The Student Room Group

A level options

Would be interested to here from anyone doing English lit at Uni on what A Level subjects are preferable for applying.

I'm about to start year 12 studying English lit, History, Film studies, and drama

I know my chances of getting into RG with these subjects are slim but I'm also interested in applying to drama conservatoires so I'm looking to keep my options open but i'd be willing to drop film or switch it to politics if it means I stand more of a chance at getting into a good uni.

Would love to hear any advice on this, thanks xx
Reply 1
Original post by mimirosechibah
Would be interested to here from anyone doing English lit at Uni on what A Level subjects are preferable for applying.

I'm about to start year 12 studying English lit, History, Film studies, and drama

I know my chances of getting into RG with these subjects are slim but I'm also interested in applying to drama conservatoires so I'm looking to keep my options open but i'd be willing to drop film or switch it to politics if it means I stand more of a chance at getting into a good uni.

hey even though i'm doing stem subjects i took english lit for a term and a lot of my friends are doing humanities based subjects and some hoping to do english lit too.

i just want to preface this by saying i would keep your options varied to allow you with more scope to change your mind later. for instance i was pretty dead set on doing law, but now i'm going to apply for engineering.

for english lit, obviously english lit would be most suited, and doing all essay subjects would put you at an advantage. keep in mind this will be a large workload but will prepare you well for an essay based degree and anyways all a levels are going to require hard work. i'm not sure on whether drama or film studies are essay based but there's probably some overlap with drama and english lit that u could talk about in your PS anyways just thinking ahead.

would say you don't need 4 subjects unles you plan on dropping one - there's no advantage unless you're doing like further maths with maths or smth.

i would say definitely take english lit and history they go really well together and i think pick drama if you're interested in applying to drama conservatories - don't quote me though idrk much abt them but since its literally the subject you want to go into i would recommend lol.

other subjects that go well are languages and politics like you've mentioned since it's essay based.

hope this helps! good luck and don't worry abt RG unis these are great options and if you get decent grades you'll stand a good chance getting an offer :smile:
This is really helpful thankyou so much!

I think I would be looking to drop one as I agree that the workload would be heavy, I would mabye take history at as level then drop it at the end of year 12.

Drama and film are essay based from from what I know but are not considered to be academic subjects, I’m hoping my grades could make up for the fact that they’re not academic subjects but I’ll definitely look into the requirements for unis I’m Intrested in.

Thanks again! xxx

Hello,

I wouldn’t call those subjects giving you a slim chance at getting accepted into a RG is true at all. The main thing they’re interested in here is literature, which you’re taking. History is an incredibly useful supplement to English, as literature tends to be a very historical subject in and of itself.

History and Literature is an extremely common joint degree because of how compatible they are as subjects. Likewise, film and literature is also common because adaptation is a whole field in the literary workplace. Shakespeare’s plays, which every school will inevitably make you study are all scripts—drama comes under that category.

The subjects you have taken all directly link to an English Literature degree! It’s not all about books and English Language isn’t a mandatory requirement for A level to get into literature. Your wide range of subjects are all a part of what makes English Literature the subject that it is.

Hope this helps,
Dom
(English Literature Graduate)
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello,

I wouldn’t call those subjects giving you a slim chance at getting accepted into a RG is true at all. The main thing they’re interested in here is literature, which you’re taking. History is an incredibly useful supplement to English, as literature tends to be a very historical subject in and of itself.

History and Literature is an extremely common joint degree because of how compatible they are as subjects. Likewise, film and literature is also common because adaptation is a whole field in the literary workplace. Shakespeare’s plays, which every school will inevitably make you study are all scripts—drama comes under that category.

The subjects you have taken all directly link to an English Literature degree! It’s not all about books and English Language isn’t a mandatory requirement for A level to get into literature. Your wide range of subjects are all a part of what makes English Literature the subject that it is.

Hope this helps,
Dom
(English Literature Graduate)

So helpful thanks so much !

Hey!
It might sound cliche but from experience go with what you enjoy. In my first year i chose subjects I hated but thought they would be well recognised and get me into a better uni but long story short I changed them because I absolutely hated them and hated college. When I changed them I suddenly was a lot less stressed, much happier and found the work a lot more easier because I genuinely enjoyed my subjects. I dont know much about politics and film studies but from taking english lit and history, I know that they 'look good' for unis, but if you want more advice you can ring up the college/ sixth form your planning on going to and ask for more advice.At the end of the day, pick something you know you will enjoy because A levels are hard and you honestly dont want to make it more difficult for yourself by choosing something you hate.
I hope this helps xx:smile:
Original post by Pandasarecute65
Hey!
It might sound cliche but from experience go with what you enjoy. In my first year i chose subjects I hated but thought they would be well recognised and get me into a better uni but long story short I changed them because I absolutely hated them and hated college. When I changed them I suddenly was a lot less stressed, much happier and found the work a lot more easier because I genuinely enjoyed my subjects. I dont know much about politics and film studies but from taking english lit and history, I know that they 'look good' for unis, but if you want more advice you can ring up the college/ sixth form your planning on going to and ask for more advice.At the end of the day, pick something you know you will enjoy because A levels are hard and you honestly dont want to make it more difficult for yourself by choosing something you hate.
I hope this helps xx:smile:

Thankyou! Xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending