The Student Room Group

Sherlock

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Vimes
Was I the only person who had worked out the murderer was a taxi driver within the first 5 minutes? Kinda disappointingly obvious but I still enjoyed it. Hope they'll make it a regular show rather than just a 3 parter.

I think it was meant to be like that, double bluff and the such, tying themes whist connecting you with the character as you simply deduce the obvious.

anyone had a crack at this yet?

http://www.thescienceofdeduction.co.uk/hidden-messages
Vimes
Was I the only person who had worked out the murderer was a taxi driver within the first 5 minutes? Kinda disappointingly obvious but I still enjoyed it. Hope they'll make it a regular show rather than just a 3 parter.

Yeah. The moment he said "She never made it to the hotel" I thought it must be a taxi driver.

It was still entertaining though. They made Sherlock a bit too Doctor Who-y, but other than that it was great. Glad to see it wasn't too much of a kiddy show like these comedy/drama shows on the BBC usually are. I love Benedict Cumberbatch, seen him in quite a few things over the years and always thought he deserved the lead in a prime-time show.
riotgrrrl

Not something that I'd seen before, but the first one's not too tricky :smile:

Clue

Answer

I think I might have to explore the rest of the BBC's related sites... :holmes: (the perfect smilie!)
riotgrrrl
I think it was meant to be like that, double bluff and the such, tying themes whist connecting you with the character as you simply deduce the obvious.

Glad I read Simon Singh's Code Book :holmes:
Reply 24
Vimes

the "how to abduct people off a busy street" was the main giveaway for me but the missing case probably gave it away to the keener viewer

also was totally expecting a princess bride situation during the two pills showdown, let down :frown:
Reply 25
Really enjoyed this episode :yy: the taxi driver scenario was fairly obvious but I thought it worked well regardless. Definitely looking forward to next weeks :holmes:
Just finished watching it. Brilliant, brilliant episode. It's good to see some good drama on BBC. I hope this takes off with the mass audience (it's been relatively under-hyped) and they continue this past the 3 scheduled episodes. God knows, we need shows like this. :nooo:

I also loved how it was like a mini-movie (1 hour 30 mins).
Reply 27
I watched this last night and adored it. I haven't read the books, and I only saw one film "Young Sherlock Holmes" or something, which I actually really liked.

I liked the edginess of the episode, and I can't wait for the next one! It's something to fill the gap after Doctor Who's finished, really. I also agree that he would be a good doctor, I kept thinking that while I was watching him.
Reply 28
Was I the only one that didn't see it as being a cab driver? :colondollar:
Reply 29
Vimes

I thought that that was pretty obvious as well tbh. Despite that I still really enjoyed the episode, the 90 minutes flew by!

It felt so incredibly similar to the recent film though which was sometimes slightly jarring.

The modern day setting did work perfectly and I must say each person was cast perfectly. Holmes looks weird enough but dangerous enough to pull off the role and Freeman is as good as ever. One thing that did annoy me sometimes was when Holmes was walking through his deducements, he seemed to speak quiter the faster he went which made understanding him very hard.
Reply 30
Ape Gone Insane
Just finished watching it. Brilliant, brilliant episode. It's good to see some good drama on BBC. I hope this takes off with the mass audience (it's been relatively under-hyped) and they continue this past the 3 scheduled episodes. God knows, we need shows like this. :nooo:

I also loved how it was like a mini-movie (1 hour 30 mins).

I can't believe the complete lack of advertising the BBC has done with regards to this. I would never have known about it if I hadn't of stalked through some of the forums on TSR.
Reply 31
I thought it was teriffic. Dr Watson became a warm, believable character, while Holmes remained an interesting, slightly mysterious one.

Really looking forward to the next episode.
Reply 32
Colonel Brusnahan
Was I the only one that didn't see it as being a cab driver? :colondollar:

I didn't realise til he was standing in the doorway :/
Reply 33
I only realised when they looked at the cab across the road, and they made particular effort not to show the cabbie in the picture, hang on.... He's out of the way... OMGZORZ ITZ HIM.
Just watched it :smile:

Pretty much guessed who Mark Gatiss's character was straight away ... only I thought it was his father. Only one generation off then ;P

I've not actually seen anything Sherlock Holmes before ... at least not fully. I need to watch the latest film though ... but I really enjoyed this. It had great pace, humour and a good balance of light to dark. There were moments where I laughed out loud and a couple of good revelations in there :smile: Great story telling from Moffat &co. The one thing that got on my nerves was that particular transition they kept using, when the door opens. Although I'll probably try and copy that in something during my next year of uni :awesome:

I agree, 9/10, mainly because 10/10 implies something is perfect and nothing really is XD
LastLordofTime
Just watched it :smile:

Pretty much guessed who Mark Gatiss's character was straight away ... only I thought it was his father. Only one generation off then ;P

It reminded me so much of Mark's episode on Psychoville. Though I liked the twist here anyway

~

Also 'Benedict Cumberbatch' teehee
Oh, another thing I didn't like about the episode. When Sherlock is telling Watson the address, that mouth click thing he did ... yeah, just felt wrong to me XD
riotgrrrl

Trivial.

If you want a man's game then play this:

http://www.grngecko.com/torment.html
Reply 38
Loved it, trust the BBC to get something entertaining on. The dialogue was witty, the deductive explanations were well handled and the integration with modern-day London seemed very natural, excellent stuff overall. Did anyone else think Mycroft was actually Moriarty when Watson was first abducted?
Reply 39
Flying Scotsman
Trivial.

If you want a man's game then play this:

http://www.grngecko.com/torment.html

ooo I wanna play. so I entered torment and todom into the first solution box and keep on going back tothat picture, I'm guessing thats a clue right? (the instructions are probably as vague as they come intentionally)

EDIT: Ok figured out you have to press submit not enter and I'm onto the next one whoop!

EDIT EDIT: Definately not playing this in the creepy study rooms, why do the pictures have to be so scary?
This si definately not a game to play in a dark study room

Quick Reply

Latest