The Student Room Group

Required/Complementary Subjects

Hi,
Im soo confused! :frown: I've just started my A/S levels in CS, Psychology, History, Biology and Chemistry, the reason for the sciences being keeping one of my possible career options in medicine/healthcare open. However, in the back of my mind I feel that I could also enjoy, and be successful at, studying History at Uni, and possibly even go on to teach History. Would my subjects in anyway hinder a History application if i decided to pursue this? By the way, I was 1 mark short of an A* at GCSE, if that is any indication of my abilities in the subject.
I hope you can help. Thanks in advance,
Laura xxx
The only requirement for History is itself.

I took Eng Lit and Biology along with History (and Geog at AS). Those choices wont hinder you as long as you show an ability in History.

They will like your open minded and diverse views.
Thanks, md red uk, that is somewhat of a relief as I noticed that a lot of History students on the forum had taken arts only subjects :smile:.
Reply 3
loradora68
Thanks, md red uk, that is somewhat of a relief as I noticed that a lot of History students on the forum had taken arts only subjects :smile:.

I took Biology and Chemistry as well, and only got an A at GCSE history- still got into Oxford and all my other choices.

It really isn't a problem- in fact it can be a benefit to take sciences

Even history isn't absolutely necessary at some universities.
Trier
I took Biology and Chemistry as well, and only got an A at GCSE history- still got into Oxford and all my other choices.

It really isn't a problem- in fact it can be a benefit to take sciences

Even history isn't absolutely necessary at some universities.

:biggrin: That's fantastic. What do you plan to do after completing your History studies, Trier?
Reply 5
loradora68
:biggrin: That's fantastic. What do you plan to do after completing your History studies, Trier?

I'm probably going to go on to study the Law- although I'm not really that sure at the moment.
loradora68
Hi,
Im soo confused! :frown: I've just started my A/S levels in CS, Psychology, History, Biology and Chemistry, the reason for the sciences being keeping one of my possible career options in medicine/healthcare open. However, in the back of my mind I feel that I could also enjoy, and be successful at, studying History at Uni, and possibly even go on to teach History. Would my subjects in anyway hinder a History application if i decided to pursue this? By the way, I was 1 mark short of an A* at GCSE, if that is any indication of my abilities in the subject.
I hope you can help. Thanks in advance,
Laura xxx

I did History, Physics, Chemistry, Music and Welsh, so not particularly complementary subjects, on the surface...and I got into Cambridge...so your subjects should be absolutely fine :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending