The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6540
Original post by JellyyBeanyy
Mmmmm so do I :rolleyes:

Why are you rolling your eyes at my post? :s-smilie: I was just saying.
Original post by dior
Why are you rolling your eyes at my post? :s-smilie: I was just saying.

I wasnt rolling my eyes lol! I was tryna do a dreamy face hahaha sorryyyy :tongue:
Reply 6542
Original post by JellyyBeanyy
I wasnt rolling my eyes lol! I was tryna do a dreamy face hahaha sorryyyy :tongue:

Oh right, okay. :laugh:

He makes me wet. :coma:
Original post by Phalanges

Watched The Truman Show tonight. It has been years since I saw it and I don't think I fully appreciated it back then. It's a brilliant film, so well made. Carrey is really good in it, but I still wasn't too impressed by him - I hate the goofy crap he always brings. But you get swept up in the emotion of the story and it's one hell of a ride. One thing's for sure; Weir is a terrific and often overlooked director.

What I thought was really frightening about the concept is that in the forseable future I can actually see it happening :/ (I always think of the future as a dystopia:dontknow:)
Original post by dior
Oh right, okay. :laugh:

He makes me wet. :coma:

I knowwww, he's so gorgeous! :love:
Have any of you seen The Green Hornet yet?
Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon
Have any of you seen The Green Hornet yet?

Nope, I wanted to but lots of reviews have been terrible =/

Have you?
Watching Heart and Souls later

:coma:
I just finished watching Into the Wild and I dont really know what I think of it.. it is amazing that it was based on a true story and the way they captured the wildlife is really interesting but otherwise..I dunno.

Has anyone else seen it? what did u think of it?
Original post by MizzCupcakes
I just finished watching Into the Wild and I dont really know what I think of it.. it is amazing that it was based on a true story and the way they captured the wildlife is really interesting but otherwise..I dunno.

Has anyone else seen it? what did u think of it?

I watched it a couple of weeks ago and couldnt help but sob at the end.

I quite liked it overall :smile:
Original post by sheep_go_baa
What I thought was really frightening about the concept is that in the forseable future I can actually see it happening :/ (I always think of the future as a dystopia:dontknow:)

Is it that frightening though? Truman certainly had a better life than he would have done otherwise, and had far better quality of life than most of the people working on the show. Does it matter if it's not real if you're not aware of that? I don't think it's as black and white as instinctively it feels.

Original post by Madjackismad
I'm guessing that's maybe Chuck Palahniuk influenced by Burgess more, but it's funny that Fincher directed Fight Club.

Yeah, I think that's the key. Fincher's work doesn't thematically show the same sort of trend as Clockwork Orange, whereas Palahniuk's does.
Is it that frightening though? Truman certainly had a better life than he would have done otherwise, and had far better quality of life than most of the people working on the show. Does it matter if it's not real if you're not aware of that? I don't think it's as black and white as instinctively it feels.

It's more to do with the fact that the majority of people have no objections to enclosing someone into a 'fake' world for entertainment.
Reply 6552
I have watched three films in the past ten days and I thought I'd share my thoughts:

King's Speech - 8/10 (funny, warm and excellent acting on the part of Firth and Rush).

127 Hours - 7/10 (gruesome - love James Franco. He was great here and he was amazing in Milk - serious actor).

Social Network - 7/10 (Good film - though, I now have a very low opinion of Facebook creator, Mark Zuckerberg. If the film is just 10% true he is still a sociopath and a generally nasty human being).
(edited 13 years ago)

It's more to do with the fact that the majority of people have no objections to enclosing someone into a 'fake' world for entertainment.

I think the majority of people did have a problem with it on some level, hence

Spoiler

But that's more to do with herd mentality. If 20 people see someone get mugged responsibility is divided between them and people are far less likely to intervene than if they were the only witness. All that's the difference here is the grand scale of billions that are part of the herd.
I think the majority of people did have a problem with it on some level, hence

Spoiler

But that's more to do with herd mentality. If 20 people see someone get mugged responsibility is divided between them and people are far less likely to intervene than if they were the only witness. All that's the difference here is the grand scale of billions that are part of the herd.

Yup, that scale of conformity is what I find frightening. Although it's nothing new I suppose.
The Social Network a 7/10? Seriously? It's easily one of the best movies I saw last year, if not the best. A full 10/10 IMO. If it didn't have Sorkin writing, then it would've probably had been a 8 or 9 out of 10.

But most of his 'friends' were actors along with his own wife.. I'd much rather live in a world where I know that those who have befriended me have done so because they genuinely want to, as apposed to having to do it as a job.. They're just different types of realities, one being true and the other being a lie.
I guess it's kind of like the whole 'So, do you want to take the blue pill, or the red pill?'. :redface:
Original post by Cuckoo91

Original post by Cuckoo91
But most of his 'friends' were actors along with his own wife.. I'd much rather live in a world where I know that those who have befriended me have done so because they genuinely want to, as apposed to having to do it as a job.. They're just different types of realities, one being true and the other being a lie.
I guess it's kind of like the whole 'So, do you want to take the blue pill, or the red pill?'. :redface:

But as far he was aware he "knew" that his friends wanted to be as such.

You should always take the blue pill. The bits of the films that didn't take place in the Matrix were rubbish by comparison. :p:
Reply 6558
Original post by Madjackismad
The Social Network a 7/10? Seriously? It's easily one of the best movies I saw last year, if not the best. A full 10/10 IMO. If it didn't have Sorkin writing, then it would've probably had been a 8 or 9 out of 10.

Well a 7/10 is quite a good rating in my books. I can't ever see myself giving a 10/10.

I think the fact that I hated the characters, especially Mark Zuckerberg, tainted my enjoyment of the film. Plus, the ending wasn't the best, imo. I think the King's Speech, and especially the Black Swan, were markedly better than the Social Network.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Taper
Well a 7/10 is quite a good rating in my books. I can't ever see myself giving a 10/10.

I think the fact that I hated the characters, especially Mark Zuckerberg, tainted my enjoyment of the film. Plus, the ending wasn't the best, imo. I think the King's Speech, and especially the Black Swan, were markedly better than the Social Network.

Really? Are you just being tough on ratings for the sake of it? :p:

Plus, I think it's Fincher's turn to pick up an Oscar now. He deserves it tbh, The Social Network is a fantastic movie.

Latest