The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't know how to drive.. lol!
racoon97
How do you feel about it? Has it impacted your University lifestyle?

I have passed my driving, two years ago. However, I still have no car and rely on public transport. :frown:
The attitude of not needing to drive is so flawed. Sure nobody needs one at uni, but you're almost definitely going to need one at some point in your life. You may as well learn.
Reply 63
I don't- it's annoying sometimes, I wish I could. But it's not made THAT much of a difference.

Uni wise I live pretty close to home. Trains are cheap and my parents give me a lift if I need car storage. I don't know what I will do for shopping next year though when my friends with cars graduate... I might have to get a taxi which will not be good for the finances. Or maybe get one of those granny shopping trolly things. Or have delivery. We'll see.

It is very useful for shopping though, and day trips, having someone with a car.

At home it is even more useful since there is nothing in my hometown, luckily I have a friend with a full time job who usually drives if we want to go out of town, and a train station if not, and the shops are close.
Reply 64
Me! But I need to learn.. this summer hopefully

I didn't mind going shopping with no car, carrying the heavy bags made me feel like my arms were getting stronger :biggrin:
I don't drive, I couldn't afford all the lessons, tests, car and insurance. I'm happy at the moment just walking and getting public transport. My friends offer me a lift a lot of the time too. Sometimes it's depressing but that's life.
Reply 66
I can drive, but I don't need to..I will wait until after i've been to uni to buy a car and take up driving again.
I don't drive, because I can't afford to finish learning!

I get chauffered around by my parents most of the time, or get cabs everywhere.
Reply 68
I'm 20 and I don't drive. My parents are bugging me to get my drivers license for the longest time now, but I just don't thinkl I'll be worlds best driver - honestly I'm too afraid to drive right now. I'll do it when I'll really feel ready - I really don't want to waste my money (or my parents money) on the tests and everything and then fail.
It doesn't affect my life at university at all (plus I'm a very patient person - I can wait for a bus forever and not complain :biggrin: )
racoon97
How do you feel about it? Has it impacted your University lifestyle?

Oh the car expenses, whoo its me. I tell you, if you don't have a income, don't bother with a car. Debt or money out will just increase increase.

Car is a essential weaponary, for yourself, your life and to impress (thats if you have a sexy car)

my first car orginally was a 1.2 engine Fiat, lol funny i know then insured on my mum's car as 2nd driver, as Honda civic, having saved up money for many years + help from my dad, i have a mercedes.

If i did not drive, imagine how much money i would have saved up more hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
roxy potter
I'm turning 23 next month and I don't drive, I just never got round to it. Hopefully I'll be able to learn this year.
And in most unis, people with cars are in the minority. Students walk, and cycle, and get the bus.

I imagine in London its impossible. I doubt anyone is so foolish to have a car there, unless your loaded and can afford a £200k lease on a songle garage.
I'm taking lessons at the moment but I won't get a car since I'm moving out for uni and I can't afford it :frown: . Might as well get my license now and keep it so when I buy a car three yeas later my insurance will be cheaper.
I've been looking into the whole car situation, but then again, the train system in the UK will get you pretty much anywhere within 5 hours at tops, so what's the point? I use it now to do jobs (roaming musician :wink: ) but at uni, I think I'll get myself taken off the insurance and just use public transport to get myself home, and speak very nicely to my parents to take me places if I'm in a hurry :p:
I don't, because I know my concentration level is bad enough that if I did, I'd end up killing someone. XD
No I dont drive, but thats coz I'm 16 so I cant yet...
Jangrafess
I can't drive and I've never had a lesson. I don't need to. No one needs to drive in London or Manchester really, the public transport is great and most stuff at uni is within walking distance. It's nearly always cheaper to get the train between cities. I can't see myself learning for a long time, tbh.

Wouldn't you want to pass your driving test as early as possible, even though you don't want to drive in the near future?.
I've passed but it's too expensive for me to get insured on any car. Don't think it's really affected me much at uni.
I'm only 17 yet, but the thought of learning to drive doesn't really excite me...so I think I'll just keep putting it off for a bit longer :smile:
I don't drive; more importantly, I don't care.
Reply 79
I have a licencse, but don't have a car, and don't really have any real motivation or desire for a car at the moment.
Money I don't have.

Latest

Trending

Trending