The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Phantom_X
I was simply talking about the general accusations toward muslim countries often preached in these types of churches. Burning a book does not impeach human rights no, but it does exemplify intolerance, exert hatred between peoples and in some ways even insults muslims by accusing them to be devil worshippers, if you read more of the blog.

1/2 of the typing was to do with rage too, my bad homes.

Thing is, I think these people are bafoons, but I must ask you to bear that in mind before I carry on.

Regards "intolerance" - I don't tolerate rape, because I consider it to be unacceptable. This people consider whatever they seen in Islam to be 'unacceptable', and thats fair enough.

Hatred - I can imagine that if one is a Christian, one may have distaste for those that suggest that Jesus was not the son of God and those that effectively say the Gospels are a pack of lies :p: Some people take things too far, big deal, their entitled to their opinion.

Insult - they have a right to insult in a free country. And if thats what they believe, well, thats what they believe. Cant help it. A fifth of people in New Jersey think Obama's the antichrist. People are allowed to believe what they want to.

Just in general, they live in a free country and these things are permissible in such a place imho.
This is exactly why I don't belong to any church.
Reply 282
jammythedodger
Thing is, I think these people are bafoons, but I must ask you to bear that in mind before I carry on.

Regards "intolerance" - I don't tolerate rape, because I consider it to be unacceptable. This people consider whatever they seen in Islam to be 'unacceptable', and thats fair enough.

Hatred - I can imagine that if one is a Christian, one may have distaste for those that suggest that Jesus was not the son of God and those that effectively say the Gospels are a pack of lies :p: Some people take things too far, big deal, their entitled to their opinion.

Insult - they have a right to insult in a free country. And if thats what they believe, well, thats what they believe. Cant help it. A fifth of people in New Jersey think Obama's the antichrist. People are allowed to believe what they want to.

Just in general, they live in a free country and these things are permissible in such a place imho.

So if people tolerate rape, its okay for them to actually rape? If they believe its okay to kill, they can indeed kill?

Beliefs are one thing, but acting on them is another
chigz32
So if people tolerate rape, its okay for them to actually rape? If they believe its okay to kill, they can indeed kill?

Beliefs are one thing, but acting on them is another

It's burning a book... not an Imam.

Well... the point I was making that people are a bit silly if the throw about PC keywords like "intolerance" and then proceed to be intolerant of their actions.

I agree we SHOULD be intolerant of things, just we (society/parlieament/whatever) need to make the decision what it is. Claiming that "intolerance" is a bad thing out and out is silly.
The muslims are even bigger children for the reaction they will no doubt give.
Reply 285
I agree with you OP.

Except that it's not like this in Britain. While there aren't so many openly negative extremist views, and it's less 'tolerated', there are sadly still people like this here :frown:
The thing is that they have to find a quran, and after publicising this, I doubt they will.

religious nutjob protest fail
Reply 287
The Christian right in the USA hits a new low. :yy:

There have been a million and one celebrated American born-again evangelists and televangelists who were exposed as paedophilic homosexual sinners, widespread criticism for their use of influence to ban the teaching of evolution in schools, the fact that they broadly know so little about international affairs and yet make the loudest noises to influence every group they can despite being ridden with corruption, the fact they have Ann Coulter, and now this...

:facepalm2:
Reply 288
Where was I when this thread got started? Sleeping.....

But then again this is America. I wont be surprised when some Muslim dude decides to sue "Allah", because he couldnt keep his promise to protect the Quran.
JAKstriked
The muslims are even bigger children for the reaction they will no doubt give.

It's our holy book, why wouldn't we get pissed off?
TheProdigy2k9

Doesn't religion teach turning the other cheek and forgiveness? If you believe what they're doing is as bad as it is, then surely an eternity in hellfire will sort them out?

but hey, knocking down a couple more towers may do wonders for international relations.
Suetonius
I'm only opposed to this because I'm vehemently opposed to the burning of books (especially considering its connotations). I also think its terribly hypocritical for another faith-based organisation to be doing this. Nonetheless, if this was something other than a book - for example, "Burn a maniquin of the Prophet Mohammed Day" - and carried out by non-believers then I'd have no objections at all. Muslims don't have to do it if they don't want to, but there can be no credible argument made to prevent me from doing it. I don't believe in this nonsense. As far as I'm concerned, Mohammed was a nobody who deserves to be condemned because of his perverse sexual behaviour. Any religious arguments are meaningless to me. I saw people burning maniquins of Gordon Brown on bonfire night. The reaction Muslims should show to cases of non-believers doing this to their so-called prophet should be exactly the same as Labour Party supporters on that occasion. Either complete indifference or acceptance that their faith is held to be irrational and destructive by many across the globe.

You see, it's all about who's more powerful... many centuries ago, when the Muslims had the upper hand, no one could do or say such things as the west is saying/doing today, in fact, some Muslims (sometimes) transgressed and oppressed people belonging to other faiths (Christians, Jews, Hindus)... and it wasn't so easy to forget for the oppressed people.

Once the oppressed got power, they remembered how they were being treated, and until now, Muslims suffer... because they aren't powerful any more...

But do you think that this will last forever? don't you think that like in the past, the Muslims won't restore their lost power?

Anyone who's familiar enough with history, would say that this situation isn't static, it will change, maybe it will take time... but some day, the Muslims will restore their power!

And then, what do you think will happen?

The west will suffer, as long as the Muslims are on top, the west will be oppressed...

& It will be globally just, because the Muslims were hurt so many times that they aren't about to forget how they were treated!

And they will treat twice badly those who treated them badly.

I'm not saying that I wish this scenario to occur, I'm only saying that this is the normal pattern of humanity Vs Power... because if you oppress others when you're strong, others will surely oppress you twice when you'll be weak.
Americans != some ridiculous church in Florida.

Not all of us are southern, or Christian, or stupid.

I'm sure there are serious levels of crazy people in both countries. I'm sure there are more in America, yeah... but shame on you for blaming an entire country for the faults of some group of nutcases.

Shame on them, more.
DJkG.1
The Christian right in the USA hits a new low. :yy:

There have been a million and one celebrated American born-again evangelists and televangelists who were exposed as paedophilic homosexual sinners, widespread criticism for their use of influence to ban the teaching of evolution in schools, the fact that they broadly know so little about international affairs and yet make the loudest noises to influence every group they can despite being ridden with corruption, the fact they have Ann Coulter, and now this...

:facepalm2:

You should watch the film "Jesus Camp" if you feel like getting angry and :facepalm:ing for an hour.

It's incredibly fascinating yet tremendously depressing all at once.
Reply 294
Phantom_X

At least in Britain we know what is right and wrong. It seems that such Americans are even more backward than the islamic fundamentalists.

Don't stereotype based on one radical faction.

No American I know (and believe me, all my 18 years of living in the States has introduced me to several) believes that Islam as a whole is to blame for the acts of the terrorists on 9/11. They distorted the teachings of the Koran. Obviously.

However, the US does contain morons, as does ANY country. I honestly don't know why our crazy minority is constantly taken for the majority.
TheProdigy2k9

Because they are burning a cheap copy, not "the" holy book and it doesn't affect your life in the slightest.

As a British person I'd prefer the union jack wasn't burnt by people, but if they do, who cares? Doesn't have any affect on my life whatsoever.
bri.waite
Don't stereotype based on one radical faction.

No American I know (and believe me, all my 18 years of living in the States has introduced me to several) believes that Islam as a whole is to blame for the acts of the terrorists on 9/11. They distorted the teachings of the Koran. Obviously.

However, the US does contain morons, as does ANY country. I honestly don't know why our crazy minority is constantly taken for the majority.

Thats a good point actually, possibly because you have such a large population, a minority is still a reasonably big number? Plus many of them seem great at publicising themselves. Politics could be to do with it as well. I know they aren't extremist, but its weird (to Europeans anyway) that religion plays such a big role in it.
Reply 297
callum9999
Thats a good point actually, possibly because you have such a large population, a minority is still a reasonably big number? Plus many of them seem great at publicising themselves. Politics could be to do with it as well. I know they aren't extremist, but its weird (to Europeans anyway) that religion plays such a big role in it.

I suppose so. I know Nixon is constantly mocked for his silent majority idea, but I think he was on the right track. It seems a lot of media like to go for sensationalist headlines and what makes those better than the crazies among us.
But religion, I'll admit, plays a larger role in day to day life in the US than it seems to in Europe. Though most people, especially among the younger generation, are quite rational about it and generally keep it as a personal choice.
I think all religious literature should be destroyed. People need to wake up, realise it's a joke that got out of hand and stop wasting their lives on religion and faith.

The believers state that faith will save us, everyone else can see that religion will destroy humanity.
Reply 299
It's america, what do you expect?

Latest

Trending

Trending