The Student Room Group

Personal statement help

Hi
I am writing my ps for english lit and am writing about my interest in detective novels, in particular the sherlock holmes series. Could I mention the board game and the tv series/ adaptations to expand or would that be too un-academic?
Original post by Pandasarecute65
Hi
I am writing my ps for english lit and am writing about my interest in detective novels, in particular the sherlock holmes series. Could I mention the board game and the tv series/ adaptations to expand or would that be too un-academic?

Hi there,

I have recently just completed my English Literature degree, so I can offer some advice on your personal statement!

What I think is that we all have hobbies that we are interested in outside of our academics and sometimes it is a good idea to pinpoint hobbies that potentially link to the course you are interested in studying! The hobbies section of a personal statement is all about showcasing that you are a teenager and like to do activities outside of school, showing that you are human! Thus, there is nothing wrong with saying you enjoy popular culture in regards to detective fiction. In fact, in my third year, we studied some mystery/detective novels and actually looked at what board games and series there were in relation to the novels e.g. Cluedo. The thinking behind this was that we were looking at what features of popular culture stem from literature!

I hope this has been useful. Good luck :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate
Original post by Pandasarecute65
Hi

Hi Panda,

Feel free to mention any kind of expanded media in your personal statement if it has relevance to what you enjoy as a literature student.

As a literature student myself I can advocate that universities welcome all different kinds of media as literature. My uni has recently started offering games courses for writers too, where they think about games as literature!

Hope this helps,
Dom

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending