCL (AAB)
York (AAB)

Haven't really looked at UCL - went for an interview and it was a really pretty college and the people were really nice to me. I expected I'd get into Edinburgh so I didn't look at any other Unis before I applied.
I hated York as it was horribly ugly, Warwick for the same reason; they both felt lifeless too. :confused:
St. Andrews is lovely, but its too far away really.
Can't think how anyone could do English at York, I almost killed myself at the open day it was so depressing.
So... ideas on UCL?
Reply 87
Already had my grades when I applied (at start of gap year)

English A
Theatre Studies A
History A
General studies (snigger) A

Sociology AS -A

Cambridge - Interviewed and rejected
Durham - Rejected
York - Unconditional offer, rejected by me :wink:
Manchester - Rejected
Bristol - Rejected
Warwick - Interviewed and accepted

Im happy, Warwick is very cool, and the course is ace. Hope everyone else gets where they want to go!
Reply 88
A Levels (predicted):
English A
History A
Geography A

AS Level
Chemistry B (decertificated)

Also doing AEA English and History

Cambridge - accepted: AAA offer
UCL - rejected
Bristol - rejected
Durham - rejected
St Andrews - declined
Reply 89
winorloose

Also doing AEA English and History

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what's preparation for AEA English like? How did unis tend to react to you doing it - do you think it helped your application? Just curious as I so nearly did it!
Reply 90
Predicted Grades:
Literature; A
Politics; A
Psychology; A
French; B (as level, absolutley hated french!)
Philosophy; A/B
General studies; A

Unis;
Exeter (accepted) ABB
Cambridge; pooled but not selected
Nottingham; rejected
Warwick; rejected, however my teachers enquired why and warwick said it was because on my ucas form my predicted grades were only A,A,A/B ) and they only interviewed AAA predicted candidates
Bristol; rejected, when teachers asked why they said because of the competition for places, they had looked at my gcse scores and my one C, in chemistry (despite A's in other subjects) was enough to reject me!
York; rejected

When I went to look at Exeter on the admissions day I really didnt like it, to say the least they made the course sound like a creative writing and film studies course rather than the traditional poetry, prac crit and novels. But I don't want to wait another year and in the second year there's sooooo much more flexability! My teacher has also suggested its THE place to be for English, but I think thats her just bein nice!

x Nat
Reply 91
lolita

Bristol; rejected, when teachers asked why they said because of the competition for places, they had looked at my gcse scores and my one C, in chemistry (despite A's in other subjects) was enough to reject me!

Really? I know the competition at Bristol is immense, but I got an offer for English Lit with GCSEs that were 7 A*s, 2 As and one C, also in a science. I don't understand their system sometimes...
Congrats on Exeter though, I know a couple of people who love it there and I hope you'll have a wicked time :smile:
Reply 92
lolita
Predicted Grades:
Literature; A
Politics; A
Psychology; A
French; B (as level, absolutley hated french!)
Philosophy; A/B
General studies; A

Unis;
Exeter (accepted) ABB
Cambridge; pooled but not selected
Nottingham; rejected
Warwick; rejected, however my teachers enquired why and warwick said it was because on my ucas form my predicted grades were only A,A,A/B ) and they only interviewed AAA predicted candidates
York; rejected

When I went to look at Exeter on the admissions day I really didnt like it, to say the least they made the course sound like a creative writing and film studies course rather than the traditional poetry, prac crit and novels. But I don't want to wait another year and in the second year there's sooooo much more flexability! My teacher has also suggested its THE place to be for English, but I think thats her just bein nice!

x Nat

Well done, Exeter is a good uni, I want to go there for Eng lit next year. You're lucky to get such a good offer as well, the typical offer is AAA-AAB (well that's what it says in the prospectus)
Reply 93
slowjamz
Sorry to hijack the thread, but what's preparation for AEA English like? How did unis tend to react to you doing it - do you think it helped your application? Just curious as I so nearly did it!

Tbh I haven't had too much preparation, and I'm yet to see a paper.

I have no idea if it helped my application; rejections from three unis, and the fact that it didn't come up in my interview at Cambridge suggest that they weren't bowled over by it.
Reply 94
~Sam~
Well done, Exeter is a good uni, I want to go there for Eng lit next year. You're lucky to get such a good offer as well, the typical offer is AAA-AAB (well that's what it says in the prospectus)
Yeah, everyone I know with an offer from Exeter has had AAA.

In the end I got:

Warwick: rejected
Southampton: offer ABB
Birmingham: offer AAB
Nottingham: rejected
Durham: offer AAB
York: rejected

have accepted Durham as firm and Southampton insurance.
arrjimlad
Anyone doing English at UCL next year? Is it any good for English? Whats the accomdation like?

pred. grades
English Lit A
German A
History A
General Studs (what a joke!) A

Cam (rejected)
Edinburgh (ditto, don't know why; may well have gone there)
St. Andrews (AAB)
Warwick (withdrew)
UCL (AAB)
York (AAB)

Haven't really looked at UCL - went for an interview and it was a really pretty college and the people were really nice to me. I expected I'd get into Edinburgh so I didn't look at any other Unis before I applied.
I hated York as it was horribly ugly, Warwick for the same reason; they both felt lifeless too. :confused:
St. Andrews is lovely, but its too far away really.
Can't think how anyone could do English at York, I almost killed myself at the open day it was so depressing.
So... ideas on UCL?

UCL is great (well i would say that i'm biased lol). I accepted UCL for English as my first, i really liked the people, and especially the course!! What have you chosen?
Reply 96
its amazing at how much of a lottery english applications are. It must be so annoying to get straight A's and loads of regections. I feel so sorry for all you people

Latest

Trending

Trending