The Student Room Group

Reue finally got visited by the Tv Licence Inspectors!

.. But he was out. Opps.

They did however leave the usual threatening letters, plus this one gem I thought i'd share with you in order to point out some of their frequently used scare tactics:

So, in response to their 'reasoning' for giving me a priority visit:

- They can write to me as much as they like, as can anyone else in the world.. does not mean I am under any obligation to write back to them, just like anyone else in the world.

- How can they get away with so clearly accusing me of being a criminal? I may have bought a tv device.. does not mean I'm using it to watch live tv and thus breaking the law. It would be like the police writing to you saying "You've recently bought a knife to go around stabbing people with..".

- Ive not been accepted because im not giving you any money, morons.

- Clearly its completely incomprehendable to them that someone might actually cancel a tv licence without needing to renew it.

And finally they end with the old "Even if you DONT have a tv.. we still need to come round and harrass you".

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You haven't got a telly license?!

you're crazy reue.

/thread. :teehee:
They remind me of Mr Rooney.

Reply 3
What are you going to do when they bust down your front door with the tv sniffing hounds foaming at the mouth trying to catch you watching live T.V?
Are you watching live shows on TV? :holmes:
Reply 5
Finbar21
What are you going to do when they bust down your front door with the tv sniffing hounds foaming at the mouth trying to catch you watching live T.V?

Throw the tv at them and leggit.
Reply 6
:lol:
Because a knifes primary use is to stab people...

But the rest I agree with.
Reply 8
Idiot-Finder

Depends where you are from...
Reply 9
What's your reason for not having one? Are you being a bad ass or do you have a reason through the T&Cs?
Idiot-Finder

Don't you use a knife to cut your food :confused:
Reply 11
PJ991
What's your reason for not having one? Are you being a bad ass or do you have a reason through the T&Cs?

Because I dont need one :smile:
Reply 12
Amuses me to read such stuff. People come up with all sorts of reasons why they shouldn't pay.

Then have to come up with a reason not to pay the fine.
lyrical_lie
Don't you use a knife to cut your food :confused:

Yes
The sooner they force the BBC to find its own bloody money like every other broadcaster does, the sooner we can stop this guilty until proven innocent licencing bullcrap :colonhash:
Reply 15
mart2306
Amuses me to read such stuff. People come up with all sorts of reasons why they shouldn't pay.

You mean this fine:

The average fine for TV licence evaders last year was just £1.50 more than the £135.50 fee.

Ministry of Justice figures showed only two of the 120,114 people fined were hit with the £1,000 maximum.

And 841 people found guilty of evasion escaped without any fine.

Minister Maria Eagle revealed the details yesterday.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/12/16/tv-licence-fine-is-1-50-more-than-fee-115875-20974258/
Reply 16
mart2306

I think because I don't watch TV is a good one. I own a TV to play my games consoles and occasionally watch a film. If I want to see something that was broadcast I find it on a catch-up service. My TV is not capable of receiving broadcast, therefore I do not pay.
Reue
You mean this fine:

The average fine for TV licence evaders last year was just £1.50 more than the £135.50 fee.

on one allowable reading that means that the average fine levied was £137, with those caught still liable to pay the licence fee as well, of course.
Reply 18
cambio wechsel
on one allowable reading that means that the average fine levied was £137, with those caught still liable to pay the licence fee as well, of course.

Ah of course. However as Ive lived here for a year now and have yet to be fined.. even if I were caught, fined and forced to buy a tv licence from now on.. im still pretty much breaking even.

All assuming i actually need a licence anyway.
I've just moved into a new house and one of their warning letters to "the occupier" was waiting for us, telling us that we've been visited by their enforcement officers but nobody was in and suggesting that someone was watching tv illegally inside! The house has been empty for about six months! Perhaps their "special detection equipment" isn't working :s-smilie:

Latest