The Student Room Group

can i study nursing with sociology, health and social, history a levels

my gcse grades were not the best and i was quite limited with my results. i managed to pass everything with decent grades and i went for sociology, health and social btec and religious studies. I researched and noticed these were complementary for nursing but i am still unsure. the university im aiming for is uni of southampton. and i do have a few other options . i just want some advice on things i should do like experience to make my personal statement better. guys im quite scared are my a level subjects okay?

EDIT: i have decided to switch RS/RE alevel to History a level due to the fact that re isn't the best a level and history is more respected in uni.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by averse-commoner
my gcse grades were not the best and i was quite limited with my results. i managed to pass everything with decent grades and i went for sociology, health and social btec and religious studies. I researched and noticed these were complementary for nursing but i am still unsure. the university im aiming for is uni of southampton. and i do have a few other options . i just want some advice on things i should do like experience to make my personal statement better. guys im quite scared are my a level subjects okay?

You A level / BTEC combination is fine. Southampton specifically say that they're happy with it here: "D in the BTEC National Extended Certificate plus BB in two A-level subjects." For BTECs that also say, "We accept Health studies or science".

("Health studies" isn't a separate BTEC, but is a "pathway" within the Health and Social Care Extended Diploma where you pick the science-oriented optional modules. It doesn't really exist for the Extended Certificate you're taking, as you only get to do one optional module anyway. Your Health and Social Care Extended Certificate will be fine.)

You say "my gcse grades were not the best"; did you manage to get English Language, Mathematics and Science at grade 4/C?
Original post by DataVenia
You A level / BTEC combination is fine. Southampton specifically say that they're happy with it here: "D in the BTEC National Extended Certificate plus BB in two A-level subjects." For BTECs that also say, "We accept Health studies or science".

("Health studies" isn't a separate BTEC, but is a "pathway" within the Health and Social Care Extended Diploma where you pick the science-oriented optional modules. It doesn't really exist for the Extended Certificate you're taking, as you only get to do one optional module anyway. Your Health and Social Care Extended Certificate will be fine.)

You say "my gcse grades were not the best"; did you manage to get English Language, Mathematics and Science at grade 4/C?

Thank you so much for replying. yes i was i managed to get 5s eng and 4s in maths chem and bio.
Thank you so much for replying. yes i was i managed to get 5s eng and 4s in maths chem and bio.

Perfect. That you meet the requirements at Southampton, and presumably other unis too. The answer to your "are my a level subjects okay?" is a definite "Yes". :smile:
Original post by DataVenia
Perfect. That you meet the requirements at Southampton, and presumably other unis too. The answer to your "are my a level subjects okay?" is a definite "Yes". :smile:

Thank you so much <3333 i was so worried about my subjects being okay or not for nursing thank you !!!!
Reply 5

Good luck with your journey!! As the other person said there are no specific requirements but your health and social will help you immensely as they do prefer applicants to have some sort of health/science course at college level.
Now you need to decide on the specific course as there are many to choose from at Southampton! I am starting my adult and child integrated masters nursing course at Southampton in a few weeks time and something I noticed at my interview is once you meet the minimum grade requirements they no longer apply. Meeting the minimum requirements is just the first step, make sure to bulk out that personal statement and definitely practise for interviews. I was very nervous but as long as you’re passionate and have some relevant work experience you can refer back to you’ll do amazing.
AH i see thank you ! i hope you have a wonderful time studying that courseeee. i will be looking for work experience at pharmacy, hospitals and im going to volunteer a lot. i have decided after a levels im looking at a bsc (child) nursing degree. i wanna expand my personal statement as much as i can im thinking of doing a leadership role at school but yes. i just need to do some research on how to make my statement perfect as possible!
Reply 7
AH i see thank you ! i hope you have a wonderful time studying that courseeee. i will be looking for work experience at pharmacy, hospitals and im going to volunteer a lot. i have decided after a levels im looking at a bsc (child) nursing degree. i wanna expand my personal statement as much as i can im thinking of doing a leadership role at school but yes. i just need to do some research on how to make my statement perfect as possible!

Sounds perfect! Good luck, and hopefully I’ll see you at the offer older day next year (I’m aiming to be a student ambassador so will hopefully be there too)!

Congratulations on completing your GCSE's! :smile:

Your subjects are great for nursing, and as others have suggested, it really does depend on the university and their entry requirements. Most specifically ask for GCSE's in Maths and English at certain grades too (they may also ask for a science at set grade at GCSE).

Your personal statement will be a big part of your application too, which is a chance for you to demonstrate why you would like to become a nurse and what has inspired you (and to describe all the skills that come with it!) Even if you have a part time job, you can use your experience to demonstrate how it helped to provide you with transferrable skills into nursing.

Good luck and have a great enrolment into Sixth Form!
Original post by Feeb_05
Sounds perfect! Good luck, and hopefully I’ll see you at the offer older day next year (I’m aiming to be a student ambassador so will hopefully be there too)!

Thank you! Good luck to you too i pray that you will be able become a student ambassador and when you do im sure youll be amazing at it. I hope i do see you there tooo. Best wishess
Original post by CCCU Health Rep
Congratulations on completing your GCSE's! :smile:

Your subjects are great for nursing, and as others have suggested, it really does depend on the university and their entry requirements. Most specifically ask for GCSE's in Maths and English at certain grades too (they may also ask for a science at set grade at GCSE).

Your personal statement will be a big part of your application too, which is a chance for you to demonstrate why you would like to become a nurse and what has inspired you (and to describe all the skills that come with it!) Even if you have a part time job, you can use your experience to demonstrate how it helped to provide you with transferrable skills into nursing.

Good luck and have a great enrolment into Sixth Form!

Thank you so much! I'm glad to hear my subjects will do well in nursing!!! And as mentioned i will be looking at the entry requirements and searching for a good list of universities. As for my personal statement im going to start building it now, im thinking of starting new extra curricular subs and getting a lot of work experience although im still looking at other ways to expand it. Thank you for the advice, and best of wishes to you!!!
Thank you so much! I'm glad to hear my subjects will do well in nursing!!! And as mentioned i will be looking at the entry requirements and searching for a good list of universities. As for my personal statement im going to start building it now, im thinking of starting new extra curricular subs and getting a lot of work experience although im still looking at other ways to expand it. Thank you for the advice, and best of wishes to you!!!

You're welcome! For ways of expanding it, you can include your interests and hobbies as these often have qualities that can relate to becoming a nurse :smile:
Original post by CCCU Health Rep
You're welcome! For ways of expanding it, you can include your interests and hobbies as these often have qualities that can relate to becoming a nurse :smile:

thank youuu !! ill keep that in mind . i also want to make an edit that i will e switching a level RS/RE with History because it is more respected at university but il still not sure.
thank youuu !! ill keep that in mind . i also want to make an edit that i will e switching a level RS/RE with History because it is more respected at university but il still not sure.

In your overall application, universities will see the subjects you are studying, so you could mention it in a way that would support your skills when at university (such as how learning about key events in History helps to develop critical thinking skills and developing a sense of identity as a nurse) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending