The Student Room Group

Classical Civilisation or English A-Level for law

I want to do law/politics/history degree and I'm undecided whether to choose English or Classical Civilisation. I am predicted 8-9 in history, eng lit and ancient history so I'd say I do well in essay subjects and I enjoy all 3 very much. Would Classical Civilisation be considered a 'soft' option and thus make it harder to apply for uni? Is English Literature a huge challenge and a big jump from GCSE?
Reply 1
Original post by antique-prescrip
I want to do law/politics/history degree and I'm undecided whether to choose English or Classical Civilisation. I am predicted 8-9 in history, eng lit and ancient history so I'd say I do well in essay subjects and I enjoy all 3 very much. Would Classical Civilisation be considered a 'soft' option and thus make it harder to apply for uni? Is English Literature a huge challenge and a big jump from GCSE?

Classical civilisation is certainly not considered a soft subject. Where a university has a preferred list of subjects e.g. UCL, it is always included. Whether this or English lit is better, is purely down to which one you think you would enjoy more and get the better grades in.
Original post by antique-prescrip

Hi @antique-prescrip

Classical Civilisation shouldn't be considered as a soft subject. It isn't as common as English Lit because not everywhere offers it, however, classical studies have been considered a renowned area of study at top institutions for centuries. I would recommend doing the subject you enjoy the most as usually it is the enjoyment of a topic which facilitates achieving a good grade :smile: I did an English Lit A Level (admittedly around 6 years ago now) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, I ended up doing an English Lit degree despite the fact I initially chose English Lit as my AS subject which I intended to drop before A level (system was slightly different when I did my A levels). All A levels are a jump from GCSE but I wouldn't let that out you off, study what you enjoy and the rest will fall into place.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie
Reply 3
Either subject is fine.

Law does not require any specific A level subjects - just high grades.
So choose subjects which you will enjoy studying, and where you feel confident of high grades.

Quick Reply

Latest